2004 - 2008 F-150

Hard starting on 06 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard starting on 06 5.4

Every once in a while, when I go to start the truck, it will turn over and just will not run when it usually does. typically, I can turn the key and about...a second and a half it will run no problem...when this happens, I have to try to start it about 2-3 times before it will run. I have no aftermarket air intake or exhaust. the spark plugs are the standard ones...its a 2006 with just under 20k. anyone have this problem? thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I too have had some similar troubles with my '06 5.4L. First thing in the morning she'll usually take right off. If I go in a store for a few minutes and come back out, she'll take off again. If I leave it for maybe 1-2 hours, she is hard to get started. But if it's 4 hours or so, she's good again.

It's enough to make a priest drink!!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
yea, at first I thought it maby was bad gas or something...so I started adding octane booster and it didnt do it for a long time...then it did it again recently...Im not too sure what the deal is. Im starting to think that maby its something to do with when you shut your engine off, what is the next piuston number that is suposted to fire next..maby its a little off and causing that little extra amout of turn over time.....or I was also thinking that baby its the air inlet temp. sensor not being very accurate (telling the ecm that the air is too cold or hot and leaning or making the fuel/air mixture rich.) Its one of those problems that you know that when you take it to a shop or the dealer, it will never do it again for them.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I have the same problem. Had it sinse it was new. I believe it's the injectors leaking down. It acts as though it's flooded. Problem is getting it to do it for the dealership. Only 8000 miles left of the warranty so hopefully I can get it addressed soon. It's an 06 SCab built in Sept of 05.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had two injectors replaced for the same problem. It seemed to help a little.
The second time in the shop for the hard start problem, the tech replaced the fuel pump.
He claimed that the older ones have a check valve leak down problem, and it made a huge difference. The worst was when it was warm and sitting after 45-90 minutes. No problems now.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Mine did this yesterday....
Keep us informed.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Didn't Ford extend everyone's warranties for 100,000 due to an injector problem? I think they extended the 05 and 06's. My 06 does it too. I have exhaust, programmer, and K&N filter. It really makes you feel stupid when you are trying to start your newer truck in a crowded parking lot, and the thing won't start on the first crank.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
My 05' does this on occas.. I recently was at the local service department. Told them I run a can of Techron thru the gas tank to help with keeping the injectors clean(hopefully to prevent malfct down the road). He told me not to do this as the fuel pumps are in the tanks which can get damaged by the additive. Does this sound right or is he FOS? It ticks me off as I try to do some preventative things to this truck and I get told to just leave it alone(in other words, just let it f-up so we can fix it). Same goes for changing the plugs early, this service department and many others say to wait until 100k. I'm beginning to wonder if this is preferred so they can charge me the extra 75 bucks per plug broken to remove the fragments. Not meaning to hijack the thread, just wanted to add this with the other info on the injectors.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Mine did this yesterday....
Keep us informed.
2005 5.4
Same here mine done it yesterday. It does it every few months and is annoying!! Sitting there in a parking lot in a nice truck and wont start. You have to try it like 2-3 times then it will finally start.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
mine too does this from time to time but it seems to be doing it more frequently lately...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does the same thing that it sounds like you are describing; 2006 5.4.
Seems pretty intermittent, has done it probably 10 or so times since Ive bought it a year and a half ago. Never paid attention enough when it happens to notice if there are any specifit circumstances when it happens though.
Had a friend with me once when it happened and he said his fathers 06 5.4 does the same thing every once in awhile.

It will usually start on the 2nd or 3rd crank.
Ive never tried to take it to Ford for it just because you never know when it will happen. Ive had it happen twice it two days, but sometimes it will go two months without doing it...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I've found on my truck that if I turn off the key, wait 10 seconds or so, hit the gas pedal a couple times, pray to God in heaven, then restart, it fires right back up when this happens. Found that if I immediately try to turn it over again after it doesn't start, it takes a couple of runs of the starter to get to work. Not a theory(maybe just divine intervention), just what I've found to work. I haven't noticed any clicking noises when it happens nor any smoke once it fires up.

Darn, that half priced 08' hemi 4x4 is starting to look really nice. Too bad though it has that MDS crap on it.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
SO HOW DID YOU GUYS ACTUALLY GET IT TO THE POINT OF MAKING THE DEALERSHIP REPLACE CERTAIN INJECTORS AND EVEN A FUEL PUMP? MABY MY DEALERSHIP JUST SUX THAT BAD...WHEN i TAKE IT THERE, OF COARSE IT WILL NOT DO IT FOR THEM, AND THEY JUST HOOK IT UP ON THERE READER AND SHOWS NO PROBLEMS...THEY JUST SAY BRING IT BACK IF IT DOES IT AGAIN...i SEE A CIRCLE STARTING TO FORM IN THE ROAD FROM MY HOUSE TO THE DEALERSHIP.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
My 06 would do this when I took short trip to the store and shut it off before the engine reached operating temp. When I returned 5-10 minutes later, the truck would not start. The engine would fire briefly like it was going to start but as soon as you released the key it would die. I found that it would usually start if I depressed the gas pedal while cranking the motor. When I took in to the dealer for warranty work, the service writer said there was a TSB that covered hard starting. They re-flashed the computer and I have not had the problem since.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I started this post a while back and I haven't really had toooo many times where its came up again...I have been running some lucas fuel system cleaner through maby every third or fourth tank. Now up here in Maine, the weather is just now FINALLY getting warmer (above 50) and It did it to me twice just today. uggg this is a pain. Any new info from anybody about this?

Quick Reply: Hard starting on 06 5.4