2000 F150 5.4 Triton - Rough Idle

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 5.4 Triton - Rough Idle

I inherited a 2000 F150 Supercab this past Jan. It was an AZ truck that I drove to IL. The truck has 52K and was babied by the previous owner (my father-in-law).

It ran with no issues while I was in AZ for a couple of weeks and then on the drive home, it ran with no issues either. Once we hit Chicago the temp was 19. The next morning I went to drive the truck and after letting it warm up for 10 mins I noticed that when I came to a stop the engine was idling very roughly. It stopped as soon as I drove again. The check engine light came on and was on for 2 days. The check engine light cleared before I could get the code.

Fast forward to March. The rough idle happened on a couple occasions but the check engine light never came on again. I went to drive the truck this morning and it is running rough through all speeds. The engine is NOT idling roughly when in Park or neutral though....???

Other than knowing the truck had oil changes every 3000 miles I am not aware of the maint performed. As the previous owner has passed away I also can't get those answers.

I'm guessing it is some sensor since it is not happening in park or neutral. Maybe a fuel filter/fuel pump?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What motor do you have? Possible spark problem, COP if you have a 5.4

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM
5.4 Triton

Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by crocadoolie
5.4 Triton

Most likely one of the COP (Coil on Plug) has gone south on it. You should be able to get the code out as long as the battery has not been removed. On a good code scanner, you'll have a review freeze frame mode. Run that as it always keeps the info on the last code thrown. A blinking CEL indicates a non-emissions issue which is true for the misfire you have. Option 2 is to clear the computer by disconnecting the battery and stab the throttle. The misfire has to be pretty severe and continued to throw a code. Once you see the light pop on, even for a second, read the code and replace the COP and plug.

Motorcraft plugs only and might as well replace all the COP at the same time. Once 1 goes bad, they all like to follow along.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I've been ready some horror stories about plug replacements...is this the model that I need to be concerned about?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by crocadoolie
I've been ready some horror stories about plug replacements...is this the model that I need to be concerned about?
Just use the correct tools and you'll be fine. Anti-seize on the threads and lots of dielectric grease on the boot. Be sure to coat where the COP boot goes into the head too. I think what you'll find is that the tops of the COP where they connect to the plugs are corroded. There should be some good info on this forum about what to watch for in doing them. The tools do help alot though.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
*NO* antiseize, and torque the plugs to 28 ft/lb. The horror stories are 04+ 5.4's, yours is more susceptible to plugs loosening and blowing out, not sticking and breaking.

A full set of cops can be had on Ebay for under $100, and use only Motorcraft plugs.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Talking

I had rough Idle and would get a cylinder 3 misfire. Tried new spark plugs, fuel filter, injector cleaner, injector and moving coil packs around. Nothing worked so took it to the ford dealership. They founf that the wire to the coil and injector was bad put new wires and cleaned the injectors. Cost me $500 run's like new.

2001 Ford F-150 Suppercrew 105k 5.4L V8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 5.4 Triton - Rough Idle