power window problem - fuse blowing

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window problem - fuse blowing

I have a 2002 F150 Super Crew. Several months ago the 15A fuse that controls the power windows and dome light blew. I replaced it and everything worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then it blew in a day and now within a couple of hours. I hear a click when I install a new fuse and heard it again when it blew while lowering the windows. I've had it in the shop once and they supposedly checked out the wiring and couldn't find anything. I hate to take it to the dealer but may have to. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it always happen with the same window, or any window ?

If it is a single window, which one is it ?

What is the trim level on your truck ?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Does it always happen with the same window, or any window ?

If it is a single window, which one is it ?

What is the trim level on your truck ?
To be honest I've only tried it with the driver's window. It doesn't just blow when I'm operating the window. I can replace the fuse and when I open the door the next morning the dome lights are out and fuse blown. I can put another fuse in and see if it happens with the other windows.

It's an XLT 4X4

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Have you had a lot of rain as of late ?

If you want to try a test, pull the door panel, and unplug the motor at the pigtail in the door ( not the switch ).

Directions to get the door panel off, if you are not familiar with it

http://www.muthco.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000013.pdf

This is the pigtail you are looking for

Last edited by SSCULLY; 07-29-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
sscully,

I'm interested in your statement reagrding the power window if there has been a lot of rain lately.

On my 1999 F150 both power windows stopped working yesterday and the driver's side was 3/4 of the way up. The maxi 30A fuse was blown in the power distribution box; I replaced it and then started the truck and managed to get the window closed all the way but then the fuse blew again.

We have had a lot of rain recently; are you suggesting that the large volume of rain has damaged the motor and that perhaps I should replace the motor and perhaps the switch?

Thanks for your suggestions,

rob

Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM

That was for different symptoms than yours.

For your case with the fuse blowing, is it with a specific window, or either of them ?

When you are having the fuse blow problem, is it with the door open or closed, or does not matter ?

Which 30A Maxi fuse is blowing, need to look up what else it covers ( in addition to the questions above ) before I take a SWAG at what is wrong.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM
sscully,

Both windows stopped working at the same time; I checked the fuse in the dashboard, which was fine (15 amp); then checked the fuse in the power distribution box which was blown. That was the 30 amp maxi fuse which is in fuse location number 110 in the power dist box.

I replaced it, the window worked long enough for me to get the window closed; and then the fuse blew; and now they both don't work.

The fuse blow while the doors were closed; the first time I was driving, the second time after I replaced the fuse I was parked with the motor running and the door closed.

rob

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM

Which window were you closing when the fuse blows.

Makes sense that with the fuse blown, neither window works.

Trying to get to if the window motor on one side or the other is causing it.

Next is to replace the fuse, and try it with the door open.
- This is testing if there is a broken wire getting grounded in the harness between the door and the A- pillar.
- I would suspect this, if the passenger side window causes the problem.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah so....my truck just started doin this too and it sucks. I replaced the 30A fuse in the fuse box under the hood drove around with the windows down and when i got to my brothers house the windows wouldnt go back up because the fuse was blown once again. I replaced my door speakers the other day; however, i dont believe any wires are grounding out or anything.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sstryker
....<snip>... I replaced my door speakers the other day; however, I don't believe any wires are grounding out or anything.
What makes you say this, a guess ??

You have either a load over 30A ( bad power window motor ) or a short to ground. Those are the 2 things that cause the fuse to blow.

Considering you just starting having this problem after a speaker change ( and the power window motor harness is right there ) I would suggest taking the speakers back out, and running the entire harness with your hands, feeling for a crimp or other defect in the insulation.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
alright i will get right on that as soon as the temperature here is below 90 degrees which will be around 11 tonight haha. i will update u guys when i check it.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Dome lights and window fuse blows

This is also happening to me so here is where i am at with this.. Open fuse panel under dash, remove relay #1 and windows will now work but dome lights will not...if you re-install the relay you will have nothing and the fuse will blow. I have traced all lights without finding any problems, but the dome lights will come on if you turn them on manually with the swithch located at each light but wont come on automatically when you open the door. I have 2002 supercrew lariat 4x4. I just installed new battery last week, now this happened.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by J53718
This is also happening to me so here is where i am at with this.. Open fuse panel under dash, remove relay #1 and windows will now work but dome lights will not...if you re-install the relay you will have nothing and the fuse will blow. I have traced all lights without finding any problems, but the dome lights will come on if you turn them on manually with the swithch located at each light but wont come on automatically when you open the door. I have 2002 supercrew lariat 4x4. I just installed new battery last week, now this happened.
Not sure what you are getting at here.
The interior lamps don't work due to a blown fuse, or they just don't work ?

Turning on the lamp at the fixture, is a different circuit, and bulb.

When you open the door, do you get the door ajar indication on the cluster ?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
well i taped up a couple of spots on the door wiring harness that were worn a lil.....and so far i haven't blown the fuse. we will see how it goes......

Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM
This has been happening to our truck too, since early June. We've just taken to carrying a box of fuses in the console.

He'll try these steps to see if ONE side or the other window motor is causing the windows & dome light fuse under the dash to quit working. He'll also check to see if the wires running along the upright are worn.

sometimes, they'll work for a few days after the fuse replacement, other times, the fuse will blow the second you put it in the fuse panel.

It did NOT start occuring due to rain. We remember the first time it blew, and it was very warm that day, and no rain.

He hardly drives it anymore, but when he does, you can bet money, the fuse will blow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power window problem - fuse blowing