New Jersey historic plates?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Jersey historic plates?

Wasn't sure where to post this, and the regional section looked pretty dead, so I'll put it here and see what happens.
My 84' F150 will be 25 years old at the turn of 09', so it'll qualify for Historic Plates in NJ as per its age... but I'm not sure about what else it needs to meet or what has to be done to get those Historic Tags. I mainly just want/need them so I don't have to take it through inspection anymore since Historic registered vehicles are exempt from inspection.

Does anybody in NJ have Historic plates and can fill me in on what has to be done and if there are any restrictions that go along with it? I understand that Classic registered vehicles have a mileage per year limit, but I'm not sure about Historic.

Thanks, could really use some help on the issue

Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/S...clesPlates.htm

YOu are severely restricted on the amount of miles you can put on a QQ plate.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by WaWaTuSi
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/S...clesPlates.htm

YOu are severely restricted on the amount of miles you can put on a QQ plate.
Thanks . You wouldn't happen to know how many miles or if there are any other restrictions? Sometimes when driving places for work I pass a house with a MONSTER of a Chevy sitting on at least 40's and some insane amount of lift, with QQ plates... which got me thinking that maybe I can get them for my truck next year (09'). I'll probably have to just call and get an application for them and see if that has all the restrictions and other things that need to be met. Or I could just pray that I pass inspection when it comes time in May...

Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by fmf300ex
Thanks . You wouldn't happen to know how many miles or if there are any other restrictions? Sometimes when driving places for work I pass a house with a MONSTER of a Chevy sitting on at least 40's and some insane amount of lift, with QQ plates... which got me thinking that maybe I can get them for my truck next year (09'). I'll probably have to just call and get an application for them and see if that has all the restrictions and other things that need to be met. Or I could just pray that I pass inspection when it comes time in May...

It should be somewhere on that website.... but its something like 3000 miles max....

Old 12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah I found on there that for Collector cars the mileage limit is 3000 for year or something like that, but can't find anything else really about the Historic plates

Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You legally may only drive a vehicle with QQ's to and from shows and (if this passed legislature this year) one day a week for pleasure purposes, and there is a 3000 mile annual limit. It is definitely not legal to put QQ's on a daily driver or haul or tow anything.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You legally may only drive a vehicle with QQ's to and from shows and (if this passed legislature this year) one day a week for pleasure purposes, and there is a 3000 mile annual limit. It is definitely not legal to put QQ's on a daily driver or haul or tow anything.
Ahh ok. Thanks a lot. Looks like I'll be crossing my fingers for inspection then. Last time I threw on a set of 31" tires to lower the truck a little for inspection, but I don't have access to them anymore to do that again. And now I have true duals with cats but no mufflers, so I'm not sure how thats gonna go... but passed last time with a single in dual out set up, with one cat on the main pipe, so might actually be better now with a cat on each bank of cylinders. I know I'll pass tilt test if it comes to that, but really don't feel like going through the extra BS haha

Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
How can they tell how many miles you put on the truck?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I don't know - probably the same way they can tell you are driving it to or from a show. Push the envelope and you will eventually get caught.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I don't know - probably the same way they can tell you are driving it to or from a show. Push the envelope and you will eventually get caught.
Yah, it's the same in NY.. 3k is the limit and only for educational/show purposes only.

I think they would know if you were coming back from a show by having paperwork that you entered a show. IF not, then I would worry...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yah, it's the same in NY.. 3k is the limit and only for educational/show purposes only.

I think they would know if you were coming back from a show by having paperwork that you entered a show. IF not, then I would worry...
Might they check the odometer very year---like a car title in Ohio must have odometer readings---maybe they check the odomter readings...don't really know---just a guess.

TSC

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Hey dudes... First, quick introduction, then my question...

This is my first post. My name's Jesse, I'm 30 yrs old and from NJ. I am a longtime Ford owner, having recently just sold my 2005 F250, which had a 6" suspension lift and 37" tires. I loved that thing, but the gas mileage was kicking my azz. I've been driving a small SUV since then and I really missed having a big truck, so I talked the woman into letting me buy an old F150 as a new toy. So with that said, I'm sorry if I'm dredging up an old thread that's been redone in other places...

THE QUESTION: I just bought a 1977 F150 that is being delivered to me as we speak. The truck has a lift on it with 35" tires. I plan on using it sparingly, taking it to some car shows, and cruising once in a while for pleasure. It is NOT my daily driver. My question is this: Since NJ requires vehicles to appear "stock" to get QQ plates, will I be able to apply successfully for "Historic" QQ plates? Has anyone here done this with a noticable and sizable lift on their rig? The DMV requires multiple angle pictures of your vehicle when buying QQ plates and I'm worried I'll be rejected...

Here's a picture of my new (to me) truck... Any feedback/suggestions/experiences?:

Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have your answers, but congrats, that is one cleans sled.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Have somebody photoshop it a little lower,and you're set.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:23 PM
I have a friend who is a photoshop master... I might ask him to help with that. I'm just worried that they'll notice it's photoshopped or something. Can you just print pictures out on a piece of paper or do you need actual photographs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Jersey historic plates?