2004 - 2008 F-150

help...stuck lug nuts

Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help...stuck lug nuts

i need some expert advise here. i took my truck to a local tire shop to have my tires rotated (these are stock wheels and tires...first time rotating). come to find out they weren't able to remove 2 of the 6 lug nuts on the drivers side rear. they said they tried everything they could being careful not to strip them. they refered me to a nearby repair shop that could take a look at it, but they quoted me 1 hour of labor to get it removed...one lug nut costing 1 hour of labor?!?! i said forget it. i got home and i wanted to see just how tight they where myself. i was standing on the wrench myself (205lbs) and that thing didn't budge at all. i'm tight on cash so i need any advise on how to get these bad boys off. do you think heating it up w/ a small propane torch might help?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a long piece of pipe and a helper and snap that mother off. use the mechanical advantage to your benefit. then just put new wheel studs in

Last edited by ATOM; 02-16-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 AM
studs arent that expensive and are easy to change

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Sounds like somebody cross-threaded those bad-boys! I bet it was some grease-monkey who didn't know that you were supposed to thread the lugnut on by hand first, before tightening them with the impact wrench.

I watched a guy at WalMart put all four wheels back on a car once by putting the lugnuts in the end of the impact wrench and then threading them on with the wrench. When I asked him if he knew why it was wrong to do that, he said he had been doing it that way for years.

You really only have one option...so you might as well go for it. If they break, like others have said, the studs are easy to replace. Maybe you will get lucky and they won't break. Either way, you have to try.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JC150
i need some expert advise here. i took my truck to a local tire shop to have my tires rotated (these are stock wheels and tires...first time rotating). come to find out they weren't able to remove 2 of the 6 lug nuts on the drivers side rear. they said they tried everything they could being careful not to strip them. they refered me to a nearby repair shop that could take a look at it, but they quoted me 1 hour of labor to get it removed...one lug nut costing 1 hour of labor?!?! i said forget it. i got home and i wanted to see just how tight they where myself. i was standing on the wrench myself (205lbs) and that thing didn't budge at all. i'm tight on cash so i need any advise on how to get these bad boys off. do you think heating it up w/ a small propane torch might help?
You're not likely to snap 'em off TAKING 'em off! Not unless they ARE crossthreaded. Which I doubt they are. If you crossthreaded one of those, it's gonna break off before you ever get it tight. They call for 150lbs. of torque any way, which is a lot. Like the one poster said, put a cheater pipe on a breaker bar and I'll bet any money it comes off. I have had tires installed where they used an impact wrench and were so tight I thought I'd break the breaker bar getting them off, but they have always come off. I've never seen a stud break TAKING THEM OFF, unless it WAS crossthreaded. Those aren't tire installers, they're KNUCKLEHEADS!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 AM
the torch might work, but id be hesitant to take a torch to my wheels

take a chain-link fence post and put it on the end of a wrench lol

Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 AM
I definitely would not use a torch near your aluminum wheels. Studs are cheap...a new wheel isn't!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck came new with 3 or 4 lug nuts tight like this. Like was suggested, I got a 3 ft piece of pipe and brute forced them off. One was so tight I had to stand on the pipe and wound up putting a twist in my lug wrench, but it broke free. All are fine now.

This is why I have posted a couple of times when people complain about how tight the oil filter is from the factory that they check their lug nuts too. You don't want to find this when you're on the side if the road with a flat.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
i'll give the breaker bar a try...i found a 25" one at Harbor Freight Tools for $13.00. another question...worst case to happen is the lug nut gets striped...then what?

Last edited by JC150; 02-16-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
i'll give the breaker bar a try...i found a 25" one at Harbor Freight Tools for $13.00. another question...worst case to happen is the lug nut gets striped...then what?
Do you happen to know someone with a good 1/2" impact? If so I would give that a shot. If not use the breaker bar (no extention) and jump on that SOB until the nut comes loose, stud breaks, breaker bar breaks, or you break. If the nut strips out you'll have to either figure out a way to cut it off, or weld a nut on the end of it which would probably just break the weld since they are on so tight. You can also try hittin the nut with a good punch and a hammer or hitting the end of breaker bar with the hammer to try and get loosened up enough. Good lucK

Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
$13 for 25" is a rip off. you don't need something that is branded as a breaker bar. you just need a piece of pipe that is 1.5"-2", by 3'-4' long.

are the nuts stripped at all? is there any play when you put the socket on? if so, I'd try and get a pair of vise grips on there. A trick my brother once mentioned was getting the vise grip on as tight as you can by hand, then take another set of vise grips, and turn the *** as much as it'll go after the first one is locked on.

shoot some penetrating oil in there too.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Suspended
i wouldn't waste my money on harbor freight junk, just take a good ratchet and a piece of pipe, like 6 footer and tighten it and then try to loosen it. that should crack the lug loose and then let you loosen it. this was worked several times for me, impacts are great, but more times that not you strip the lugs trying to get stubborn lugs off. are these stock lugs or aftermarket?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
ATOM
i'll try that tightening and loosening trick and see if that'll work. and these are stock lugs

Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last week, walmart couldnt get 3 lugs off the driver rear. I bought a $5 can of PB Blaster and in 2 seconds they came right off.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
just bust them loose. everyone is right, replacing studs is easy. I use my floor jack handle as a breaker bar, or a all steel shovel that has a D for a handle.

Last edited by polevaulter95; 02-16-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: i said lugnuts instead of studs, could be misleading.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help...stuck lug nuts