2004 - 2008 F-150

Is Royal Purple ATF good for our transmissions or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Royal Purple ATF good for our transmissions or not?

I was shopping around to get a cost to have my tranny flushed with this RP ATF I just got today and the trans shop told me they don't recommend putting anything other than Mercon V SP trans fluid in Torque Shift transmissions. He said use of any other fluid will cause damage

When I spoke with Kyle Neil at RP he said the their ATF is fully compatible with Mercon V.

What's the deal with is? This was an independent shop and I was suppling my fluid so he has nothing to gain by telling me that.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
considering Mercon V is a different spec/fluid than ATF...and I've read warnings from Ford specifically about not putting ATF in this transmission (owners manual)...I would have to agree with the mechanic

read the back of the ATF bottle. does it specifically say it meets the Ford Mercon V specs?

all the oils on the market have a statment like this on them...and most list out the Ford and GM specs they meet. it'll say saying like "Meets or Exceeds the Specifications of Ford 000-a99, Ford 882-28s...etc."

Old 10-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not to hijack but i got quoted 250 for a RP tranny flush and fill is that good?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Funny you bring that up.... I was at a shop last night talking about power adders for my truck... They told me if I ran Royal Purple oil that I would see a gain of about 10 HP... Is this BS or could it be??

I know AIMS Oil and Royal Purple are good but 10 HP from running it??

Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
read the back of the ATF bottle. does it specifically say it meets the Ford Mercon V specs?
It says this on their site. I just spoke with them again (twice about this) They even sent me confirmation that this does meet Mercon V specs. and that it is totally compatible with it too.

I was starting to second guess my decision because of what the guy at that shop had to say. Then when the second shop ask me to confirm it was compatible I started pulling my hair out

So the answer is it's totally compatible with Mercon V. You can use as little or as much as you want to with or without the use of any Mercon V, according to RP will not harm the tranny.

It's at the shop getting flushed as I type this. The labor cost I'm paying is $85.00 that plus the cost of the fluid... so to answer mengela's question 250 sounds about right for the cost of the fluid with the labor.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SP is required for Torqshift transmissions, but you don't have a Torqshift so you'll be alright. Torqshift = 2003-'05 diesel Superduty and all '05+ Superduties.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
SP is required for Torqshift transmissions, but you don't have a Torqshift so you'll be alright. Torqshift = 2003-'05 diesel Superduty and all '05+ Superduties.
lol at that guy who I spoke with at United Transmission. I know I won't be taking my truck there for any tranny work

Thanks Quintin

Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
lol at that guy who I spoke with at United Transmission. I know I won't be taking my truck there for any tranny work

Thanks Quintin
Well now, not so fast, you can't be too hard on those guys with all the different trans fluids Ford uses.

CVT fluid, FNR5 fluid, Mercon V, Mercon LV, Mercon SP, Mercon MP, AW F21 fluid...if you don't know what you're working on, it's easy to get in trouble servicing a transmission nowadays.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
My .02, take it FWIW

I ran RP in my 2000 Firebird with a T-56. I rebuilt the tranny due to busted up parts. I bought my hardware from 6speedsinc at the time.

When i told them I was going to use RP they advised against it. Apparently they did a test and soaked the blocker rings (with the friction material) in RP and in Mobile 1 ATF and after a week the friction material was falling off the ring soaked in RP and it was settling at the bottom of the pan. Something about a detergent it contained.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Well now, not so fast, you can't be too hard on those guys with all the different trans fluids Ford uses.

CVT fluid, FNR5 fluid, Mercon V, Mercon LV, Mercon SP, Mercon MP, AW F21 fluid...if you don't know what you're working on, it's easy to get in trouble servicing a transmission nowadays.
I understand what you are saying, but this was a transmission shop, not a garage. I would like to think they, transmission shops, of all people should know what trans takes what fluid. Heck this guy apparently thought my 150 had a SD trans It didn't even seem like he had ever even heard of Royal Purple. Seriously, I don't think this guy had a clue and he had me second guessing my decision to put this in my truck

Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple ATF good for our transmissions or not?