want to run straight pipe

Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to run straight pipe

i have been wanting a loud truck for a long time, and now i am thinking about just running straight pipes instead of buying an exhaust system i can't afford but first have a few questions first...

will this affect my back pressure and engine preformance in a negitive way???

i was planing on removing the stock muffler and pipes after axle and put a pipe run out the side infront of rear right tire (but not visible, dumped no tip), does this sound like it could work????

will this in any way damage the engine???? ( i have heard that exhaust is used as a sort of heat sink to draw heat away from motor)

how will this sound????

thanks

ps. 2000 5.4l v8 i will be keeping stock cats

Old 11-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by KDracing
i have been wanting a loud truck for a long time, and now i am thinking about just running straight pipes instead of buying an exhaust system i can't afford but first have a few questions first...

will this affect my back pressure and engine preformance in a negitive way???

i was planing on removing the stock muffler and pipes after axle and put a pipe run out the side infront of rear right tire (but not visible, dumped no tip), does this sound like it could work????

will this in any way damage the engine???? ( i have heard that exhaust is used as a sort of heat sink to draw heat away from motor)

how will this sound????

thanks

ps. 2000 5.4l v8 i will be keeping stock cats
you will have a loud truck but your more than likely to lose bottom end torque. it'll work just fine. and as long as you have cats on it, it wont hurt anything. and i like the way the 5.4's sound without a muffler. i've never heard one in person with single exhaust without a muffler but with a y pipe and dual exhaust sounds good to me. it'll sound a little bit different with the setup you want but i think it'll sound pretty good.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
It will sound pretty good and nice and deep. I just put a cutout on mine and at first I seemed to notice a ****ty bottom end but a day or two later I can't, probably just getting used to it. I was worried it would be way to loud but it's perfect.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I've run straight pipes for years and yes I think you lose some bottom end. Running down the road empty, I never notice it. Hooked to a trailer, or a heavy load in the bed, I do. Is it enough to bother me, nope. The sound is just what I like. Deep at idle and really screams when you get into it. IMO the systems that people pay tons of money for are no better than what I have. If I towed all the time, or carried a bed full of heavy stuff a lot, I probably would have left the truck stock. Or, I would change the gearing. You don't lose back pressure. The 4 cats keep that in check. Good luck with your decision.
Rich

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will only notice a small performance loss during towing, but straight pipe is the healthiest thing for your economy. No restriction = best flow. On the 2v 5.4L it will sound very damn good, have a listen to one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G7KmCZaEAI

Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
This is a straight pipe kit w/ glass packs.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
I have true dual straight pipes with the stock cats in place. I absolutely love the sound! As far as losing bottom end performance, don't go too large in exhaust pipe diameter (keeps exhaust gas velocities higher). I didn't notice a difference while daily driving or towing.

Again, the 5.4L 2V sounds very healthy with straight pipes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: want to run straight pipe