Need help on exhaust and install recommendations for 2001 F150 Scab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on exhaust and install recommendations for 2001 F150 Scab 4x4

First post here. Nice board. Coulda used a place like this when I had trouble with my 97 Expedition a few years ago.

Anyway, I've searched the boards (so hopefully all my questions are a little educated) on exhausts but cannot come up with details on the install of the exhaust (although I swear I remember a link here to a Gibson installation). I had a FM 3"/3" catback exhaust on the Expy and I liked it. A little loud, but it looked like it belonged on the truck as opposed to what Ford had installed. I particularly liked the install on the FM. Other than having to "slit" the pipe where the factory had clamped together and the clamp had deformed the original connection, it was purely hand tools and in and out in a matter of an hour. (The Borla on my old Probe took about 10 minutes from jack-up to jack-down thanks to bolted connections instead of clamped.)

Does the Borla compare with the install I faced with the FM for my old expedition (retaining hangar locations, no welding required unless I want the joints secured, no cutting required of the existing exhaust)? I'm looking for a relatively easy installation with the low mellow sound it appears a Gibson SS will give. More power to you if you like rear exit exhausts, but I like the stock look of the side swepts, and a little curious as to why FM doesn't offer a catback side swept .

Anyway, if anyone has details on the Gibson SS installation, additional coupons for carparts.com (I have a 10% off coupon), or a coupon for truckperfromance.com, and a part number I can use for carparts.com (the Gibson exhaust web-site is down and carparts.com seem to list the 98/99 a little goofy - see below - is this the correct one?)

swept-side exhaust system, aluminized
p/n# 19713 $253.98
98-99 Ford F-Series Pickup, Super Cab Shortbed 4 / V6
98-99 Ford F-Series Pickup, Super Cab Shortbed 4/V6

Old 09-07-2001, 01:39 PM
No help? Not asking which one is the best, just how the install went for the Gibson SS.

Old 09-07-2001, 04:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Install................

I've got the Gibson SS and I started to do the install myself, but I just didn't have the proper cutting tools to get the old system off.

My pipes had crimps in them from the clamps. All I really needed was a Sawzall, but didn't feel like renting one. I'd already spent 45 minutes on my back, getting crap in my face and just was not having fun. Usually, I really get into a project like this, but not this time.

I just packed it all up and headed to a local muffler shop. Got it installed in 30 minutes and for only $20 bucks (it was very slow and the guy didn't want to write up a bill, so I'm sure he just pocketed it).

One thing that would have stopped me cold in my driveway would have been the connection of the stock 2.5 inch head pipe to the new 2.5" into 3" adapter that connects to the muffler. The 2.5" end was too big to fit on the stock head pipe snuggly. Not sure where the screw up was there, but the guy welded all the joints for me anyway.

Old 09-13-2001, 02:52 PM
I have a 2001 F150 4.6L. I have tried everything to get my truck to perform with an exhaust. I tried flowmaster, glasspacks and a spintech. All of them made my truck loose all of its bottom end torque. I tow a boat so I can't have this. I called gibson and they said it is because the new ford motors need backpressure for low end torque. So I took their word for it and bought the single 3" swept side, because they said it had the correct amount of back pressure. They were right! I took my truck to my buddys shop that had a dyno and it made 12 horsepower and 19 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels. I was amazed. The weird part is that it is not loud and annoynig like the other ones. Does anyone know of any 2wd lift kits?

Old 09-13-2001, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up DRIVER1

That's really interesting on how you were able to really tell the difference between all the other brands compared to the Gibson SS. And have actual dyno figures to boot! I went directly from stock to the SS, so all I have to compare to was stock, which for the most part I'm pretty sure it improved.

I too like the quieter side of the SS. It's 100% better then stock ever was. Stock sounded like a vaccum cleaner when you got on it and nothing at idle. The SS was pretty quiet initially, but as it's gotten used, it has a much more pleasant tone to it, without being obnoxious.

Oh yeah, check out the Suspension forum for the lift question.

Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
driver1,
where did you get your gibson SS exhaust? i checked summitracing.com and dont see one listed for my 2000 5.4 supercab...also, how much did it set you back? i think that is the one that i am going to run, i just need the cash...any donations will be excepted

Old 09-19-2001, 10:38 AM
I put the Gibson dual swept side on my 98, the install was very simple and took about an hour. I shopped around and found the lowest price I could and then called Performance Products, they offer a low price gaurantee. I paid $305 delivered for the Gibson dual swept side.

Old 09-19-2001, 02:02 PM
Hey Scott,
I bought my system from Truck Performance Center, they were a really easy company to deal with. I can't remember what I paid but the part number you need is the same as mine. It is 319608.
good luck.

Old 09-20-2001, 09:26 AM
I ordered my Gibson SS from JC Whitney for $289, but they have free shipping on orders over $200

Also, truckperfrmance.com has a 10% off special on all orders...something about a fall clearance....saved me $20 on my Westin nerf boards.....

Old 09-24-2001, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys...

Ordered my new Gibson side-swept SI/SO this morning. Thumbs up for the 10% off from truckperformance (and not having to deal with carparts.com or JCWhitney)

Brand: GIBSON
Description: Single 3inch Aluminized Steel Cat Back Exhaust System
Year: 2001
Make: FORD
Model: F-150
Engine: 5.4L
Cab: Extended Cab
Quantity: 1
Price: 289.00
Subtotal: 289.00

Total: 289

10% off! You Saved: 28.90
New Total: 260.1

Tax: 0.00
Shipping: 26.38
Grand Total: 286.48

Shipping Option: Ground Service

Quick Reply: Need help on exhaust and install recommendations for 2001 F150 Scab 4x4