2004 - 2008 F-150

Airbag Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Airbag Light Flashing

Checking on this for a client of mine. I know I've seen a thread or three float through here regarding the airbag light flashing on the dash but, I can't seem to match the characteristics of what he's seeing... any help is appreciated...

His is doing a 2-4 flash. 2 flashes. Pause. 4 flashes. Longer Pause. 2 flashes. Pause. 4 flashes. Longer Pause. Repeat a few times then goes to solid.

I know that the sensors have been notorious on our trucks but, I can find a 4-2 flash but, not a 2-4 flash.

Truck is a 2004 Lariat with about 32k on the ticker.

Any help is appreciated!!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did something like that, not sure on the sequence but it was because the plug behind the radio surround was unplugged. Have they changed the stereo or had that unplugged recently? Just an idea

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC all Ford airbag codes are the same regardless of model. I've found a few lists through a Google search, but none are from 100% legit sources.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...ht_error_codes

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic161664.htm

Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Jpaye
Mine did something like that, not sure on the sequence but it was because the plug behind the radio surround was unplugged. Have they changed the stereo or had that unplugged recently? Just an idea
He has an aftermarket XM setup that works via FM modulator. Other than that... it's VERY stock.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
IIRC all Ford airbag codes are the same regardless of model. I've found a few lists through a Google search, but none are from 100% legit sources.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...ht_error_codes

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic161664.htm
Thanks, man. Wiki looks helpful here...

Anyone had this code? My bet is that it's a sensor with a problem but, is there any way to know which sensor?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM
look at the sensor on the front rad support. unplug the connector , look for green corrosion. it gets hit with all sorts of road debris. I have replaced a few at our shop.
get it scanned to make sure.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Rockpick - check out this posting... its going to be the front impact sensor.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...then-back.html

Scroll down and you'll see my post. I replaced mine last year, it turned out that one of the pins had corroded off the sensor. I greased them on re-assembly to hopefully avoid corrosion in the future.

EDIT: OOPS... just realized you said 2-4 and not 4-2 on the flashes... so this probably isn't much help.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Moderator &

Thanks, guys! I'll have him pull the connector on the front radiator mount to check for corrosion. Based upon what I've read, it sounds like this isn't an uncommon problem. But, those who seem to have noted that this sensor was either bad, had a broken pin, or was corroded seem to report the 4-2 flash; not the 2-4.

Any Ford Techs know how to decipher this 'mystery code' for the 2004 F-150?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
according to wikipedia "24=Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit Open"

My take on the interpretation, and my interpretation of the interpretation:

Safing sensor is the interior sensor that monitors the vehicles deceleration. It should be mounted under the passenger center seat or under the drivers seat depending on cab and seat configuration.

But the code suggests open wire which could be anywhere on the harness between the safing sensor and the airbag module. I will see if i can track down some diagrams and trouble shooting stuff tomorrow on my Ford Service Discs

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Moderator &

Thanks, Pat.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Moderator &

BUmP

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

RP im looking on all-data, im not seeing any 2-4 codes.

here's what AD says about the flashes
"LAMP FAULT CODES

When the restraints control module (RCM) detects a system fault, it will cause the air bag indicator to flash a coded sequence: a lamp fault code (LFC). The code is 2 digits. The first digit is flashed with a 0.5-second interval between pulses. There is a 2-second pause before the second digit is flashed, which also has a 0.5-second interval between pulses. There is a 5-second pause between each display of an LFC.

Each LFC is flashed 5 times after which the air bag indicator will remain lit for the remainder of the key-on cycle. If there are multiple LFCs, each LFC will flash in order of priority."

I can double check with my Ford Service DVD and see if there's anything else that might be of use

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Moderator &

Thanks, Pat. Sorry for the lag in my response.

I'm betting that he may be incorrectly interpretting the light. In short, I bet it's the 4-2. That potentially being the case, I'm going to ask him to discon the front sensor and check to see if anything is heavily corroded. Maybe he needs to replace the plug and/or sensor.

If the pins aren't damaged, I'll ask him to add some di-electric to the pins and replug.

Thanks again!!

-RP-

Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The airbag light in my '00 is flashing 2-7.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Global Moderator &

RP i can send you the PDF of all the rest of the pinpoint tests, but here is the general stuff for the 4-2 code (assuming thats what he really has)

Also im now looking at the Ford factory service manual for 2006 and there is no 2-4 code.

Pinpoint Test L: LFC 42/DTC B2296 — Restraint System — Impact Sensor Fault

Normal Operation
The front impact severity sensor provides data to the restraints control module (RCM) for use in calculating impact severity. This is accomplished using various electrical and electromechanical sensor(s) throughout the vehicle. Refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in this section.

The RCM checks all of the impact sensor circuits for faults. If the RCM detects one of the following faults on any of the impact sensor circuits, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2296 in memory and flash lamp fault code (LFC) 42 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Fault Conditions
The RCM monitors for the following fault conditions:

Low resistance
High resistance or circuit open
Circuit short to voltage
Circuit short to ground
Possible Causes
A impact sensor fault can be caused by:

damaged wiring, terminals or connectors.
a faulty impact sensor.
incorrect sensor mounting.
a faulted RCM.

PINPOINT TEST L: LFC 42/DTC B2296 — RESTRAINT SYSTEM IMPACT SENSOR FAULT
NOTE: Most faults are due to connector and/or wiring concerns. Carry out a thorough Inspection and Verification before proceeding with the pinpoint test.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light Flashing