DTC P0351- P0358 Coil failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTC P0351- P0358 Coil failure

Hi! My name is Chris. Like your forum and been reading it since I bought my truck last December. Very informitive. I do all my own work because I own my own shop. My truck is a 04 f150 supercrew with Roush supercharger, electric fans, 4.56 gears, leveling kit, 325/65/r18 tires just to name a few mods. I live in west valley ny. I am looking for some info on a problem that I am having, maybe someone has the same problem and appreciate any info. I put the Roush charger on this truck late last summer and did all the mods. We then drove the truck to Roush for a tou of there facility. Very impressive! On the way back home the truck seems to have a miss coming up one of the hills and throws an engine light. We were about 50 miles away from home and it seem fine so i drove it, not missing anymore. Got home plugged my otc genesys into the truck and found code P0351 Ignition coil a circuit malfunction. Looked on my shop alldata computer and it reccommended pulling the crank position sensor connector off and packing it with dielectric grease. Did that and also packed the connector for the coil pack A cylinder 1. Cleared light and no problems. 2 Months later stepped on brakes hard to miss some birds on the road and the engine light came on. Got back to the shop and plug in A,B,C,G,H coil secondary primary malfunction. Thinking water in tank, doesn't make sense because no misfire code. Did not stumble or feel like a misfire this time. Added drygas to tank with some fuel injection cleaner and reset the light. Both times it has been sunny 60-70 degrees. All good for about another month and now anytime I get on it and let off immediatley it starts to shudder and shake under constant load, no engine light, thought tranny, but under constant load while shuddering I turn Overdrive off and is still there, and even into second still there. 80% off the time no problems. Yesterday 28 degrees out roads wet, shuddering under load at various points with no light, let off gas and the engine light came on. Back to the shop, all 8 coils secondary, primary circuit malfunction. 26,000 miles on truck, 5,000 miles on supercharger setup with the roush revised plugs for this setup. Can't believe it would be crank position sensor, no code. All eight coils? Runs fine at idle, 80 percent of time no problem. The description i get from alldata is after the coil fires to the plug it sends a voltage spike to the computer to the ignition diagnostic monitor incorporated inside the pcm. Any help or info on this is greatly appreciated. I was hoping some one had encountered this problem and figured it out. By the way it is a 5.4. Thanks again and sorry for the long post.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. Any info greatly appreciated!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CLIGNAT
I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. Any info greatly appreciated!!!
The first post is to long, I'm not reading that one

Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
you'll probably have to drive it hard until it decides to throw a cel. for some reason fords dont always throw a misfire code right away.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
The first post is to long, I'm not reading that one
yea thats kinda how i felt so i just skimmed through it.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
It doesn't stumble on heavy acceleration, only cruising and moderate acceleration, wide open can't feel it.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM
sorry for the long post. Long story made short, primary/secondary circuit malfunction on all 8 cylinders. There is no way I have a misfire on all 8 cylinders. Maybe 1 or 2?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM
you said the roads were wet and it was shuddering alot so it may be moisture getting into your cop's or the boots. did you use dielectric grease in the cop boots when you did the plugs for the supercharger?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes I did. Wouldn't it throw a misfire code? P0301-P0308? I have an overview on how the system works, but it is possible i am missing something.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM
has any one heard of pcm malfunction for this problem at low mileage? There is eight wires that go to the computer to be grounded to fire each coil. Just cant believe all eight wires are damaged!!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by CLIGNAT
Yes I did. Wouldn't it throw a misfire code? P0301-P0308? I have an overview on how the system works, but it is possible i am missing something.
not all the time. its like i said before fords dont always throw a misfire code for some reason. you have to drive it hard to get it to throw a hard code. but it could be a tranny shudder. does it sound like the engine is misfiring when it does it? has the tranny ever been serviced? theres quite a bit that it could be with the supercharger.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
The tranny has not been serviced yet, been meaning to do it coming up to 30,000 miles. Does it in overdrive, holding pedal steady, click overdrive off button still there. Still there even in 2nd.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds to me like you have one or more bad coils. The water kills them and what your describing has happened to both my trucks. A little water gets in there and they are toast. Happened on my van on #4 and my truck on #8. For some reason its always the hard ones. Youll get a CEL soon if you dont already have a code stored but no light.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Put the truck in second gear one day coming down a steep hill to ease the load on the brakes because of stop sign at the end of the road. When I stopped it was the only time I had ever heard the truck misfire at idle, did it for about 20 seconds, almost stalled, recovered with no engine light.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
jethat, all eight coils, had eight codes stored in computer, not over time but the light come on and I checked within 5 miles of coming on and had p0301-p0308. Will one coil affect them all? I can believe one has gone bad, all eight?

Quick Reply: DTC P0351- P0358 Coil failure