ISSUE
Step-by-step instructions for Do-It-Yourselfers for how to replace heater core

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Heater core replacement! Step by step with pictures

Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core replacement! Step by step with pictures

Hello all, thanks to everyone that helped me out with a previous post on "How to replace your heater core" This might come in handy this winter . This post has not only "black and white" pictures, but actual digital pictures as well. This was a great help, made things very simple! Enjoy

http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
i used these instructions today, had whole job done in about 5 hrs, awesome step by step instructions

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm glad they worked for you. Good job!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
just thought id send this back, i am no mechanic, but i followed these step by step instructions with actual digital pictures of all steps, It was a breeze.

enjoy

Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Great job and article. What type of foam tape did you use on the core?

In my 1999 F150 repair manual it states to squeeze the plastic tabs to release the hoses on the firewall side, did your year require a tool for that?

Thanks again for the great article and pictures.

Forgot to mention I'm originally from Buffalo now living in FL, but not to warm this winter so far!

Last edited by MrTruck352; 01-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Actually the foam i used was given to me from the dealership. Im not sure if it was the right one, but it worked. as long as one side is sticky and the other is not, probably 1/4 inch thick. Looks like something used to seal a door, almost like a weather stripping.

In order to squeeze the tabs, you need the special tool. But because i planned to replace the heater hoses, I just chopped off the inlet and outlet ports right off the old heater core on the cabin side of the firewall.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Great document, thanks for the contribution. I will be using it soon as my heater core started leaking on a long trip yesterday.

On step 10, that's not the diagnostics port. That's an aftermarket anti-theft device called pro-lock (now out of business). Some dealers installed it when the vehicle comes in, then if you don't purchase, they put a blank in the contact slot to bypass it.

Upadte: I'm half way through the job and this guide is fantastic! Thank you! There were 2 screws on the very top of the dash under two covers that pop off near the windshield that were not listed, but again - THANKS!

Last edited by ishootstuff; 03-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
rkd
This is a good writeup. Need to do this.

Can someone give me a part number or description for the heater hose disconnect tool?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Great document, thanks for the contribution. I will be using it soon as my heater core started leaking on a long trip yesterday.

On step 10, that's not the diagnostics port. That's an aftermarket anti-theft device called pro-lock (now out of business). Some dealers installed it when the vehicle comes in, then if you don't purchase, they put a blank in the contact slot to bypass it.

Upadte: I'm half way through the job and this guide is fantastic! Thank you! There were 2 screws on the very top of the dash under two covers that pop off near the windshield that were not listed, but again - THANKS!
I hear ya, i forgot to add those two screws in, when you get to that point, its fairly simple to realize the dash is being held up in that area. I will try and add that in. Thanks:

Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 AM
one more question

First and foremost THANKS for the info! I will be starting this job this week.
I am stuck on the foam thing. I want to have all the parts before I start. Did the dealer include that when you bought the new core? You think regular weather stripping will work(have that, I am a Handyman). Did you replace the O-rings with new from the dealer or can I use the old ones? I will be doing a new radiator and water pump along with this.

Thanks
Mark

Old 03-20-2010, 03:47 PM
The foam tape i got by fluke, when i was at Ford buying my heater core one of the mechanics walked by and over heard me asking the parts guys for this foam tape. The parts guy had no idea what i was talking about, the tape was not showing up in the parts list. The mechanic went to the garage and got me some of the stuff they use. The original foam that i took off was about 2" wide. the stuff he gave me was 1" wide, so all i did was placed 2 stips side by side. I never knew what the stuff was until at i saw it at an auto store. Its weather stripping for cars, used for doors and other areas. You could use
house weather stripping as well. Its a strip of foam with one side being sticky. Stick it all the way around the outside of the heater core.

As for the o-rings, i changed my 2 heater hoses as i did not have the special tool to remove the old ones, so i had to cut them off. When i purchased the hoses for Ford, they came with new o-rings and clips installed, all one peice, cost a bit more but all brand new parts and just had to clip in the new hoses to the new heater core.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:56 AM
where can i find these instruction on how to remove the dash to replace the heater core?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM
henry68gomez here is the link
http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 AM
if u use disposable plastic cups instead of baggies u can just number and stack the cups with screws in them, then they are already in the right order to put everything back together

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by henry68gomez
where can i find these instruction on how to remove the dash to replace the heater core?
There's a link on my first post above ??????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater core replacement! Step by step with pictures