SuperCrew

Why select LT265/70R17 vs P265/70R17?

Old 09-04-2001, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why select LT265/70R17 vs P265/70R17?

I have always thought that the LT (Light Truck) designated tires that you have to pay extra for from Ford were more robust and heavy duty service tires than the P (Pasenger Car) designated ones that come standard on F-150s.

Also, Ford states that " Optional LT265/70R17 OWL all-terrain tires (T5E) are recommended for demanding off-road usage". To me, this statement says it all, if you want better tires than standard then get these.

However, I have been researching this on GoodYear's web site and the LT tires have a load rating of C and a load carrying capacity of 2,470 Lbs each. The same size P tire has a load rating of C and a load carrying capacity of 2,535 Lbs each. Looks like the P rated tires can carry more load under the same conditions!

What's up with this data. Am I reading something wrong or have I been paying more money (usually $300 over standard) for LT tires thinking I was getting a better setup for heavier loads and trailering?

Comments that help claify the difference would be appreciated.

DaveMan

Old 09-05-2001, 09:56 AM
I have wondered that too... I could use that info since I am soon to look at buying new tires for teh screw...

Thanks for asking the question first Daveman...

Mosa

Old 09-05-2001, 11:08 PM
Because the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S is a much nicer overall tire than the RT/S (just search for everyone's comments on the RT/S and wandering) and it has a better off-road tread pattern.

I don't think I can load my truck down with more weight than my tires can handle anyway.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Get an LT tire. they are far better in all conditions on our trucks than P tires, no matter what brand
But...if you're on GoodYear's site looking for tires, you're wasting time anyway. LT or P...you're better off with another brand...ANY other brand, IMO.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:21 PM
I think the Goodyear wet traction really sucks. Had 'em on my 97. The Goodrich I have now are way better on wet roads... so much so, I forgot how much I had to compensate with the Goodyear to prevent spins and skids.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:33 PM
BeastRider..
I agree. I put the stock GY's back on for a couple of weeks between sets of BFG's, and it was downright dangerous after becoming accustomed to the traction of the BFG's. I just don't understand why Ford uses GY RT/S on their trucks. They are terrible.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:43 PM
Rebel,

The next Firestone waiting to happen?

Old 09-06-2001, 02:29 AM
Wickman,
I didn't mention anything about AT/S vs RT/S. I guess I'm was unclear on that point. However, I am comparing strait AT/S tires one-on-one with the P vs LT designation. Same tread pattern, same OD, same width, same profile, same everything except one is called LT and one is called P. The only difference noted from what I see is the LT cost more and the load rating is less than the P.

You never told the difference between LT and P which was my original question.

Doesn't make sense for me why that I should pay more for less until I find out what's the real difference in cost. I'm on my second F-150 ('99 XLT & '00 Lariat both 4x4) with LT Goodyears on it and I never had a single issue. Had a '89 Chevy 4x4 for 9 years with Wrangler TDs on it, twice, and never had a single issue, got great traction, wet or dry and got good mileage out of the tread. Don't know why you hate Goodyear. I always hated Firestone and never knew why, but it's starting to come to me. Love every Michelin I ever owned to add some more.

RebelYell,
You never told the difference between LT and P either which was my original question.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it, then give it your best shot because I can't see that much difference in the published specs.

Thefoyboy,
I was thinking the same thing, you just beat me to it.

DaveMan

Old 09-06-2001, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the difference in the two are the number of plys in the tire. The LT has 6 and the P has 4, thus the LT is a little more rugged.

Old 09-06-2001, 06:24 PM
Hello jryager,
If what you say is true then that is the most logical answer I have heard yet and I could almost buy it because it would make sense. The part that still doesn't make sense though is if the LT has more plys, like you state, then why is the load rating for the LT less than the P? Go figure!

DaveMan

Old 09-06-2001, 07:11 PM
Web Site may be wrong. "Usually" the LT's have a heavier load rating. Most LT tires also have 50% more tread. Typically .600 inch instead of .400 inch

Old 09-06-2001, 07:51 PM
Thanks RIck309,
Now someone is finally making some good comments.

I did verify today that the load rating on the LT is higher so you are right there too. The load rating for a P tire is "std" and for the LT tire is "C" which is higher. You may be correct in your statement that the load capacity (Lbs per wheel) they publish for the LTs must be wrong too otherwise the increased load rating from "std" to "C" wouldn't make sense.

The features you mentioned are the details that make one product different from another for sure. I guess Goodyear doesn't do a very good job at marketing their products since I could not even get close to your conclusion looking at all the specs available on the web.

So, paying more for a little higher load capacity and 50% more tread actually may make it worth the $300 ($60 per tire for 5 tires) that Ford charges to upgrade from P tires.

Thanks for the help,
DaveMan

Old 09-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Goodyear's RT/S Bite all right.... and I don't mean bite the road.
They should be called Goodyear Dion's ( I'm a Wanderer.....)

Nordicbastard

Old 09-07-2001, 04:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile DAVEMAN:

Sounds like you pretty much got your answer. I'll just add that I had a set of "P" rated tires (255/70/16) and they had a max load of 2,240 lbs at 40lbs max pressure. Wanted a taller tire, so I went with a LT265/75/16. Just as you said, it's rated for 2,470 lbs at 50lbs max pressure.

These aren't GY's, but were the same brand and style of tire. Also the # of plys were more for the LT's. Load range "D" and "E" are even higher.

Old 09-07-2001, 07:55 AM
P vs LT

The LT's have more plys in the sidewall usually. Which makes for a slightly stiffer ride, but a more durable tire. I had the GY AT/S in LT 265/70R17 on my '00 and I loved them. The P265/70R17 GY RT/S that are on my '01 are okay, but they seem to throw a lot of rocks on my truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why select LT265/70R17 vs P265/70R17?