Global- Automotive COP E-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Global- Automotive COP E-Bay

I have been told on here that alot of you are using the coil packs from global automotive for replacement of stock COP on ur 5.4 f150.I need to do a tune up and want to go with a good replacement part. Just wanted to get some input from anyone that has went with this brand and how they rate this product. Thank you for ur replies

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by champ7
I have been told on here that alot of you are using the coil packs from global automotive for replacement of stock COP on ur 5.4 f150.I need to do a tune up and want to go with a good replacement part. Just wanted to get some input from anyone that has went with this brand and how they rate this product. Thank you for ur replies

You don't have coil packs - Coil packs are totally different, for one, they use plug wires. You don't have any of those.. You have already been told this once in your other thread, or did you miss that?

You have a COP system. = Coil Over Plug.

Just use the search bar if you don't believe what others are telling you. Global Coils are the best I've used.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You don't have coil packs - Coil packs are totally different, for one, they use plug wires. You don't have any of those.. You have already been told this once in your other thread, or did you miss that?

You have a COP system. = Coil Over Plug.

Just use the search bar if you don't believe what others are telling you. Global Coils are the best I've used.
I don't know why I want to call them coil packs I know there Coil over plug my mistake .but thanks for ur reply on this brand .one more ? do you know what happen with the Tech article on spark plug change on 5.4 .Don't seem to be working I get some error when I click on this link. Thanks for ur help

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I purchased a set about a year ago and so far no problems.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by champ7
I don't know why I want to call them coil packs I know there Coil over plug my mistake .but thanks for ur reply on this brand .one more ? do you know what happen with the Tech article on spark plug change on 5.4 .Don't seem to be working I get some error when I click on this link. Thanks for ur help
That's alright, easy mistake. Tech Article ? Oh Matts ? Seems the Tech articles are still on the fritz. Here it is -

Modified URL - http://mattstruck.com/sparkplugs/sparkplugs.html

Bad URL - https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...parkplugs.html

Yea , the tech articals - You have to cut this web site out of the URL completely if you want to get to one of those, like I did above.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-03-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks jbrew for ur help going to cancel my dealership service appointment and order these COIL OVER PLUGS and tackle this job .Local advance auto gave me a price of 2.99 per plug motorcraft plantums.Thanks also jean for ur feedback on COP from global. Happy holidays Thanks again steve

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just installed a set of new MC dbl Plats and a set of Global COP's in my 1998
F150 this past weekend. 7 out of 8 are working great. I contacted Global and they will send me a new one when I send the bad one back.
As soon as I completed the job, the coil on the #3 cylinder had a misfire and kicked on my CEL. I checked everything out on that coil and it was installed right and the connector was tight, just a bad coil from the box. I pulled the coil, put the old #3 back on, cleared the CEL and the truck runs great. I'm sending the bad coil out tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how long it takes to get here.
Kevin from Global did email me back within 24 hrs to let me know what to do for the exchange. That was pretty quick, especially on a weekend.
Pulling the coils and plugs is time consuming and you need patience. I did mine without pulling the fuel rails. Someone else on here is changing there's over soon as well. I wrote up a how to on this plug and coil change. If you want, I can locate it and copy / paste to this thread you started. Let me know. Jbrew probably has one in is arsenal as well, probably with pic's.

Good Luck,
TJKinCNY

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
I just installed a set of new MC dbl Plats and a set of Global COP's in my 1998
F150 this past weekend. 7 out of 8 are working great. I contacted Global and they will send me a new one when I send the bad one back.
As soon as I completed the job, the coil on the #3 cylinder had a misfire and kicked on my CEL. I checked everything out on that coil and it was installed right and the connector was tight, just a bad coil from the box. I pulled the coil, put the old #3 back on, cleared the CEL and the truck runs great. I'm sending the bad coil out tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how long it takes to get here.
Kevin from Global did email me back within 24 hrs to let me know what to do for the exchange. That was pretty quick, especially on a weekend.
Pulling the coils and plugs is time consuming and you need patience. I did mine without pulling the fuel rails. Someone else on here is changing there's over soon as well. I wrote up a how to on this plug and coil change. If you want, I can locate it and copy / paste to this thread you started. Let me know. Jbrew probably has one in is arsenal as well, probably with pic's.

