Low beams not working, high beams work

Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low beams not working, high beams work

My low beams both went out on my 1997 f 150. High beams work when i pull the turn signal lever in. Checked the fuses and replaced the headlight bulbs and no go. Any thoughts ? Multifunction switch ? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you check for power at the bulb connector ?

Next would be to check for power on both sides of both fuses

Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
No I have not, but I will. I assume you're referring to the socket, aka bulb connector ? If so, I assume it would be ok if the brights work.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Yes the socket / connector are one in the same ( too used to calling things connectors ).

If the brights work, you will have voltage on only 1 of the 2 pins ( the 3rd is ground, which is black ).

The fuses, there are 2 fuses for the low beams ( cab fuse panel fuses 26 & 28 ) and 1 fuse for the high beams ( cab fuse 16 ).

Best to start with turning the headlamps on,and checking on the pin on the back of the fuse ( both sides ) for the low beams. Easier then yanking your headlamp housings out. Make sure you have a good ground when testing, as not to get a false reading.

If these are dead on both sides with the main headlamp switch turned to the head position, and the MFS in the low position, then there is a problem with the MFS, and time to remove and test it.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Sorry, threads on the MFS & cleaning it

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...on-switch.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...r-gremlin.html

The other you would see when taking it out, is a loose connector in the steering wheel column.

Which makes me think of another item, try moving the tilt on your steering wheel all the way down ( try low beams ) and all the way up ( try low beams again ).

This might diagnose the difference between the MFS and the connector.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Headlights not working

Thanks Sscully. I will use this info tonight to investigate my problem. Will keep you informed

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Don't forget that you do have two fuses, and two relays that control the HL circuit. The fuses and relays are in your UH-EC Fuse/Relay Box. The MF switch controls the relay coils first.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 98Expedition10
Don't forget that you do have two fuses, and two relays that control the HL circuit. The fuses and relays are in your UH-EC Fuse/Relay Box. The MF switch controls the relay coils first.
Relays are only with Autolamps

1997 EVTM cell 85-1

Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
i have exactly the same problem, 1997 XLT - only high beams. I checked for power at both fuses and I have 12 V at each one - on opposite sides of the fuse - i.e. there is 12 V on the right hand socket on one, 12 V on the left hand on the other. Is that weird - or is that how the fuse box is wired in the back? Anyway, having power there would seem to rule out the switches - so what is left ( no autolamp in this truck)

Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DCLoppy
i have exactly the same problem, 1997 XLT - only high beams. I checked for power at both fuses and I have 12 V at each one - on opposite sides of the fuse - i.e. there is 12 V on the right hand socket on one, 12 V on the left hand on the other. Is that weird - or is that how the fuse box is wired in the back? Anyway, having power there would seem to rule out the switches - so what is left ( no autolamp in this truck)
You pulled the fuse to check, or checked the pins on the back of the fuse ?

This is opposite sides of fuse 26 and 28 ?

You high beams, are they with the FTP feature ( flash to pass / pull back on the MFS ) or both FTP and normal operating ( push forward ) ?

If you have power to one side of fuses 26 & 28 with the main headlamp switch turned on, the MFS should be OK, as Fuses 26 & 28 are fed by the MFS.

If you test the back of the fuse for 26 & 28, and have power on both sides with the headlamp switch turned to the head position, time to check for power at the headlamp bulb connector.

PS : See you do not have Autolamps, do you have DRLs ?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I dont have power at the fusebox with the headlight switch on. MFS then ?. By the way, no autolamp for me.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Also switched out the relays and still no go

Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 PM

Pull the MFS and test it with the chart above, but if fuse slots #26 & #28 have no power with the main headlamp switch on, I would think MFS or the connector in the steering wheel column.

What relays did you swap, there are none without Autolamps on a 1997 ( see diagram above from the 1997 EVTM cell 85-1 headlamps, no autolamp )

Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Here is what I have so far:

Power on one side of both fuse sockets, fuses are good, no power at the light sockets. Is there a connector behind the fuse block that might have worked loose ( over a year ago I replaced the heater core, so all of the dash has been pulled out and stuck back in - in the process something might have been affected - again over a year ago).

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
ok. changed the MFS and I have headlights. thanks for the help. by the way, changing out the switch was scary easy. thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low beams not working, high beams work