Driver side window....it popped then fell??

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side window....it popped then fell??

Driving along one day, i heard a slight pop (like a rock hit my window or somethin), didnt think much of it. Next day, heard it again. That same night, i heard it again; only this time it popped then about a second later i heard a bang (like someone threw a baseball at my door) and when i looked over i saw my window falling into my door. took it apart to attempt to fix it only to find a cluster of wires that looked similar to a birds nest. attempted to untangle these for hours but nothing came of it. can anyone help me or maybe give me a tip other than "take it to a dealer" (they told me around $500 for parts and labor to fix).

Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
rut ruh! $500!!!!

It sounds like your motor may of went bad? Have you check it? Take it out and plug it into a 12v source and see if it works.. Did anything look broke? Like rods or anything?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
If it fell down inside of the door by itself without pressing any power window switches it needs a new window regulator. Fairly common repair on these trucks. I'm pretty sure the regulator is seperate from the motor (can be replaced by itself). Still somewhat of a bigger job - have to rivot the regulator back on to the glass. Takes some tools and some knowledge but it can be done. If you have more than 1 dealer in your area call them all and see which one will work with you the best if that becomes your last option.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very common actually. My truck and my bosses F150 (04 and his is 05) the window regulators on the passanger side went. Should be cheaper then 500 bucks though. Much cheaper!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
yeah thats what ive been hearing, its the regulator. The motor is fine and operates its just when i hit the window button it gives of a crunching noise (all the wires tangled up and grinding around). I took a look at it and saw all the rivets so i paused and called a dealer and thats what he told me. This was replacing the motor and tracks as well i think. I just asked him what would worse case scenario be and how much. But does the new regulator come with new cables? also, i tracked one of the wires down and it broke off one of the tracks that the window sits in, can this be put back? thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Honestly it was a while ago when I did mine, however I believe it came a window motor/regulator assembly. No reason to get a track or anything. I believe its all 10MM bolts to remove the motor and regulator assembly. As far as rivets on the glass I dont honestly remember. Its very very easy to do and doesnt take to long. However the little yellow bastards that the speaker screws into make it a pain in the *** to get the door panel off. The door panel slides up and they prevent that. I broke 2 on the bottom I think because they were brittle and wouldnt pop out. They were only like 30cents from ford or something stupid cheap.

Oh and most things I get from Napa, however Window Motors and Regulators I always get from the dealers. Never have problems like I do with napa ones (or any car care place for that matter).

Window motor regulator should be in the ball park of 130bucks or so.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 08-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N

Window motor regulator should be in the ball park of 130bucks or so.
does the regulator include all the cables as well? i think one of mine may be toast because they are pretty frayed now and one of them popped off of the track that the window is connected to. also, do i have to take the window and tracks out of the door to unscrew the motor and regulator?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Yea it includes all the cables and all that. If you have to use rivits it wont include them though.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
no rivets, just bolts. the window has to be up to get to most of the bolts. the easiest way is to push it up with your hand and then either tape it to hold it in place or wedge some cardboard or something between the glass and the weatherstripping inside and out.

Last edited by bigchief2472000; 08-07-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 AM
my 2005 did the same I took it to a body shop installed a new one for $240 but when mine went down it scratched my tint.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
It is best to just get the whole regulator assy which includes the track motor and cable already together. It is worth the extra money just to unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in. It is not a bad job to do yourself, unfortunately I already change 3 out of the 4 windows on my supercrew

i find that freezer tape works best to hold the glass up while you change the regulator. just tape the glass to the door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver side window....it popped then fell??