95 ford 302 timing procedure?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 ford 302 timing procedure?

heh fellas ive got a problem and need a quick answer. how do you set the timing on a 95 ford 302 pickup? its my buddies truck and he pulled out the distributer to change it and didnt bother to mark which way the rotor was facing or anything and cant seem to get it set back right now. tried getting #1 at tdc and sticking the distributer back in and it would just kinda backfire so we pulled it back out and spun the motor 180 deg till #1 was at tdc again and put it back in and the same thing.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
#1 has to be at TDC with both valves closed, and the rotor needs to point to #1 in the cap. #1 is the front cylinder on the passenger side.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
we had it at tdc on the compression stroke but couldnt get it to fire off. is there anything else that it could be it was running before he took it apart just wouldnt run over 40 45 mph

Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
new, used or reman distributor? and where from? how olds the fuel filter? what was wrong with the old distributor?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
they both looked old so i assume it was a dist. off of another motor. he is not the type of person to buy something if he doesnt have to. fuel filter probally never changed. who knows he just bought the truck 2 days ago its a hooptie 6" lift 35 boggers and looks like its been through hell. he give like 400 for it. it was running when he drove it home but wouldnt go over 40 or 50mph he said so he pulled the dist. dont ask me why i dont know why and swapped it with another one and now cant get it to fire off with either one.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Be sure he got his plug wires back on correctly. I believe that engine uses a non-HO firing order. Also, to actually set the timing (assuming he gets it to start) you must pull the SPOUT connector - which is somewhere in the wire harness going to the distributor. Once timing is set, replace the SPOUT to return timing control to the EEC.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by 06 So Comfort
Be sure he got his plug wires back on correctly. I believe that engine uses a non-HO firing order. Also, to actually set the timing (assuming he gets it to start) you must pull the SPOUT connector - which is somewhere in the wire harness going to the distributor. Once timing is set, replace the SPOUT to return timing control to the EEC.
It does use the HO firing order, the same as the the 351 (5.8L).

/

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 PM
he said he didnt pull the wires off the cap so they should still be right. what is a spout connector? and if we ever get it to crank can these be timed with a timing light? sorry for the stupid questions but the only ford i have ever owned is my 07 f150 all of my other trucks have been chevy powered.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 AM
The spout connector is on the drivers side between the wheel well & firewall.You will see a two wire pig tail with a grey or white plug in it.Remove the spout and set timing to 10 deg before tdc..Then install spout..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by jrfonte
what is a spout connector?
The SPOUT wire is the wire the computer uses to change the timing as conditions change. It runs between the PCM Computer and the ICM (Ignition Control Module). The ICM fires the coil.
The SPOUT Connector (or Shorting bar or Jumper as it is sometimes called) is a brake in this wire to take the timing ability away from the PCM Computer.
This Spout connector must be removed when you set the base timing at 10 *BTDC so the computer has a starting point when the SPOUT is put back in. Then all timing is adjusted (or added to) this point by the computer.

Originally Posted by jrfonte
and if we ever get it to crank can these be timed with a timing light?.
Yes you must use a timing light to set the timing on a warm engine hooked to #1 spark plug wire and then after the distributor is locked back down and you check to see that it has not moved you put the SPOUT back in and check it again. When you put it back in and check it it must have moved some or you have problems with the computer, wiring or the ICM.

SPOUT = SPark OUTput

Image of the SPOUT:

95 Info:

/

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Question would it be the same?

Originally Posted by subford
The SPOUT wire is the wire the computer uses to change the timing as conditions change. It runs between the PCM Computer and the ICM (Ignition Control Module). The ICM fires the coil.
The SPOUT Connector (or Shorting bar or Jumper as it is sometimes called) is a brake in this wire to take the timing ability away from the PCM Computer.
This Spout connector must be removed when you set the base timing at 10 *BTDC so the computer has a starting point when the SPOUT is put back in. Then all timing is adjusted (or added to) this point by the computer.

Yes you must use a timing light to set the timing on a warm engine hooked to #1 spark plug wire and then after the distributor is locked back down and you check to see that it has not moved you put the SPOUT back in and check it again. When you put it back in and check it it must have moved some or you have problems with the computer, wiring or the ICM.

SPOUT = SPark OUTput

Image of the SPOUT:

95 Info:

/
Would this procedure be the same on an 88 f150 320 automatic with fuel injection? and if not, what would it be?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by StugatS
Would this procedure be the same on an 88 f150 320 automatic with fuel injection? and if not, what would it be?
I think you mean a 302 and not a 320.
But yes the procedure would be the same except the SPOUT shorting bar (jumper) would be under the distributor.

Photo:

/

Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by subford
I think you mean a 302 and not a 320.
But yes the procedure would be the same except the SPOUT shorting bar (jumper) would be under the distributor.

Photo:

/
yes, I meant 302...typo,lol....and I found the spout today actually Thanx bro!

Old 01-08-2016, 12:56 AM
95 ford f150 5.0 automatic

Ok I hope someone can help me I just bought a 95 ford f150 with a 302 . The problem im having is it takes forever to get up to speed takes about 2-3 miles to get to 60 mph then if I go up a hill it slows down. From what im seeing online it seems the timing is off. Dose that make sense? Or where should I start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 ford 302 timing procedure?