2004 5.4L Cam Phaser Noise w/ Video Link

Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 5.4L Cam Phaser Noise w/ Video Link

Hey everyone!...I've done some research on the Cam Phaser noise and think my truck might have this issue...I just bought the truck last week and it has 90,000 miles one it.. I have posted a video link I took of the truck after it has been warmed up.
I am also curious about the rattle or additional ticking that takes place once I get the trucks RPM stabilized at about 1200-1300 rpm.....Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Video Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbz9_CIaOU

Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Exactly what mine sounded like at 60k. The dealer charged $1800 for both side and the lash adjusters. But if you know how to do it I think the parts were around $700. I have no idea about the other noise.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ryanmc86
Exactly what mine sounded like at 60k. The dealer charged $1800 for both side and the lash adjusters. But if you know how to do it I think the parts were around $700. I have no idea about the other noise.
You forgot to add that he'd be better off taking that $1800 dollars for the dealer to do it and throw it out the window, because in almost all cases the sound comes back.

It's a known "issue", and I use quotations because it isn't causing any harm.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So glad I have a Ford ESP!......Yikes, that is loud!......

Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...I have heard that it's not hurting anything, just not the biggest fan of the sound ..

Heard of people putting Livernois Cam Phaser Lockouts to eliminate VCT, how bad would this option be to take care of the noise?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Follow the first link in my sig, Flat Rate Tech. Click on episode 22, you'll learn a lot about the Ford 5.4 liter 3valve VCT.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Follow the first link in my sig, Flat Rate Tech. Click on episode 22, you'll learn a lot about the Ford 5.4 liter 3valve VCT.
Thanks for the video link...I have watched that video and learned a lot of information on the VCT system, just debating on spending all the $$ to solve a noise issue, What are your suggestions?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 PM

You know, it's hard to tell from the video, but to me your truck sounds completely normal. The ticking is the injectors opening and closing. We all have that sound.

The cam phaser is a slight knock at warm idle, which is normal. I have it, never lost any sleep over the sound.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
You forgot to add that he'd be better off taking that $1800 dollars for the dealer to do it and throw it out the window, because in almost all cases the sound comes back.

I have heard a lot of people saying that this is not an issue but also found some claiming if it doest get fixed I'll be buying a new motor?!?

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62696

Seems there's more saying not to worry about it, I'm just not really familiar with the problem and dont want to spend the $$ on a new motor

I also found this link on a user putting comp cam limiters on then to stop the noise and add a little performance, Any thoughts on this?

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...=71352&start=0

Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
You know, it's hard to tell from the video, but to me your truck sounds completely normal. The ticking is the injectors opening and closing. We all have that sound.

The cam phaser is a slight knock at warm idle, which is normal. I have it, never lost any sleep over the sound.
FYI a knock at hot idle is NOT normal in anybodys engine it is a design flaw along with the plugs that ford will not recall

Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by blackf-150
FYI a knock at hot idle is NOT normal in anybodys engine it is a design flaw along with the plugs that ford will not recall
You need to do some research on the cam phaser and the 5.4 VCT theory and operation. Check the link in my sig and you won't make posts like that any more.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
You need to do some research on the cam phaser and the 5.4 VCT theory and operation. Check the link in my sig and you won't make posts like that any more.
Stealth- sorry to bug you about this again...Do you happen to know if this sound gets progressively worse as time goes on or the Phasers get older?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
The timing chain tensioner o rings will wear out and leak at higher mileage. I have done three of them in the last month and a half where the tensioners either froze up, bled oil pressure off, or sounded like the engine would come apart at idle. All three of these have had the timing chain rubbing on the front cover of the engine due to this. The fix is to replace both tensioners and any or all of the guides, and verify TDC on both sides on reassembly.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by b3ross
Stealth- sorry to bug you about this again...Do you happen to know if this sound gets progressively worse as time goes on or the Phasers get older?
The cam phaser noise can possibly get worse over time, but I cannot confirm whether or not it causes any damage or problems, I'm no Ford tech.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I have talked to a ford tech who has done more than a few cam phasers and lash adjusters he has only seen 2 complete failures both of which destroyed the engine, they will get progressively worse mine sounded like a rod was coming out on hot idle so had them done at 50K but I have the esp warranty so only paid a deductible I still have a 1-3 sec. rattle on cold start but don't think I will tear it down again my dealer can't even tell me what it is acts like oil is draining out of something in front of engine so it rattles until oil pressure is up am using all ford oil and filters, also had my plugs changed 7 of 8 broke but they got them all out there are a couple of definite design flaws in this engine for the early builds!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 5.4L Cam Phaser Noise w/ Video Link