Brake Warning Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Warning Light Problem

1999 F-150 XLT Extended Cab

The brake warning light on the dash lights momentarily when you turn the ignition to ON ... but it doesn't stay lit, or come on, when the parking brake is engaged.

I've looked under the dash at the parking brake mechanism (without pulling off any panels), and don't see a switch ... is that where I should be looking?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes it is on the parking brake itself.

The condition you describe is normal, check your owners manual on page 8 ( as far as when turning the ign to the ON position without starting ):

Brake system warning
Momentarily illuminates when the ignition is turned to the ON position, the engine is off and the parking brake is engaged. If the brake warning lamp does not illuminate at this time, seek service immediately. Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately.
I would say the braking brake switch is screwed.
Also, as a side note, was your truck on the list of the recall for the Cruise Control Secondary Safety switch recall, and did you have it done ?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I would say the braking brake switch is screwed.
If figured that was the case ... I just need to find where it's hiding! Do I have to pull of the side panel under the dash to get at it?

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Also, as a side note, was your truck on the list of the recall for the Cruise Control Secondary Safety switch recall, and did you have it done ?
Yes, and yes ...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake Warning Light Problem