Diablosport vs. Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablosport vs. Superchip

To contnue the diablosport vs. superchip thread as new....

Got a diablosport installed about 500 miles ago. At first I had to check to make sure they actually put a chip in... Took at least 200-300 miles before the system seemed like it was fully online... Better acceleration at part throttle from a dead stop. Tighter shifting right away. Still a little disappointed so I had the shop swap me for a superchip. The 1-2 shift was quick, but not firm. 2-3 was quicker and firmer.

When replaced, I made SURE they cleared the computer completely. Lights, grounding pos., disconnected for 1/2 hour, etc. etc...

As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot with the superchip, I noticed a difference in the acceleration. The 1-2 shift was MUCH firmer than the diablo. 2-3 was somewhat firmer as the diablo was quite firm already.

I will put a couple hundred miles on it a report back. Looking promising already. Please don't flame with with BS about trying something contrary to the mass, but that is my nature. Trust, but verify!

Ken

Old 08-09-2001, 02:43 PM
HOW DOES THE SUPER CHIP FIT ? I HAVE HEARD YOU MUST USE TAPE TO HOLD IT TOGETHER.

I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT THE DIABLO IS A MUCH BETTER FIT WITH NO TAPE. AND DIFFERENCE IN HP IS NOT ALOT

I THINK IT IS TACKY TO BUT TAPE ON A BEAUTIFUL FORD.

I WANT SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE FACTORY NEW WITH PERFORMANCE AS WELL.

NOT SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO FALL OUT.

Old 08-09-2001, 02:54 PM
Yes, tape seems to be the order of the day to hold the superchip in. The diablo slides in nice and neat and requires no further adhesion to keep it in place. I would suspect that the superchip would probably stay connected w/o the tape, but I think it is best to be sure...

Old 08-09-2001, 03:33 PM
So right off the bat the superchip feels the best? Drivability and performance? I agree I like how the diablosports chip fits into the computer. But if there is THAT much noticable difference I dont care if I have to use a bit of tape. Keep us informed.. 'BuffaloZone' seems to have disapeared. I was looking forward to his findings also. I spoke to someone who sells both and they tell me there is no difference between the two chips with my computer code. . ?
thanks for keeping us up to date Ken!

Old 08-09-2001, 03:34 PM
TAPE I DONT THINK SO! I AM SORRY SUPERCHIP IS NOT FOR ME.

I CANNOT SEE MYSELF PUTTING TAPE ON A BEAUTIFUL FORD
WITH LEATHER HEATED SEATS REALLY WOOD-TRIM. DUAL EXHUAST CHROME TIPS. GORHINO CHROME FRONT GRILL, PIAA LIGHTS, K&N FILTER,EURO REAR LIGHTS, ALPINE SYSTEM, TOYO PROXES S/T

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST SUPERCHIP, BUT THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS TAPE S#*% !

I AM SUPRISED THAT MIKE T. HAS NOT RECIEVED COMPLIANTS ABOUT THIS ?

Old 08-09-2001, 03:44 PM
Youre right. Tape is pretty sorry. But no one sees it, just use scotch! I understand what you are saying. I think they have gotten a lot of complaints about using tape. It must be just too much money to change now though.

Last edited by ELKTAGAZ; 08-09-2001 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:51 PM
Its not like you can see the chip when your in the vehicle, unless you lie on your back and strain to look under the passenger area.
Who cares about using tape. It bothered me, so I used scotch tape and the performance is great, which is why I bought it anyway!

Old 08-09-2001, 04:17 PM
I GUESS SOME OF US ARE FINE WITH TAPE. FOR A LITTLE PERFORMANCE GAINS.
I GUESS SOME OF US JUST HAVE A HIGHER LEVEL OF EXCEPTIONS.
I HAVE ALSO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD BOTH SC AND DIABLO AND THERE IS VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCES.

IT DOES BOTHER ME THAT A PERFORMANCE CHIP THAT COST AROUND $200 HAS TO BE HELD WITH TAPE, ELECTRIC TAPE OR SCOTCH TAPE. IT'S STILL TAPE. YOU THINK WITH ALL THE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE THAT SC HAS, THEY WOULD DEVELOP A PRODUCT THAT FITS OUR TRUCK WITH OUT TAPE. AGAIN I DONT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST SUPERCHIP AND I DO NOT LOVE DIABLO CHIP.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. NO BLOOD NO FOUL

Old 08-09-2001, 05:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what do you think holds on the emblems on the side of you truck. seems like a cheap plastic piece could be made and supplied with the chip.

Old 08-09-2001, 06:11 PM
Tape is our friend...

I am amazed at how much talk is going on about man's best friend next to our dogs..and O.K. our trucks. I have installed car audio for years and even after using the proper connectors, I will still tape the connections. It secures the wires and helps prevent any problems in the future. Nobody will ever see the chip in the computer, unless you decide to show them. I like the fact that you can remove the chip if needed by simply pulling it out and not having to remove the whole computer. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 08-09-2001, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BigRedExpy,

Sounds like you have never actually seen a Superchip, or seen one properly installed, so you might not fully understand what's going on here with regards to using tape with the Superchip.

