Vapor management valve question?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vapor management valve question?

I have the pesky code (can not bleed of fuel tank problem). I changes the valve at the canister on the drivers side rear of truck, but that did not fix the problem. I just found out about the vapor management valve under the hood. I have not changed it yet. My question is have any of you guys dealt with this problem and if so what came about. thanks

Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Have you tried a new gas cap yet?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by glc
yea bro I got a ford one.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by glc
yea bro I got a ford one.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you tried diagnosing the problem instead of blindly throwing parts at it? All codes refer to electrical faults or unexpected signals. What signal is the PCM receiving that's making it set that code? Is the signal actually out-of-range? Is there a circuit fault, a sensor fault, or a mechanical condition causing the bad signal?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Have you tried diagnosing the problem instead of blindly throwing parts at it? All codes refer to electrical faults or unexpected signals. What signal is the PCM receiving that's making it set that code? Is the signal actually out-of-range? Is there a circuit fault, a sensor fault, or a mechanical condition causing the bad signal?
man I have no clue how to check these things. I am doing trial and error to try and figure it out.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 AM
glc
Please post the exact P-number of the code.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Please post the exact P-number of the code.
code is 1450

Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 AM
glc
From another forum:

Here is what the Ford manual says about a P1450.....

Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0446 or P1450 indicates that Self-Test has detected the Evaporative Emission Control System has excessive fuel tank vacuum. Also, a DTC P0446 indicates a vent control malfunction.

Possible causes:

EVAP canister purge outlet tube (EVAP canister purge valve to EVAP canister) blockages or kinks.
EVAP canister tube (fuel tank to EVAP canister) blockages or kinks.
Fuel vapor elbow on EVAP canister contaminated.
Restricted EVAP canister.
Canister vent (CV) solenoid stuck closed (partially or fully).
Plugged or contaminated CV solenoid filter.
EVAP canister purge valve stuck open.
Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief).
VREF circuit open in fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor.
Damaged FTP sensor.

The common problems I've seen that cause this code are mud in the CV solenoid and related parts, and wiring to the CV ripped apart. The parts I am talking about are in front of the spare tire, above and behind the rear diff.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You don't state your model or year - engine size ? Just how are we suppose to help when we don't know what we are working on ?

Fill your info in top right corner and be done with it. You'll get allot more help. Pretty sure I know what the problem is, but it involves year specific info. So I'm not wasting time posting the wrong info, specially if you can't take the time to post yours.

I'll give this- Well, IF the first digit is 1 then the code is described by the manufacturer and care must be taken to use the correct set of manufacturer PCM-specific OBD codes, or the results may be misleading. glc has it up there ^^^ . Our codes must be specific to the EECV powertrain control module (PCM).

Last edited by jbrew; 05-03-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You don't state your model or year - engine size ? Just how are we suppose to help when we don't know what we are working on ?

Fill your info in top right corner and be done with it. You'll get allot more help. Pretty sure I know what the problem is, but it involves year specific info. So I'm not wasting time posting the wrong info, specially if you can't take the time to post yours.

I'll give this- Well, IF the first digit is 1 then the code is described by the manufacturer and care must be taken to use the correct set of manufacturer PCM-specific OBD codes, or the results may be misleading. glc has it up there ^^^ . Our codes must be specific to the EECV powertrain control module (PCM).
I have a 98 Ford F 150 4.6L Auto 2wd

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by eric2561
I have a 98 Ford F 150 4.6L Auto 2wd
They discontinued that charcoal canister (#8), as far as I know there isn't a replacement. In back of the vent valve (The #9 arrow points directly to what needs to be disconnected.

Tie it up or pull the hose completely from the vehicle - she'll breath again and that is most likley what's causing the problem. The line just dead ends into an empty canister (far right of diagram) Don't worry , there is NO repercussions.

Closer look = Remove line (only + filter screen @ vent) that arrow is pointing to.

BTW- DO NOT disconnect any electrical or anything else, just what's pointed out; - she'll work as she should. No oder will be present.

And fill your info in - scroll up to user CP on black bar - click it , look at options to left / edit profile.

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 05-03-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
They discontinued that charcoal canister (#8), as far as I know there isn't a replacement. In back of the vent valve (The #9 arrow points directly to what needs to be disconnected.

Tie it up or pull the hose completely from the vehicle - she'll breath again and that is most likley what's causing the problem. The line just dead ends into an empty canister (far right of diagram) Don't worry , there is NO repercussions.

BTW- DO NOT disconnect any electrical or anything else, just what's pointed out; - she'll work as she should. No oder will be present.
what about the check engine light?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by eric2561
what about the check engine light?
What about it? Erase it.

Or "Re-boot" - Disconnect neg terminal for about a 1/2 hr or so. Then reconnect. No more light, unless you still have a problem, but stll it will take a little time to reappear, IF there is still a problem. I doubt it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
What about it? Erase it.

Or "Re-boot" - Disconnect neg terminal for about a 1/2 hr or so. Then reconnect. No more light, unless you still have a problem, but stll it will take a little time to reappear, IF there is still a problem. I doubt it.
Sorry for this question but, if it has been discontinued, are you saying its a dummy canister or I really dont need it anyway. If i disconnect the hose wont the cause the check engine light to stay on?

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vapor management valve question?