05 only blowing through main vent no defroster

Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 only blowing through main vent no defroster

I did a search and could only find problems with the older models so thought I could get something more model year specific. I am only getting air out of the main vents, nothing from the defrosters. Very little if any. It used to make a big woosh sound when switching from vent to defrost but I cant get it to change. From what I've read I may have a bad vacumn line, but where should I start looking. Could it be something else. Thanks for any help!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Mine did the same thing. They had to replace the blend door motor.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowe
I did a search and could only find problems with the older models so thought I could get something more model year specific. I am only getting air out of the main vents, nothing from the defrosters. Very little if any. It used to make a big woosh sound when switching from vent to defrost but I cant get it to change. From what I've read I may have a bad vacumn line, but where should I start looking. Could it be something else. Thanks for any help!
search for posts under my username. I've had issues with this about a month or so ago, lots of information to fix your problem. Basically 04 and newer trucks use an electric actuator to divert airflow, NOT vacuum.

Most likely your mode door actuator has failed or is jammed.

The blend door is NOT the same as the mode door. The blend door blends cold and hot air together to the desired temp, so if your temperature control works your blend door actuator is working properly.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hawkz28
search for posts under my username. I've had issues with this about a month or so ago, lots of information to fix your problem. Basically 04 and newer trucks use an electric actuator to divert airflow, NOT vacuum.

Most likely your mode door actuator has failed or is jammed.

The blend door is NOT the same as the mode door. The blend door blends cold and hot air together to the desired temp, so if your temperature control works your blend door actuator is working properly.
So it sounds like they replaced the mode door on mine then. They told me it was the blend door. I only had air coming out of the vents, no defrost or floor. Interesting.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
So it sounds like they replaced the mode door on mine then. They told me it was the blend door. I only had air coming out of the vents, no defrost or floor. Interesting.
Yeah they replaced the mode door, they are confusing the terms. Look at the HVAC system diagram you'll see the THREE actuators that exist in the system.

1) Mode door
2) Blend Door
3) Recirc Door (I don't remember the technical name).

Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hawkz28
Yeah they replaced the mode door, they are confusing the terms. Look at the HVAC system diagram you'll see the THREE actuators that exist in the system.

1) Mode door
2) Blend Door
3) Recirc Door (I don't remember the technical name).
Makes sense. Blend door - key word blend. Mode door - key word mode. It's elementry my dear Watson

Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
what did they hit you for when replacing the mode door? I see you can do it but dont really feel like playing in the truck for the next two days. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I have the extended warranty coverage so only my deductible, 100.00.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought the truck used and it was Ford Certified. They said it had a 5 yr. 100,000 mile warranty that comes with all their certified vehicles. Would something like this be covered under that warranty? My luck probably not!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I bought the truck used and it was Ford Certified. They said it had a 5 yr. 100,000 mile warranty that comes with all their certified vehicles. Would something like this be covered under that warranty? My luck probably not!
5yr warranty is powertrain only, meaning engine and trans. Mode door not covered.

It would be covered if your still under the 3yr 30k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I would do it yourself, I mean the part if I remember cost $30, and it should take you an hour to change out tops. (I could do it now in 15 min). You still have to "troubleshoot" the problem first because I can't tell you if it's the mode door actuator for sure. You would have to go and take out the old one, and move the levers around that it moves to see if they are free and not jammed up. If it's not jammed up it's most likely your actuator or HVAC control assembly, but most likely actuator. If your levers are jammed up then you have a bigger problem, which requires taking out the dashboard to the firewall(not fun).

Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
venting

I have the same problem on my 2002 crew, but the air is only blowing out the defrost at the windshield. it does seem to blow cold air, but will not change on any dial setting except off. then it goes off. at least that works. Is this the same remedy IYO
Thanks
Bushie

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
o.k an hour isnt bad I thought I would have to take the entire dash out. Where is the mode door located, and how about the levers. I poked my head around under there a little but I just had back surgery so I cant get a real good look in.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 AM
My dealer told me they had to pull the whole dash out.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bushie
I have the same problem on my 2002 crew, but the air is only blowing out the defrost at the windshield. it does seem to blow cold air, but will not change on any dial setting except off. then it goes off. at least that works. Is this the same remedy IYO
Thanks
Bushie
I'm pretty sure yours is vacuum operated, doesn't use electrical actuators. Your system is different.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
o.k an hour isnt bad I thought I would have to take the entire dash out. Where is the mode door located, and how about the levers. I poked my head around under there a little but I just had back surgery so I cant get a real good look in.
do a search for "mode door". There should be a few threads and a picture of it somewhere, I found it before on this board.

The mode door actuator is located under the driver side dash(it moves 2 levers under the actuator you can't see, and one it moves by a metal rod that you can see). You have to lie on your back with your head by the pedals looking up. There is a black plastic actuator with a medal rod hooked to it. THis is the mode door actuator. It is removed by 3-4 screws and comes out. It's easy to remove, just awkward position to get to. It is located towards the center of the truck, it's easiest to find by finding the metal rod because it's one of the only shiny metal things under the dash, everything else is plastic.

I did have to remove the whole dash because when I took of the mode door actuator, I found out that one of the levers it moves was jammed. I had to remove the dash to get to the air ducts to remove a piece of foam lodged in the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 only blowing through main vent no defroster