2006 4.6 rough,low idle and stalling

Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 4.6 rough,low idle and stalling

Hello i have a 2006 f150 4.6 with 105,000 miles. The other day my son left the lights on and it drained my battery to nothing while we were at the deer camp. Well i took the batt. off another truck and started it and then swapped back. Let it run for half an hour and it ran ok. When we began our journey home it started idling low and a little rough. It then died a couple times at stop lights here and there. I stopped at nap and c/o fuel filter air filter and ran fuel injector cleaner through tank and filled up with 93 octane. Well it still is having same issues. After many searches on this forum i think it may be the iac or pcm needs to relearn idling process. I was told to disconnect batt. for 20 minutes and then drive at highway speeds for a little while then it should relearn but still same thing. Now the dealer is telling me it has a potentiometer instead of an iac? Is this correct? Well i am going to install a new iac or potentiometer whichever it is and i need to clean the throttle body correct.? along with maf sensor? What is the best process for this? And is there anything else i may do beforw i start changing parts or go to dealer and get screwed. Any help is very appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Well i cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor but truck still idles rough but have noticed a sharper response which is good. But do you guys have any ideas? I have heard the 06 f150 does not have an iac by one dealer i called and another says that it is a potentiometer and another says it is part of the throttle body and the whole tb has to be replaced. i would like to know some accurate info before i go to a dealer.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by ruger74
Well i cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor but truck still idles rough but have noticed a sharper response which is good. But do you guys have any ideas? I have heard the 06 f150 does not have an iac by one dealer i called and another says that it is a potentiometer and another says it is part of the throttle body and the whole tb has to be replaced. i would like to know some accurate info before i go to a dealer.
there is no iac. its all built into the throttle body. is there certain times when it idles rough? any cel or codes? and does the computer have the latest programs?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Ruger74,
You need to reset the ECM! You accomplish this by disconnecting the positive and negative battery cables an touching them together. After that replace and start vehicle. set idle by letting it idle for a few minutes, then drive the truck for a short distance during stop and go sequences. After that drive for a distance at a constant speed. Hope this solves your problem. Hit me back if this doesn't cut it for you. I have a Ford Master tech who can help you hopefully.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
No cel or codes. In the morning it will idle high when cold like normal but when it warms up the idle stays around 200-400 and when driving when i come to a stop it will idle low and sometimes stall. But it is constant no intermiting here. I have disconnected the pos terminal but have not done both and touched them together. first ive heard of that but will give it a shot. I have no idea if it has the latest programs just what came from factory. Thanks guys ill give that a shot.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and have it "reflashed" with the latest software. I think when ran the battery low and swapped batterys you likely caused a programing error. Just my guess but I think its worth trying.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Have you ever replaced your spark plugs?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hello i have a 2006 f150 4.6 with 105,000 miles. The other day my son left the lights on and it drained my battery to nothing while we were at the deer camp. Well i took the batt. off another truck and started it and then swapped back. Let it run for half an hour and it ran ok. When we began our journey home it started idling low and a little rough. It then died a couple times at stop lights here and there. I stopped at nap and c/o fuel filter air filter and ran fuel injector cleaner through tank and filled up with 93 octane. Well it still is having same issues. After many searches on this forum i think it may be the iac or pcm needs to relearn idling process. I was told to disconnect batt. for 20 minutes and then drive at highway speeds for a little while then it should relearn but still same thing. Now the dealer is telling me it has a potentiometer instead of an iac? Is this correct? Well i am going to install a new iac or potentiometer whichever it is and i need to clean the throttle body correct.? along with maf sensor? What is the best process for this? And is there anything else i may do beforw i start changing parts or go to dealer and get screwed. Any help is very appreciated.
Mine did the same thing. I have 04 5.4 engine. 42K miles. I replaced the throttle body today. No flashing of computer was necessary. I drove it home today in stop and go traffic with no stalling or rough idle. Repair shop said if it acts up again they will flash the computer. Shop gave me a 24 month/ 25k warranty on the throttle body.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
No i have not changed spark plugs yet. Mrrich what was the cost of the repair if u dont mind? Im going to take it in tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I really dont think its the throttle body(i may be wrong) reason being it was running perfect before the battery drained down to nothing and this happened right after. i think it may be in the programming. but we weill see tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM
No i have not changed spark plugs yet. Mrrich what was the cost of the repair if u dont mind? Im going to take it in tomorrow morning and see what happens.
parts and labor, sales tax. 501.00 and 100 for diagnostics for a Total of 601.00

Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Wel, just an update for you guys. I took it to the dealer and they reflashed the pcm or whatever and it is back to normal. Total cost was 78 bucks. WOW what a deal. I appreciate all you guys that helped me. This is thr right place for ford trucks 100% great and sharp members.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Just went throught this EXACT problem with my 98' 4.2 engine with 300K kms. I did the plugs and wires, cleaned the TB and MAF.... and changed the IAC.... turned out to be a vacuum leak near the PCV hose at the rear of the engine. Couldnt "hear" it, gave no codes.... was a royal pain! Since it has been fixed... idles smmoooottthh.
Dont know if this might help... but if it does... great

glad its fixed..... put this up for future guys to help them possibly

Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pump9
Just went throught this EXACT problem with my 98' 4.2 engine with 300K kms. I did the plugs and wires, cleaned the TB and MAF.... and changed the IAC.... turned out to be a vacuum leak near the PCV hose at the rear of the engine. Couldnt "hear" it, gave no codes.... was a royal pain! Since it has been fixed... idles smmoooottthh.
Dont know if this might help... but if it does... great

glad its fixed..... put this up for future guys to help them possibly
Different animal entirely. The OP has an 06 they are more sensitive about the software and shoulnt be old enough for the common vacuum leaks that happen on older trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 4.6 rough,low idle and stalling