Good Luck,
TJKinCNY
champ7 pull the fuel rails lol. i know its possible to do it without pulling them. but it makes it so much easier with them out of the way. they dont need to come off completely just un bolt them pop them off the injectors so you can move them out of the way. takes 10 mins at most and makes it a whole lot easier.

BTW i have global COPS and they have been on for probably 7 or 8K now and now problems. also have MC platinums. also put in rebuilt injectors but thats besides the point. truck runs well and you save a boat load going with Globals and doing it yourself. good luck man. just have some PATIENCE and dont rush. things will go much smoother for you.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with scottbigred, that the job is much easier with the fuel rails off,
no doubt. A year a go I made the big mistake of not putting in Motor Craft plugs, this is why I had to do the job over, but this time I used MC Plugs and while I was doing the plugs anyway, I knew I needed to replace the COP's.
6 of my COP's were originals with 142,000 miles on them. Anyway when I did it about a year ago, I did pull the fuel rails and everything was easier to get to for sure. I didn't want to this time because it takes a bit of work to do it, plus I didn't want to mess with the injector o-rings etc etc. That was my 1st time pulling COP's and changing plugs on my 5.4L V8, so it probably took me longer to pull the fuel rail and put it back on than it would a more experienced guy like scottbigred and alot of other members on this site.

Good luck which ever way you go.

TJKinCNY

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 12-04-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: info
Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I ordered the COP yesterday from global $81.95 ship to my door. Got my MC Plug from Advanced Auto today for $2.99 a piece for AGSF22WM. Now as soon as I get parts from global I be ready to go.Question about the fuel rail after you take the 2 screws out that hold it to the intake do you just pull up on the rail to remove from injectors or is it more to it,and how much gas will I be spilling out when I do this.I got the tech article from Jbrew on changing plugs but if you want you can post urs , never can know to much,makes my job alot more easier to do. Yea 1 other Thing are the heads on my 1999 5.4 aluminum? Thanks for ur help Steve

Last edited by champ7; 12-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM

First thing I do is off the front tires and lower her down on a couple Micro-lamb blocks. - Don't worry about it unless you have a 4x4.

Tires off/ lowerd down takes 5 minutes with air tools. Makes for a quicker joib and it also MUCH easier reachin the rear plugs.

Throw a few rags on top of your Aluminum heads. Surround the injectors and Coils with them before pulling the rail. . Keep your old coils dry and fuel free , you might need them someday..

Good Luck.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Yes, they are aluminum heads. The factory torque spec on the plugs is 15 ft/lb but a site that specializes in repairing heads that have had the plugs blow out recommends 28 ft/lb.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by glc
Yes, they are aluminum heads. The factory torque spec on the plugs is 15 ft/lb but a site that specializes in repairing heads that have had the plugs blow out recommends 28 ft/lb.
Awesome site ! Thanks again for showing me the way there . Ford should hire those guys.

I don't use a Torque wrench normally on plugs; - In fact, I haven't seen anyone use one for that before. . In the last few years when screwing around with the plugs. I torqued the plugs @16' lbs (The high side of Spec per manual). Within 10, 000 miles 3 & 4 loosened. WTF ?

In the past I would give the[plugs about a 1/2 - 3/4 turn once snug, and leave it at that. Guessing , I was most likely up around 30' lbs. - BUT , I never had a problem with it until I started to change my ways

Old 12-04-2008, 04:17 PM
jbrew read one of ur post awhile back on front wheel removal thats a really good idea but have no idea what lamb blocks are so would 4x4 blocks be ok to set on and just keep some of weight on floor jack ,thanks glc for torque specs and answer to my question . Thanks Steve

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I use the ARM style torque wrench......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Global- Automotive COP E-Bay