bad oil pressure sensor or lost oil pump?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad oil pressure sensor or lost oil pump?

so, my 245K 5.4L 2001 engine is feeling its years.

last week, the oil light was slow to go off. but it did finally go off.

today, its slow to go off, then it comes on for a good pressure reading, then goes to dead, then hops back up! its weird.

my oil level is fine, but i don't know whether i have a flakey oil pressure sensor or a failing oil pump; any suggestions/wisdom? i sure dont want to roast the engine...

thx, jackc...

Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Just one, don't drive it , start or crank it until you find the problem.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:48 AM
My 2000 did the same thing and i replaced the sending unit and it fixed my problem.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
245k and it doesnt burn or leak any oil?? never rebuilt?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
A new sender is cheap, I'd try that first on general principle.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Sludge in your oil pan can also cause an engine to act this way. I bought a used 98, that acted the same way. After checking everything I could from outside the engine, I dropped the oil pan. Sure enough it had sludge in it, and would stop the strainer up on longer drives. I cleaned it up good, and have now put another 100,000 on it. I would start by checking the wiring and the sending unit. If the problem persists, I would then run a can of seafoam through the crankcase, and change the oil.
Is the oil really nasty when you change it? Does the oil run out slowly when you change it?
When I checked the truck over when I bought it. It apparently had just been changed because the dipstick came up clear. My Son put about 2000 miles on it before the problem showed itself. He went on the first out of town trip, {that I know of} when he called me because the engine shut down. The pressure Gage {until that day} was showing good throughout the ordeal. But in the end it came out OK.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tumba
Sludge in your oil pan can also cause an engine to act this way. I bought a used 98, that acted the same way. After checking everything I could from outside the engine, I dropped the oil pan. Sure enough it had sludge in it, and would stop the strainer up on longer drives. I cleaned it up good, and have now put another 100,000 on it. I would start by checking the wiring and the sending unit. If the problem persists, I would then run a can of seafoam through the crankcase, and change the oil.
Is the oil really nasty when you change it? Does the oil run out slowly when you change it?
When I checked the truck over when I bought it. It apparently had just been changed because the dipstick came up clear. My Son put about 2000 miles on it before the problem showed itself. He went on the first out of town trip, {that I know of} when he called me because the engine shut down. The pressure Gage {until that day} was showing good throughout the ordeal. But in the end it came out OK.
Funny you mentioned that. I replaced a motor in a 98 Windstar about 5 years ago. It was a 3.8 that had about 60,000 miles on it. The chick who owned it was a divorcee 3 years prior who new nothing about maintenance and never changed the oil. The pickup screen in the oil pan was totally plugged. It blew big-time. Upon investigating the problem, I pulled the very old looking oil filter and No (0) oil was inside of the filter

Nice lookin girl, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came maintaining a vehicle. She didn't have any money, but paid me in ways that I'll leave to your imagination.

When I finished, somehow I guess a stress crack developed in the windshield from the motor swap. I'm not sure how that happened, but I did have to lift the Van body off the motor to change it. The crack may have developed from that, Iduno... Anyways, after all that, she bitched about it

Well, the new car smell had run it's course at that point. Job, relationship - over lol. Yea, it was was was worth it, honest

Last edited by jbrew; 05-24-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you dont hear any knocking, I doubt its really losing pressure. I would dump in the seafoam, start it up,listening for very faint knocks. If no knocks, let it warm up, drain the oil, new filter, new oil and go from there. If its the sender unit, the seafoam might clean it up and get a good reading. If not, change the sender unit.
With an engine this high up of milege, I wouldnt worry about locking it by running it for a few mins. Everythings worn in and the clearances are nowhere close to where they were from factory

Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Suspended
brew your such a pimp

Old 05-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
brew your such a pimp
Who me? Nahh

Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Funny you mentioned that. I replaced a motor in a 98 Windstar about 5 years ago. It was a 3.8 that had about 60,000 miles on it. The chick who owned it was a divorcee 3 years prior who new nothing about maintenance and never changed the oil. The pickup screen in the oil pan was totally plugged. It blew big-time. Upon investigating the problem, I pulled the very old looking oil filter and No (0) oil was inside of the filter

Nice lookin girl, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came maintaining a vehicle. She didn't have any money, but paid me in ways that I'll leave to your imagination.

When I finished, somehow I guess a stress crack developed in the windshield from the motor swap. I'm not sure how that happened, but I did have to lift the Van body off the motor to change it. The crack may have developed from that, Iduno... Anyways, after all that, she bitched about it

Well, the new car smell had run it's course at that point. Job, relationship - over lol. Yea, it was was was worth it, honest

If not the windshield, she would have found something smaller to bitch about

Edit; I crack myself up sometimes

Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba
If not the windshield, she would have found something smaller to bitch about

Edit; I crack myself up sometimes
Right!! I can see why marriage rejected her, - she bitched out of turn lol.

Yea, I sit back at times and just crack up at current events. Then do the same years later lol. You triggered that memory my friend, - thanks for the laugh

Old 05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Suspended
n00bz

Old 05-24-2009, 03:33 PM
where to find the sensor?

Hi gents,

Thx for your replies; I fired it up again this am with hood open (to hear a clatter if present), but its working now. this on again, off again sure seems like the sensor.

however, in prep to swap it, i am not finding it. my 01, 5.4 auto 4x4,
could someone clue me where to find that sensor?

tia, jackc...

Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM

There is NO sensor to find.

The sender is above the axle on the block (drivers side), you disconnect then unscrew. -

It's probably just dirty/corroded ..

BTW, be gentle with that connector, they snap real easy.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad oil pressure sensor or lost oil pump?