Additional Aux. Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Aux. Reverse Lights

Just picked up a 2009 supercrew 4x4. I'm interested in adding additional reverse lights. I'm planning on using two 55watt lights. I have the revese sensing system and a video camera in the tail gate. I do not want to destroy these features when installing the additional lighting. I do have a seven pin trailer connection. A few questions...

1) what would give better visibility at night fog lights or driving lights?

2) what are better...hologens or LED's?

3) what is the best way to wire the lights?

All comments will be appreciated.

Regards.....Joe

Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) what would give better visibility at night fog lights or driving lights?
If you think clear fog lamps vs. clear diving lamps, this comes down to use. Do you want distance or width ?
Usually fog lamps are low and wide light patterns where driving lamps are more narrowed ( ~ 10 to 20* beam width ).

2) what are better...halogens or LED's?
Depends on the LED kit. I have 2 of the Truck-Lite single backup LED lamps, and they work great. This is a wide beam pattern. Thing is they are not cheap. They are 44 diode lights, a single one is DOT spec for a reverse lamp on a semi tractor.

Watch the Maxium "cross reference" to this, it is a dome light, and completely useless.

3) what is the best way to wire the lights?
Depends on the load. The trailer tow 7 pin adapter has a reversing circuit in it, that is good for a 8 A load. 2 55 W fog lamps is 8.73 A, so you are technically over the limit, and should run a separate circuit to the back with a relay activated by the trailer tow adapter reversing circuit.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
to wire i would run a relay fed from the battery. take the switch side off of a reverse light feed. that's the best and safest way to do it.

i would go with fog lights. when backing up at night i hate the fact that i really can't see to either side of the truck. a fog would spread the light to the sides and still project enough light behind for them to be beneficial.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Sscully, where did you buy those reverse LEDs?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by subcooled
Sscully, where did you buy those reverse LEDs?
Bought them online somewhere, can't recall exactly where.

I just the low cost listing from google for Truck lite 44 LED backup.

The ones in the picture above are the 54 LED version.

You can order them grommet, flange and the color of the flange.

The listing of the different versions :
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...3667&langId=-1

Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I just slapped some autozone/walmart fog lights 20$ under my truck, made a huge difference with knowing where my corners of the truck are. My back 3 windows metered in at 1% tint

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...erse-fogs.html

Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Not cheap is right!! http://www.levineautoparts.com/model441.html
$135 or $257

Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
SSCULLY......thanks for the feedback.....Joe

Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Thumbs up White Night to the rescue!

I went with the White Night. I got it for my '99 and moved it to the '05. I love it. Throws a ton of light to the rear and out to the sides.

Fixed Mount Light Unit #4199. They're showing it listed for $99, I didn't pay that much 3 years ago.

I've also backed into a couple of things and busted two of the lenses but the ABS housing has taken a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Shouldn't have that problem with the reverse sensors on the '05.

I back-in everywhere to park so I can leave in a hurry if I have to. That plus having to park in in the dark at emergency scenes and then manuevering out after the call out here in the sticks makes having adequate lighting essential.

YMMV but I priced a lot of lights and kits when I bought mine, and being able to slap it onto the receiver hitch and make a couple of splices was a lot easier than spending a lot of time finding lights the right size and then trying to figure out where to mount them and then where to aim them.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
BAckup Lights

I found some great lights at VIP autoparts. I have the Pilot NV-803 installed under the rear. I attached them to the square bar of the trailer hitch with some stainless band clamps. I noticed Pilot makes some new ones that look sealed. They are not too expensive and give good light. To make them work, I just put a 7 pin trailer connector on the wiring and just plug them in. If I'm pulling a trailer, I just unplug them and stow the connector under the bumper. Seems simple and easy with no wire splicing. Just another idea to look at. have fun.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Brain Teaser - Aux. Lights

Is there a way I could hook up aux. lights where it only comes on when the head lights are on and the truck is in reverse? I do not want the aux. lights on everytime the vehicle is in reverse especially during daylight hours.

Regards.....Joe

Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jmxfour
Is there a way I could hook up aux. lights where it only comes on when the head lights are on and the truck is in reverse? I do not want the aux. lights on everytime the vehicle is in reverse especially during daylight hours.

Regards.....Joe
Sure, don't know why it is a big deal to have the aux lamps on during the day, but here you go.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by jmxfour

Regards.....Joe
That's the way the WhiteNight operates. It has a 3 position switch: always on, off & on in reverse.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by txarsoncop
That's the way the WhiteNight operates. It has a 3 position switch: always on, off & on in reverse.
That would be real convenient, get up in the AM, turn off the light. When you go out at dusk, turn it on to be with the reverse lamps...

I tried one of those, made for hooking up the trailer to be a real joy. That is one time I wanted the lights on all the time, when hooking up at night.

Quick Reply: Additional Aux. Reverse Lights