fuel gauge problem on 1995 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gauge problem on 1995 F-150

i have a 95 F-150 supercab (w/dual tanks). shortly after purchasing the truck used (about a month ago) the fuel gauge reading on the front tank dropped to empty (both tanks were filled). i can switch back to the rear tank and the gauge returns to full. i know that the tank selector switch is ok, because i initially ran the rear tank out of gas, switched back to the front tank (again showing empty on gauge) and ran 70-80 miles back on the front tank. i have checked the fuse, but with a single gauge-and again its working on the rear tank- did not see a problem in the fuse area. i have a Haynes manual but little info on the sending units and related wiring. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. i occasionally make some pretty long hauls, and although i can estimate mileage with the odometer i sure would like to straighten this out.

Old 08-18-2001, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Doc

Know the feeling. Went thru same thing with my last truck.

Had same exact thing happen, only way i could & did correct it was to install a new pump/sending unit in the tank. The only reason i did that was, the 2nd sending unit went out. so i had two bad units and no gas guage. I miscalcuated, yep, ran out of gas, not fun.

Theres a test you can do, to prove good or bad pump/sending unit.. Of course gotta get to wiring on top of tank, etc. Yeah, pump works, but sending unit craps out. So fragile looking for the work they do. Hmmmmmm?

I didnt do test, but it was posted somewhere on this board.
Good people here, maybe someone can help more.

Good luck. OT

Quick Reply: fuel gauge problem on 1995 F-150