1997 - 2003 F-150

Check Engine Light Flashing PO302

Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light Flashing PO302

Hello again all. I had a 401 problem here not to long ago and I think with your all's help and help from another forum, I think I have fixed that problem. Now my check engine light is flashing at me and I get a code of 302 cylinder #2 misfire. I have done a couple of thing to fix this problem but nothing has worked so far. What I have done is this:

Replaced #2 fuel injector
Replaced and Gapped all Spark Plugs
Replaced all Plug Cables
Replaced DPFE Sensor
Replaced EGR Valve and Gasket
Removed, Cleaned & Returned Throttle Body and Replaced Gaskets

Other than changing out the coil #2 is on, what else can I do. I am at a loss as to what this could be. Please help.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well my 03 was doing that to me but that was when i "sprayed" off the motor at the car wash and blew two of my COP's. Your 97 doesnt have COPS though. This is what the po302 means

A code P0302 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Have you done anything with you Cats? they may be clogged up

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I have not done anything with the cats. If they are clogged, how do I unclog them? I do not think that my O2 sensors are bad, they are not that old. I do not think it is the fuel injector since I just replaced it less than 8 hrs ago. It's not the spark pulgs or cables. I really do not think it is runing out of fuel since I fill it up 2 a week. I don't think I have a faulty computer. So that leaves the coil packs, and exhault valve. Is there anything else?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Omikse
I have not done anything with the cats. If they are clogged, how do I unclog them? I do not think that my O2 sensors are bad, they are not that old. I do not think it is the fuel injector since I just replaced it less than 8 hrs ago. It's not the spark pulgs or cables. I really do not think it is runing out of fuel since I fill it up 2 a week. I don't think I have a faulty computer. So that leaves the coil packs, and exhault valve. Is there anything else?
i would run it by a exhaust shop and they can tell you in about 2 mins if they are clogged. Do you get any bad smells when the truck is ideling? if they are good i would change the fuel filter if you havent done it. ONe thing to try is take it to autozone or somewhere and get them to erase the cel and that may reset the computer. if you put in a new injector the computer may not be reading it right. If there is not a store to reset the computer just disconnect the battery for a half hour or so and it will reset.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm actually running right now with a bad MAFS, third one I have replaced too. Thinking about dishing out some more money and just replacing the entire system with a aftermarket company.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
MAFS? Call me stupid but what is that? As for dishing out the money, that is easier said than done. I am on a low budget and I am trying to do as many repairs on my own as possible. For everything that I have replace so far I think has run me about 150 - 200 dollars spread out over a couple of months. If I would have taken it to a machanic, it would have cost me at least twice that and they would have wanted it up at the time of service and I can't pay that on the money I make.

Some one once asked me what my oil smelled like, well I finally checked it and it smells like oil that has been in the engine. I did not smell anything out of the orinary. There is a metallic smell in my truck when I start it up. Also my exhuast does smell a little funny. I can not descibe it. If the Cat's are bad what would my exhuast smell like I also want to repoint out that when this problem first start it would run rough but after a certian amount of driving, the problem would go away and the truck would run normally. If I barely put my foot on the gas at high speeds my truck would start to run normal but it does not do that any more, it runs rough all the time now.

I want to give you a new code but since that last thing I did to my truck (changed out the #2 injector) my egine light has not come back on even though again it is still running rough. I bought an EGR pipe because my old one is looking a bit rusted but had not the time to change it out since I hurt my wrist recently but it will get replaced soon. other than that, nothing has been done other than what has been said in this thread by me.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Well it has been a while since I last posted on this topic and I am here to make an update.

After I last talke to you I had parked the truck for almost a year. Tax time came around this year and I thought my truck was not repairable within the money I had on hand. So I started to look for another car. After about a month or two I did not find anything I liked and close or close to the price range that I wanted so I desiceed to unpark the truck and have it looked at. I took it to a local machanic just to atleast see what was wrong with it. Well the problem only took a little over 500 dollars to fix. This included the cost of diagnosing the problem which turned out to be a couple of things. First off, the spark plug cables, according to the guy who worked on it, were not it there right positions. Second, the ignition coil on the right side of the truck, if you are faceing it from the front, was bad, plus I had him do a radiator flush while he was at it since it never has had one to my knowledge. Turned out to be an easy fix after all. I do have a hearter core problem now but that is another post I am going to take care of after finishing this one. Thanks for all the help gang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Flashing PO302