1997 - 2003 F-150

drop fuel tank or remove bed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop fuel tank or remove bed?

I have a 2001 F150 that I have to replace the fuel pump on. I was wondering if I could raise the bed vs. dropping the fuel tank to access the pump and if so, is it easier to raise the bed considering I will be doing the job in my driveway with no lift, floor jack, or ramps. I should mention that I do have a bedliner.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I lifted the bed (by myself,using a come-a-long attached to my carport), as I didn't want to disconnect the fuel lines by feel, and my tank was 3/4 full. Because of the way the bed wraps around the cab, you can't just lift the bed straight up, but must slide it back and up (I didn't take off the bumper, so I had to lift the back of the bed high enough to clear it ... next time I'll remove the bumper). If you do remove the bed, pad the front of the bed, where it wraps around the cab to prevent scratching the cab. Good luck to you, which ever route you chose.

Bed lifted and slid back, sitting on wood blocks on the frame ...

Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info and the photo. I think removing the bed will be a better solution vs. dropping the tank.

Did the bed unbolt from the top or the bottom? I have a bed liner and I dont want to remove it if I don't have to.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
the bed unbolts from the top....., and u will ned to remove ur bedliner....... its not that hard, the bed bolts are a t-45(atleast that is what i used)

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I was just under the truck trying to undo the fuel line at the filter so I can test to see if the pump is putting out fuel at that point since I forgot to do it when replacing the filter. Those "quick release" connectors on the fuel line are nothing of the sort. Thanks for the info. If it comes to replacing the pump I am definitely going in from the top thanks to the posts in this forum.

Anybody know the procedure for replacing the fuel pressure regulator? I cant find it in the engine compartment and I read somewhere that it is on the end of the fuel rail on the back of the engine. I can see the fuel rail go back and it would seem that you would have to remove the entire intake to access it. Is that right?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by fairlaner
I lifted the bed (by myself,using a come-a-long attached to my carport), as I didn't want to disconnect the fuel lines by feel, and my tank was 3/4 full. Because of the way the bed wraps around the cab, you can't just lift the bed straight up, but must slide it back and up (I didn't take off the bumper, so I had to lift the back of the bed high enough to clear it ... next time I'll remove the bumper). If you do remove the bed, pad the front of the bed, where it wraps around the cab to prevent scratching the cab. Good luck to you, which ever route you chose.

Bed lifted and slid back, sitting on wood blocks on the frame ...

What did you use the come-a-long for? the sliding or the lifting?

I am thinking I can remove the bumper, the bed bolts, and then just slide the bed back to access the pump. Will this not work? What did you need to lift for other than to clear the bumper? What did you do to get the bed back without damaging the fuel filler neck?

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
As I remember, the filler neck just unbolted at the bed and could be flexed out of the way.

Your question about lifting the bed made me get a flashlight and go take a look at my truck. I may have been suffering a bad case of tunnel vision when I lifted the bed (this often happens to me as I do all my repairs alone thus never getting a second opinion). At a glance, it sure looks likes, with the bumper gone, the bed could be slid back w/o lifting. I used a come-a-long to lift the bed to clear the bumper ... in hindsight, maybe not a very smart plan of attack.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks. Replaced the pump today and the truck runs like new. You were right to lift the bed. With the bumper off, you can slide it back until the cab side of the bed hits the tires but then it has to come up to clear them.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM
hey vbsaltydog. I have a 97 4.2 and i'm having a hard first start of the day with my truck. I was wondering if your truck had the same syptoms? thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by blueoval5.4
hey vbsaltydog. I have a 97 4.2 and i'm having a hard first start of the day with my truck. I was wondering if your truck had the same syptoms? thanks
The answer would be no. My truck ran great and all of the sudden would not start. It was not a gradual decline.

My questions to you would be:

First start or cold start? Is it only in colder temperatures?
Hard to start or hard to crank?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
It happens first start of the day regardless of temp. The truck will stumble for a couple of seconds then take off running smooth. i have changed fuel filter and plugs recently but they did not help...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Have you tried justanswer dot com ? They have a ford tech that will answer your question for around $10.00

Check it out.

Last edited by vbsaltydog; 09-25-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by blueoval5.4
It happens first start of the day regardless of temp. The truck will stumble for a couple of seconds then take off running smooth. i have changed fuel filter and plugs recently but they did not help...
Make sure you're running a Motorcraft oil filter if you are not already. I think I remember someone on here saying they have a special anti drainback valve that some other oil filters don't have for cold startups. I know after oil changes my truck starts a little rough because there's no oil in the filter the first couple seconds.

Last edited by aaron.b; 09-25-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Good antidrainback valves are not a Motorcraft exclusive - but there are filters with bad valves, standard (orange can) Fram being the prime example. Fram also relabels those junk filters for other vendors such as Pennzoil. Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Blue I also have a similiar problem. Sometimes (and it's not always just the first start) my truck won't start. After a couple of tries and sometimes even giving the truck gas it will start. I can also go days with it starting just fine and then all of the sudden it will happen again. I was thinking a bad fuel pump, but never would of thought of the oil filter. I use Wix filters, anyone know if that might be the problem? Thanks and didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Quick Reply: drop fuel tank or remove bed?