Autolite spark plugs vs. Champion one piece

Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autolite spark plugs vs. Champion one piece

Baught some Autolite spark plugs for my 3v around about 75K and due to some trouble getting a socket around the plugs, i gave up pretty quick and put it off. Now at 92K im realizing i need it done, trouble is im hearing that champion has a better plug that is a one piece and will get rid of the snapping issue, is this true? Should i chunk the autolite's and get some champions or do you think im in the clear either way?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004Lariat5.4
Baught some Autolite spark plugs for my 3v around about 75K and due to some trouble getting a socket around the plugs, i gave up pretty quick and put it off. Now at 92K im realizing i need it done, trouble is im hearing that champion has a better plug that is a one piece and will get rid of the snapping issue, is this true? Should i chunk the autolite's and get some champions or do you think im in the clear either way?
What size socket were you using ?

These also have a tapered edge -

Anyway, I wouldn't trust a two piece plug, -Personally. I would go with the Champions for a 3 valve.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-09-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
What size socket were you using ?

These also have a tapered edge -

Anyway, I wouldn't trust a two piece plug, -Personally. I would go with the Champions for a 3 valve.
Brew- I can't believe you said that! You been drinkin again?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by code58
Brew- I can't believe you said that! You been drinkin again?
Nope lol, Ford won't spec a one piece plug and I haven't heard one bad thing about Champions in the 3 valve.

Federal Mogul stepped up and came up with a solution. At Least someone out there is trying to help.

Ford basically screwed everyone over without remorse - not even a damn fix. This purdy much puts the screws to those 3 valve owners before 08.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So if you are going to change plugs in the 04-07 skip the MC's and go with champion one piece?
There won't be any problems with misfires?
What would the life of these be?
You caught me off guard a little bit jbrew!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't put a champion plug in my lawnmower period. I'd stick with the 2 piece stock plug myself.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
I wouldn't put a champion plug in my lawnmower period. I'd stick with the 2 piece stock plug myself.
Yep, that's what I did. Going for a 100,000 on the second set of Motorcrafts. I would not use the Autolites either. Made by the same company but to different specs.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jethat
If you paid $2500 for a Ford plug change, - would you be good with that? Well that's the bill some people were/are getting stuck with.

What if your trucks sitting in the service bay with 8 broken plugs ? You get a call from the service manager informing you it's going to cost you that much to get her back. What if you don't have it? Guess yuh better sell that lawnmower, among other things. Ford isn't paying for their mistake, you are. You like being crapped on ?

No thanks, I WOULD run the Champions if there isn't a problem doing so and save myself that big headache next time around.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm really torn on this one. I know my dealer can do them without breaking any, so it gives me hope on either using stock plugs or doing a plug change with the champions myself and never having to worry about it again.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Stealth
I'm really torn on this one. I know my dealer can do them without breaking any, so it gives me hope on either using stock plugs or doing a plug change with the champions myself and never having to worry about it again.
If I had Champions in mine, every time I cranked up, I would think it was missing and running like slug.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If I had Champions in mine, every time I cranked up, I would think it was missing and running like slug.
The only thing I don't like about the MC plugs is they can't be gapped. It is what it is, and we all know the gap changes over time.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Stealth
The only thing I don't like about the MC plugs is they can't be gapped. It is what it is, and we all know the gap changes over time.
Mine were changed at 65,500 and they were running just as good as after the new ones were installed. No difference in mpg either. The tips still looked perfect, so they do not wear a lot. Not like old plugs at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Supposedly, the new spec Motorcrafts are a lot less likely to stick - they have changed the heat range to minimise carbon deposits. I feel that if you use the new Motorcrafts, and install them exactly as specified - with nickel antiseize on the ground sleeve - you should be okay, and you need to use top tier gas too. Honestly, I have heard of a few people not getting good results with the Champions.

If you have to use crap gas, or don't get it on the highway frequently to blow it out, I'd probably use the Champions and change them frequently. This can get expensive - they are 15 bucks apiece.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Yea , it slipped my mind, but Brisk has a one piece design as well.

Here's a good thread from this site, but mann, a few of these guys got the gap all wrong at first lol. It's a good read. -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...valves-14.html

Lenore is running the Champions. He has a thread goin on another site -

Idunno, since Brisk is in the mix,- that might be the way to go. Well, at-least there's a choice anyway.

Last edited by Bluejay; 07-09-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Remove link to site
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 88racing
So if you are going to change plugs in the 04-07 skip the MC's and go with champion one piece?
There won't be any problems with misfires?
What would the life of these be?
You caught me off guard a little bit jbrew!
- Yea, there's a BIG difference between the 2 and 3 valve when your talking plugs.

Most, if not all Champion Plugs from the past were junk. I would like to see them get it right, -specially here. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-09-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autolite spark plugs vs. Champion one piece