F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Pump keeps clicking off when getting gas.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pump keeps clicking off when getting gas.

Hey guys. Anyone else have a problem with their trucks clicking off at the gas pump when it is not even nowhere near full yet? It seems anytime I try to put gas in my truck, doesnt matter which station I go to or which way the truck is leaning, tried that, it will click off almost always. It will click off either right away or it will go for a few dollars, then click off. Anything I can try to fix this? My older Chevy truck NEVER clicked off getting gas, not until it was full. Someone was telling me there is a plastic ball either in the filler neck or in the tank itself that may be causing the problem. They say the ball makes the pump click off early cause if its not working just right the way it was designed to, it gets in the way of the flow of gas to the tank and shuts the pump early cause it thinks its full, then you have to restart the pump. Anyone have any ideas? Its very annoying. There has to be a fix for this and Im sure its happening to more people than just me. Oh my truck is an 06 F350, regular cab longbed.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
There's a mod you can do to remedy that. All of 'em do it. It involves dropping the tank and cutting the plastic vent tube. Then you can fill it to the brim with no problems. It's called the harpoon mod.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Here's the vent tube mod...

Vent Tube Mod

Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
When I lived in Chicago the pump would always stop at $75....after trying to figure out the deal it seemed that at some stations they had a limit when using the card at the pump. Doubt that's the issue, but just had to mention it as your situation reminded me...

Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Ok well I don't drive a superduty but had the same problem today none the less. It clicked off after about 3 seconds and I was extremely confused. I ended up pulling the nozzle out a little and let it pump for a few seconds then put it back all the way in. It worked fine for the rest of it. My guess was there was vapors or something built up and kept sorta tricking the pump. May be your case? Maybe not.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I can fit 3 extra gallons into my tank after the pump first clicks off on my truck.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I can fit 3 extra gallons into my tank after the pump first clicks off on my truck.
I have learned when doing this make sure you stand off to the side or you are going to get bath of diesel fuel.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Never had that problem, I just take it slow. I actually pull the nozzle out and do it manually. Takes a few extra mins, but this way I know for sure exactly what mileage I am getting.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Never had that problem, I just take it slow. I actually pull the nozzle out and do it manually. Takes a few extra mins, but this way I know for sure exactly what mileage I am getting.
It doesnt always happen but some times it burps on me when I try it.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
It doesnt always happen but some times it burps on me when I try it.
It's happened to me a few times too.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I just stick a lighter down there to see if the gas is near the top..

NOT!!!!!

disclaimer: this was a joke ~ DON"T DO IT!!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Guys, thanks for all the replies, but isnt there anything else I can do that would be a little easier to tackle without having to drop the tank and do all those steps? Nothing I can do with the fillerneck itself or anything else I can try without removing the tank?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
The problem is caused by the vent tube in the top of the tank. When the fuel level reaches the bottom of the tube, there is no longer any way for air to escape from the tank as the fuel is going in. It's simple physics. The mod that most people do is to pull out the vent tube, cut off about two inches of the tube, then stick it back into the top of the tank. Short of that, I don't think there is any other way to fix the issue. If the fuel pump is kicking off before the fuel level is getting to the bottom of the vent tube, then your vent tube is either blocked or kinked and you will need to have it looked at by a shop, if you are unable to do it yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pump keeps clicking off when getting gas.