Going through the car wash?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going through the car wash?

Anyone know of or use a product that can be sprayed on to help loosen dirt/dust on paint so truck comes out of carwash cleaner? I am not talking mud but just dust and dirt that settles on paint from regular driving.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 AM
my advice to you is not use a drive throuhg car wash, a do it yourself car wash pressure washer should be enough to get most crap off the paint

Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
my advice to you is not use a drive throuhg car wash, a do it yourself car wash pressure washer should be enough to get most crap off the paint
x2... I only use the drivethrough when I am forced to or utterly don't feel like doing it by hand... which is only about 2-3 times a year. I usually wash and quick detail my truck 3-4 times a month and spend about 2 hours each time from start to finish.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:09 AM
x3 i would never use a drive thru car wash too much crap on the brushes get a pressure washer they work great it will save you a lot of grief

Old 07-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 09Darkblue
Anyone know of or use a product that can be sprayed on to help loosen dirt/dust on paint so truck comes out of carwash cleaner? I am not talking mud but just dust and dirt that settles on paint from regular driving.
Depends on if you're talking about an automatic or self-serve. Either way avoid the brushes. If I have no other option (ie-short on time) I'll go to the self-serve to hand wash it. In the case you're talking about the self-serve, here's what I do:

I'll put in the minimum amount required to start and leave it on pre-soak. I'll go around the entire truck with the pre-soak. Once I've covered the whole thing I'll switch to rinse and fill up my bucket (have it ready with wash mitts and a serving of wash soap). If there's any time left I put it on pre-soak again and go around the truck one more time.

Then I'll go around and hand wash it like I would at home. After I've done the whole thing I'll put in more quarters and rinse it all off. Gets it much cleaner than the automatic and the only thing you have to prep is the bucket and mitts.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by jetech00001
x3 i would never use a drive thru car wash too much crap on the brushes get a pressure washer they work great it will save you a lot of grief
I only use the touchless car wash and there isn't one brush that ever touches the truck only high pressure water. I usally do wash by hand but sometimes it is nice to use touchless and not mess with dragging everything out at home.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:16 PM
esf
Just know that the soaps/chemicals in the touchless washes can be harsh and strip any wax you have off the truck. Something to keep in mind.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks like i will go back to doing it in my driveway like in the past. Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
car washes

Just let me echo some of the earlier responses. Never use a car wash if you want your truck to stay looking nice. Secondly, never use a car wash. And lastly, never use them.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Get a foam gun and a 5 gal bucket with a grit guard. Spray your truck down with foam (car wash) and let sit for a few minutes. Come back add a little more foam and wash the truck down in small sections with a wash mitt. After a small section clean the wash mitt off in the 5 gallon bucket of plain water with the grit guard. Scrub your wash mitt on the grit guard to remove the dirt.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by 09Darkblue
I usally do wash by hand but sometimes it is nice to use touchless and not mess with dragging everything out at home.
You need to step up to Optimum No Rinse Wash and quit dragging out anything but a bucket, mitt and microfiber drying towels.

Except the wheels, I havent used a water hose or rinsed my truck in 5 months.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
You need to step up to Optimum No Rinse Wash and quit dragging out anything but a bucket, mitt and microfiber drying towels.

Except the wheels, I havent used a water hose or rinsed my truck in 5 months.
When using that "Optimum No Rinse Wash" how dirty can the truck be to use that stuff... i assume no caked on stuff... but like heavy dust from driving dirt roads or gravel roads.. I've been lookin to get that

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
You can get a bottle with a mix of auto wash and water and give you truck a little spray down before you roll in. I do it for bugs and it helps a lot. If going through the touchless wash is your only option that is better then nothing. Doing a hand wash is the best thing you can do but I can understand if time is an issue.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shanks12
When using that "Optimum No Rinse Wash" how dirty can the truck be to use that stuff... i assume no caked on stuff... but like heavy dust from driving dirt roads or gravel roads.. I've been lookin to get that
It can be very dirty but if dirt or mud is caked on you need to rinse it first. Heavy dust and dirt are no problem...you just have to have a couple of wash mitts on hand and possibly change the wash solution midway thru the wash job. Do a pre-rinse if it very gritty or sandy but you wipe the solution on with a mitt and wipe it off with a microfiber.
I use one mitt on the upper parts of my truck and another mitt on the lower ⅓ and when I use ONR on my wheels I use a dedicated mitt just for the wheels.
It takes me 20 minutes to do my black truck so it's easy to clean it more often with no water hose and I drive on Firebreaks almost daily.

Just remember the dirtier the vehicle is the more you may need to change (or wash out) mitts or solution.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:11 PM
It depends on car wash too. I usually run mine through 2 times a week with brushes. The dirt will not stick on the brushes cause they are noepreme with water on them. Also ask the wash about the chemicals being used, all mine do not strip wax or anything. Car washes are safer then 5 or so years ago. Plus I am getting lazy too, but truck is always clean. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going through the car wash?