Fan blower not working

Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan blower not working

I have an '05 F150 FX4 and the blower just quit working. It doesn't work at any speed and I have checked the 2 fuses in the fuse panel.. Hoping it isn't the motor...Any other ideas?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be the selector switch, or the blower motor resistor, or the motor itself.

Which 2 fuses did you check, and how did you check them ?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I checked the fuses in the box in the cab.. They were good. Wouldn't it still work on at least 1 speed if it were the resistor?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marcfx4
I checked the fuses in the box in the cab.. They were good. Wouldn't it still work on at least 1 speed if it were the resistor?
That sounds like exactly what happened to my '99 Civic almost 2 years ago. It was -40C outside and I had to be in the car all night (private investigation work). I had to replace the blower motor. Really, really, cold work.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I am having a very similar problem in my F150. I have the Lariat package which provides an electronic panel control system. The control panel will not allow me to adjust the dim lighting or the fan up/down, the heated seats buttons are not functioning correctly either.

All in all, the AC/Heater temp is working and the AC will make the noise like it is coming on, but the blower will not blow.

I have checked the fuses (all good), unplugged the battery to see if the computer wanted to be reset (did not prove to work). I am left to think it is either the control panel or the blower.

My current thinking is to take it to FORD and have it hooked up to the diagnostic computer for $100 and see exactly where the fault is.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by slopoek
..<snip>...
Any other suggestions are welcome.
How about a MY and cab type to go with the trim level you posted ?

Add to that, WHICH fuses did you check. This turns into the "i didn't check that fuse game" when the posts are I check the fuses, or all the fuses.

I get some stupid answer when my reply to "I checked all the fuses" is why did you check the radio fuse....

Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
good point, headed to truck to pull fuses, all of them. I removed and check all fuses dealing with AC or blower. All with those labels I ruled out, but now headed to check any and all others.

I am at 86k miles and it is a 2005 crew cab lariat 4x4

Last edited by slopoek; 04-22-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM

good point, headed to truck to pull fuses, all of them. I removed and check all fuses dealing with AC or blower. All with those labels I ruled out, but now headed to check any and all others.

I am at 86k miles and it is a 2005 crew cab lariat 4x4
The specific fuses for the EATC :

F13 & F5 these feed the EATC module

F116 is the blower motor relay, which sounds like it is good ( if I read that correctly ).

F14 ( AC system )

All of these are fed from F102, which runs through the ign.

If the EATC display is dead, check fuses F13 & F5 1st.

If you have power on both sides of the fuse, then it would be the EATC module, but need to do some checking 1st.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
i ran through all of the above mentioned fuses and a couple others I saw had AC verbage int he literature. At this point I am assuming it is the EATC.

Would there be any reason to think the new master window switch i put on the drivers door would cause this to happen. The same day I replaced the switch I encountered these problems with my EATC module and blower and heated seats and...

Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM

i ran through all of the above mentioned fuses and a couple others I saw had AC verbage int he literature. At this point I am assuming it is the EATC.

Would there be any reason to think the new master window switch i put on the drivers door would cause this to happen. The same day I replaced the switch I encountered these problems with my EATC module and blower and heated seats and...
Did you check your door sill for the bad splice ?

This has had different items reported as not working with it

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...oor-opens.html

Just a though before you go tearing into your dash to check the connectors on the back of the EATC module.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 04-24-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I have now checked all wires in the door panel where I made the replacement. Seems as though I am running out of things to check before heading to Ford to have a diagnostic computer check.

Thank you SCULLY for all the replies and the suggestions!

Summary
1. Replaced the master window control in the drivers door
2. shortly after, AC/Heater stopped blowing air. The EATC is not bright nor repsonsive to certain things: dim, fan up/down, blower not blowing, seat heaters, etc. When I say dim, I am saying it is VERY dim to begin with and when I dim the radio when the headlights are on, the EATC will not respond accordingly.
3. Check all the respective fuses
4. Unplugged the negative to the battery to see if the computer in the truck wanted to be reset
5. Unplugged the new part I replaced for the window to see if it would make a difference
6. Check the wiring around the replacement part in the door panel for the window
7. rechecked the fuses and relay
8. NEXT STEP?

Any other advice for this guy over here without AC/Heat in his truck?

2005 Ford F150 crew cab 4x4 Lariat with 86k miles. 62k in first 11 months of owning truck.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM

The URL above is not for the wires located where you replaced the switch, these are in the door sill.

Sounds stupid, but I think this circuit goes to the VSM/BSM... ?

Take a look at the thread, it has pictures that show the rear door sill on the SCrew, almost to the point of there it goes up the C-pillar. Others have foudn the splice under the driver's door sill plate.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
VSM/BSM??? Not sure what these are

Not aguementative... Why would a splice occur in anywhere in the truck when I have not been in any of the mentioned areas? The only thing I did when replacing the wondow control module was pop the cover off the door handle and remove, then replace. That's it. One part removed, no wires disturbed in any other part of the truck.

I have check all the wires under the part removed and checked the connections as well.

Could there be something faulty with the master window control module that i replaced that would be causing this issue? All of the windows currently function properly and I disconnected the new part to see if that would make a difference, none. I am wondering if there is something in that new module.

Again, thank you for all of the help to this point and any further. I am very open to suggestions and appreciative as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM

This thread ( and threads with similar topic ) have had symptoms ranging from non operative PW and PM, power seat, power pedals.

Take a read through this thread ( same as the URL in post #10 above )

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...oor-opens.html

Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
just checked
1. power windows
2. power mirrors
3. power seats
4. power adjustable pedals

all functioning properly.

Heated seat control not functioning properly. all sterring wheel controls working properly accept the ones with the EATC (for obvious reasons).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan blower not working