Converting 2WD to 4WD- what would it take?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting 2WD to 4WD- what would it take?

and no, don't give me smart *** answers saying "just get a new truck."

Someone with true mechanical knowledge, please chime in!

I'd like to know what it would require, how much money, etc.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 PM
2wd - 4wd can be done. But it will cost some money.

theres 2 ways of doing this.

KEEP IFS
1. Go to a salvage yard and strip out all the front suspension, including the 8.8 Front diff and CV shafts. If you cant find this stuff used then you can buy it new.
2. T-case you will need one. I think our trucks use a Borg Warner
3. Front drive shaft
4. Make sure to take the hubs/ spingles from the parts truck
5. The front diff will need the same gear ratio to be functional
6. Im not sure if the T-case will bolt directly up to your 2wd transmission but it might.
7. the rear drive shaft will probably have to be shortened
8. you need either an electrical sending unit or manual shifter.
9. theres multiple wires and vacuum lines that you will need

SCRAPPIN THE IFS FOR A SFA
1. Locate either a D44, D50, or D60. Ford 9" Front will also work.
2. then decided how you want the suspension setup. Leaf springs, radius arms and coil springs, 4 link and coil overs. theres multiple options here
3. Decide on desired ride higth, you will need to add around 8" of lift to clear all the crossmembers.
4. If you cant do the welding yourself find a repected 4x4 shop to do it for you. Agains popular belief a good shop can make a bolt on conversion for an axle of your choice but it might be more expensive than just having them weld everything on. (thats what im doing)
5. You will still need a t-case, id go with a NP205 unless theres gonna be clearance issues.
6. there still will be wiring and such to deal with.
7. Decide what steering you would like to run, high steer, crossover steer, hydro assist.

I think a Solid axle swap like the second plan would be alot better than trying to convert to 4x4 and keep the IFS.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
2wd-4wd

RJcav,

You didn't mention the extent of your mechanical knowledge and if you have access to a wide variaty of tools. Because if you are not going to do most of the grunt work youself, it will make an enormous difference in the cost of your project. I know that you said at the outset that you didn't want to hear smartass advice about buying a new truck, but in reality sometimes that is the better and safer way to go. I think you're doing the right thing by asking around, but be realistic about the responses that you get. Good Luck.

Bob

Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should just buy a new truck

Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
the 2wd also has a different frame then the 4wd so dont waste your time....

Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
the 2wd also has a different frame then the 4wd so dont waste your time....
since when? as far as i know the frames are the same width and shaped the same.

The only difference would be mounting brackets.

but none of this would make a difference if de decided to go with a SFA

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 AM
there would not be enough clearance for mounting the diff in a 2wd frame. the front lower section (part the lower a-arms bolt to) does not drop down as far on a 2wd frame. which is also the reason for the ride hight difference and longer coil over shocks on a 4x4. other things such as engine mount hight/location are also different.

Last edited by Paralyzer; 01-29-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
in order to convert your 2WD transmission to 4WD, you would need to change the 2WD output shaft to the 4WD output shaft. this requires total disassembly and reassembly of the transmission. the the 2WD output shaft is the last part out, and the 4WD output shaft is the first part back in.

our trucks use the Borg Warner 4406 transfer case. upon converting your transmission to 4WD, it will bolt up w/ no issues.

the front frame rail sections on a 2WD and 4WD models are different, so they would have to be swapped out as well.

basically, this is like a truck sex change operation, and to me, its not worth the hassle unless you're going to perform a SAS.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Suspended
x2 on everything that has been said. and if you buy new parts it won't be worth your time or money. im assuming you need 4wd just for daily life in maryland during the winter, honestly if your not wanting a lift, a new truck is your best and cheapest option and how many people will buy a converted 4wd IFS truck? for all they know it was a hack job so thats something else to consider. for the time and money to go to IFS it would be easier for you to sell and buy new. i know you said this is not an option or you don't want to hear it. if you want to lift then i would agree with trimble and do a SAS. if your really set on keeping this truck and 4wd, post pics and details as you get it done

Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
thanks for the help. i do need the 4wd, and sadly realize that after buying the truck.

I paid the truck off in full and i hate to go lose all this money on it. i've talked to a few dealerships, and 1 has said they'd be willing to do a flat out trade for a used 4wd XLT with 30,000 miles on it. My truck only has 12,000. anyone think that's a good idea?

I am lifting the truck, but the SAS is something i just don't need.

Thanks for the info, i appreciate the help.

Converting the truck over would likely be too much for me to handle right now, after seeing all the responses. so i guess the only option is to trade the truck in.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
...or keep the truck and pick up a cheap 4x4 for those days when you need it. I'm sure if you did some searching, you could find a nice used truck for the loss you would take on trade.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by rch10007
...or keep the truck and pick up a cheap 4x4 for those days when you need it. I'm sure if you did some searching, you could find a nice used truck for the loss you would take on trade.
x2! you could check out autotrader and find decent priced 4x4... even if it is a silverado :P I will say, those chevy's last a good while.... don't worry, we'll forgive you for driving a chevy on the days you need 4x4. Just tell everyone you didn't want to mess up your sweet lookin F150 by driving out in all that mess.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah man id say go get yourself a 97-03 F150. these things are DIRT CHEAP right now. I saw one 2 days ago for 3 grand.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by wingman4
x2! you could check out autotrader and find decent priced 4x4... even if it is a silverado :P I will say, those chevy's last a good while.... don't worry, we'll forgive you for driving a chevy on the days you need 4x4. Just tell everyone you didn't want to mess up your sweet lookin F150 by driving out in all that mess.

chevy's are for the queers and homosexuals

Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
hahaha i could NEVER get a chevy. but a 97-03 F150 isn't out of the question.

Never shoulda sold the pwoerstroke to my pops!

i'll look into it guys, thanks for the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting 2WD to 4WD- what would it take?