First, tape is *not* required to hold the Superchip in place in normal operations, just as the poster who used both clearly said. And unless a vehicle is of a type that has a "rough" suspension or we know it's going to see rough use, we do not use tape on them. Nor can you ever see it even when tape is used, it is completely out of sight, unless you remove the computer from the vehicle.

The Superchip actually has a little bit tighter grip on that connector than the Diablo chip does, we carry both brands and know this well. That is *not* to say that the Diablo does not have a good grip on that connector, I think it's fine.

The Diablo chip is like no other in that it's the only one I've ever seen that is completely open in design, it's just a chip mounted on a raw PCB (printed circuit board), and it has no enclosure, no EMP or any other kind of protection or shielding of any kind, to protect it ether in handling while programming & installing or in actual use. It's designed to be hidden inside the ECU, it's just the chip mounted on a raw PCB that connects to the J3 male edge connector, basically. It too, has tape already on it, but in the case o unit, that is used as a "handle" to be used to pull it off with, as you should never handle the raw PCB.

The Superchip grips that connector just fine, and is a completely sealed module that is fully enclosed and protects the functioning parts from just about anything other than perhaps throwing it into a lake. The Superchip is not open, you cannot see the raw PCB or any other components inside like you can with the Diablo, as they are all sealed & protected in the Superchip.

We will use clear disktop Scotch tape anytime we install the Superchip in a vehicle that has a rougher suspension, such as pickup trucks and 4WD vehicles, for example; you never know how people are going to use their vehicles, so it's only prudent to take preventive measures for rough use, and *that* is what this tape thing is *really* all about, it's not some kind of tacky design or design flaw, not by any stretch of the imagination.

In the event of an impact with another vehicle, or rough/offroad use, etc. either of these chips could potentially back off from the connector from vibration, etc., if you don't take a preventive measure, and that is covered fully in the documentation that comes with these chips.

So as a purely precautionary measure, when we install them in vehicles that have rougher suspensions, we will place some clear tape very neatly & precisely over the module to keep it from backing off of the connector in the case of a vehicle impact event. *That* is the only reason why, and the only time we will use tape, and it's for a darned good reason. We carry both brands, and we'll do the same thing when we install the Diablo into a vehicle with a rougher suspension, so that in the case of a vehicle impact event, hitting another vehicle, nailing a large pothole hard, etc., you get the idea, the chip still has a good connection.

I hope that clears this up a bit for you,

Old 08-09-2001, 07:46 PM
I have had a Superchip in my truck for about six months now. I have never used tape. The thing is IN there! It would take a hell of a lot to shake that thing loose. It is pretty tough to take out actually. You don't 'need' tape.
I would like to here more about what people think of the different chips.
Thanks ken800 for letting us know what you think.
It would be cool to here from others.
There is tape every where. Vehicles are full of it. It's used in all sorts of products, by tons of companies, for all sorts of reasons.
When it comes to performance mods, tape is the last thing that I'm thinking of. I just want the best performance for the money.
Tom

Old 08-09-2001, 10:54 PM
BigRedExpy,

What's wrong with tape? The striping on most of our trucks is just glorified tape! The body moldings and nameplates are held on with double stick tape. I'm sure there are more places where tape is used on our trucks that we never get to see. Oh, in case you're wondering, it's the same deal with all vehicles made by all the manufacturers.

Shoot, even the wings of many multi million dollar passernger jets are held together with tape! The carpet in most homes, offices, etc., are held together with tape. There are a whole bunch of radios, tvs, vcrs, etc., that have components held by tape. The air conditioning ducts and insulation in multi hundred million dollar buildings are held together with tape.

Last edited by Dennis; 08-09-2001 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:08 PM
Quit with the tape issue please! I know there are a few others out there that have tried both... Tell us what you think as well. It appears that my new superchip is going through the same assimilation process that the diablo went through. At first, the rpm shift change and shift firmness are immediately apparent. HP and Torque is not. As time went by with the diablo, performance got quite a bit better. We will see with the superchip.

One interesting thing I noticed that both chips did right after install was decelerate rather strongly. With both chips, I got up to around 80, let off, and then 1 second later it was like I turned off the OD and it engine braked. Interesting... It did the exact same thing with the diablo. It only did it that one time. Next time on the freeway, no deceleration. Wierd. I will repost in about a week once I know for sure performance is getting better. I sure hope it does for if not I am screwed.

For now I definitely like the shifting of the superchip better. MUCH firmer. Stay tuned...

Old 08-10-2001, 09:37 AM
Hey Mike when did you guys start carry DIABLO ? I thought you only sold SUPERCHIP?

Thank you for clearing up the whole tape issue. Some guys made it seen like it was a tacky product held together by tape. I have nothing against tape.

When it comes to my EXPY I have very very high standards. I want the best performance along with the best custom fit.(some guys are like me they only want the best with no room for error)

So I guess I have to wait for Diablo to gain the performance of the SuperChip and SuperChip to aquire the custom fit of the Diablo.

I know that most things are held by tape, but if it could be avoided, then I would rather go that route.

Thanks again Mike

Quick Reply: Diablosport vs. Superchip