Why Do Coil Packs Go Out So Much

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Do Coil Packs Go Out So Much

Mine havent gone yet. ( 63k miles) but a bunch of my buddys have replaced numerous coil packs. Are they defective or just bad design?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM
bad design (i think) whats wrong with plain onld coil and wires? i repaced 2 just today! and at $40 a piece i hope i dont have to do the other 6 anytime soon

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The most common reasons for them going out are not using dielectric grease properly when installing, and from washing your engine.

Why are you paying $40 each when you can get a full set of 8 for 70 bucks plus shipping (135 bucks plus shipping for the 3V) on Ebay?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The most common reasons for them going out are not using dielectric grease properly when installing, and from washing your engine.

Why are you paying $40 each when you can get a full set of 8 for 70 bucks plus shipping (135 bucks plus shipping for the 3V) on Ebay?
cuz i needed them now... the car show is this weekend (im entering into the burn-out comp, and hopeing for 1st place) and i didnt want the truck running like ***... and i did the full set off ebay and i just replaced 2 of em after like 8 months.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
Mine havent gone yet. ( 63k miles) but a bunch of my buddys have replaced numerous coil packs. Are they defective or just bad design?
Are you talking about coil packs for the 4.2 v6 and early pre 00 4.6 v8 or do you mean COP's (coil on plug) on the 5.4's? Like anything else wear and tear, age, conditions. Replaced my COP's on my 97 when doing the 100k tuneup a couple years ago they were not bad but I was there and the one's I bought were reasonable and I'm a believer in not buying the same ground twice. My Operations Manager Has over 200k on his 05 and they are still the originals. Then I've got a friend that has an 01 and about every other rain storm he has to replace one because it gets wet. Still haven't figured out that one, he just keeps a couple of extra one's in the tool box and yes dielectric grease. There's alot of threads on here about COP's what it comes down to is the Motorcrafts are expensive and the old aftermarket standby's like Accel and MSD etc are crap don't waist your money. Then you have the one's from Global or Uneek Auto on Ebay that are tried and true on this forum with the very few exceptions compared to previously named suppliers and very reasonable. Not to mention the Globals have a lifetime warranty not sure about Uneek's it's easy enough to keep an extra set in the toolbox for the next tuneup on your truck or someone you know. I remember back in the 70's I kept a new set of plugs, wires, rotor, rotor cap, coil, points, condenser, and can of WD-40 in the trunk of my 66 Mustang. These are things that naturaly were out some sooner than others.

Last edited by 97fordnut; 05-02-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by glc

Yup that 2. They are cheep enough to buy a set and throw them in the toolbox or on the shelf for when you might need them. They usually take about 4 to 5 days to come in the mail.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4

You must have a V6 - You can post in the V6 forum for specific info. This is news to me, -Coil Pack problems?? Hell, they usually last quite awhile. COP systems are more of a problem. BUT! - those are on the V8's , so, - NO WORRIES, for you and your buds

4.2L's have them, 4.6L's had them from 1997-2001, 5.4L's NEVER had them.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 AM
glc
He has cops - he's just calling them coil packs. Don't dog on him too bad.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by glc
He has cops - he's just calling them coil packs. Don't dog on him too bad.

Am I *******? Coil pack Ignitions and COP Ignition systems are two very different systems. Wouldn't you want to know which you have? I posted the systems above, he can take it anyway he wants, -it's more less enlightening. It might save him a trip to the parts store.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Am I *******? Coil pack Ignitions and COP Ignition systems are two very different systems. Wouldn't you want to know which you have? I posted the systems above, he can take it anyway he wants, -it's more less enlightening. It might save him a trip to the parts store.
How come the Ford dealership keeps calling them coil packs then? I had a couple go bad and they said it was the coil pack they said nothing about COPs?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by doubleplayer
How come the Ford dealership keeps calling them coil packs then? I had a couple go bad and they said it was the coil pack they said nothing about COPs?
They lack education, help them out.

A coil "pack" for our models is in charge of 4 or more cylinders. Coil Packs use plug wires.

COP (Coil Over Plug) systems consist of dedicated coils = One per cylinder. - No "Pack". No "Plug Wires" ... You follow ?

Who is the Ford dealership anyway ?? You won't hear a tech calling them what their not.

They are simply a coil (single) - not a coil pack. Two completely different parts that aren't interchangeable.

But yea, straighten your dealership out or keep it under your hat, if you want. Their "Coils" period.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM
COP Source

I just bought a 2001 F150 w/ 4.6 l. After it is warm it will mis-fire, but it does not generate any codes or check engine light. This seems to be a relatively common problem that is likely to be associated with a marginally bad COP.

97fordnut mentioned Global and Uneek Auto on e-bay as sources for COPs. After searching e-bay, I was unable to find them. Can anyone provide a link?

One other question... The mounting screw for #7 COP on my 4.6 V8 is a bugger to get to, there is a fuel sensor directly over it. Any suggestions on the best way to get at it? Swivel socket w/ extension?? Pull the full rail??

In researching this problem I found a blog entry by Joseph Carrillo, a service tech on www.justanswer.com. He suggested that the intermittent misfire could be captured by a "mastertech scan tool , or the actual ford diag tool" while the vehicle was on the road. "Then once you can see the cylinder or cylinders that are being flagged by the misfire counter , then it will help to isolate the problem." (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...blems-missfire, accessed 02 May 2009)

This seems like a handy idea, but if the ECU is not flagging it, would the diagnostic tool detect it?

Eugene B

Old 05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
glc
Search Ebay for "DG508", but if you have a 5.4 3V, search for "DG511".

Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by eugeneb
I just bought a 2001 F150 w/ 4.6 l. After it is warm it will mis-fire, but it does not generate any codes or check engine light. This seems to be a relatively common problem that is likely to be associated with a marginally bad COP.

97fordnut mentioned Global and Uneek Auto on e-bay as sources for COPs. After searching e-bay, I was unable to find them. Can anyone provide a link?

One other question... The mounting screw for #7 COP on my 4.6 V8 is a bugger to get to, there is a fuel sensor directly over it. Any suggestions on the best way to get at it? Swivel socket w/ extension?? Pull the full rail??

In researching this problem I found a blog entry by Joseph Carrillo, a service tech on www.justanswer.com. He suggested that the intermittent misfire could be captured by a "mastertech scan tool , or the actual ford diag tool" while the vehicle was on the road. "Then once you can see the cylinder or cylinders that are being flagged by the misfire counter , then it will help to isolate the problem." (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...blems-missfire, accessed 02 May 2009)

This seems like a handy idea, but if the ECU is not flagging it, would the diagnostic tool detect it?

Eugene B
Yea , that's the regulator over #7. I just pull the rail and flip it up on top of the manifold, - it's just 4 8mm bolts.

The only way I could monitor coils during the drive cycle was to tape a probe to the coil and extend the probe light wires thru the firewall into the cab. It sucks, but you can pickup a low grade misfire that way. You need a probe that picks up pulse. The PCM shoots a low voltage signal to each coil. The coil converts to pulse. The probe blinks with pulse, allot like a noid light.

Carquest has those probes, if you want to go thru the trouble -

Yea the ECU or PCM rather won't usually pickup a low grade misfire. You have quite a few options to pin point . But, that's IF you want to go thru the trouble and expense. The cheapest and less time consuming way is to swap out the entire set.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
glc
Or you can try to drive it in such a manner that you force the misfire till it finally trips the CEL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Do Coil Packs Go Out So Much