Nitto TG vs. Cooper Discoverer ST

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto TG vs. Cooper Discoverer ST

My Cooper Discoverer ST's now have 60k miles on them, and are in need of replacement before the snow flies and the plow season begins. Before I pop for a new set I was wondering what folks thought of the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

From what I gather they might be quieter than the Coopers, and they certainly are cheaper in the 275/70 R18 Load range E.

I do a combination of highway and offroad with quite a bit of snowplowing in the winter. I have no complaints about the Coopers other than they are a little loud on the highway compared to stock (not objectionable by any means) and there's nothing wrong with saving a little cash.

Wondering how the Nitto TG's are for ride, snow performance, and towing.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
look into the mastercraft courser c/t, i have had these tires in the past and they get great traction in snow and mud, and i got excellent tire life out of them. everyone will have a different opinion on tires here, so i thought i would throw mine out.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 AM
The Mastercraft Courser C/T is made by Cooper and is basically a twin to the Cooper S/T (not STT). Either one is a good tire for the price...you'll probably find the Mastercraft ones priced a little cheaper depending on your location.

I see you're in WI...is there a Mills Fleet-Farm near you? They've got pretty good prices on Cooper/Dean/Mastercraft at their store in Fargo ND.

No Nitto dealers around my area so I don't know how they are...looks like a decent tire and I've read some favorable reviews on tirerack and assorted forums. It's a slightly milder tread pattern than the Cooper S/T so it should be quieter.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
i dont know how aggressive you want to go, but the Cooper Zeon LTZ's seem to hang with the Terra Grapplers

Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha I'll go ahead and throw in another tire to be off subject.. but I love the look, ride, and performance of the Toyo Open Country A/T's... According to 1010tire.com they are a 3.9/5 overall and if ya compare them to BF A/T's they are 4.1/5... I've got 47k on my Toyo's so far and could easily get 60 if they were properly rotated (even tho prev owner didnt do that)

Here Some ratings... Didn't have them for Coopers or Nitto's
Toyo's / BF's
Dry: 4.4 / 4.5
Wet: 4.1 / 4.0
Snow: 3.9 / 4.2
Handling: 4.0 / 4.2
Comfort: 3.8 / 4.1
Noise: 3.8 / 3.9
Treadwear: 3.5 / 4.1
Rating: 4/5 / 4/5

Last edited by Shanks12; 10-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Got the Nitto TG's on the truck. They ride very smooth, no highway noise at all as far as I can tell. It will be interesting to see how long they last and how they perform compared the Cooper ST's I just replaced.

Ed

Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Update...

Well the Nitto's have 37k miles on them and will need replacement before it snows, which will be shortly based on our weather here lately in Wisconsin. Overall a nice tire, but the treadlife was quite a bit less than the Cooper. Definetly a softer compound combined with less tread depth. Ride is better, but I think the next set will be back to the Cooper S/T's.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Thumbs up tires

Hey Ed I got Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/70 18 they are the sweetest set Ive ever had they have great traction very quiet with a smooth ride and even wear I got over 10,000 miles on mine and they still look new
Originally Posted by 69Ed
My Cooper Discoverer ST's now have 60k miles on them, and are in need of replacement before the snow flies and the plow season begins. Before I pop for a new set I was wondering what folks thought of the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

From what I gather they might be quieter than the Coopers, and they certainly are cheaper in the 275/70 R18 Load range E.

I do a combination of highway and offroad with quite a bit of snowplowing in the winter. I have no complaints about the Coopers other than they are a little loud on the highway compared to stock (not objectionable by any means) and there's nothing wrong with saving a little cash.

Wondering how the Nitto TG's are for ride, snow performance, and towing.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
What do you think of the 10 ply Nitto's now? I'm looking at the 275/70's but was weary of the 10 ply? Can you notice a stiffer ride compared to stock? Thank

Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Heavy1287
What do you think of the 10 ply Nitto's now? I'm looking at the 275/70's but was weary of the 10 ply? Can you notice a stiffer ride compared to stock? Thank
I dont know how many ply the terra grapplers are but mine ride like michelins
I love them they look aggressive. I havent really been off road on them yet but I love them

Old 10-30-2009, 02:15 PM
NTG ride vs. stock

The Nitto's are a bit stiffer than stock, but the ride is still quite nice. Most certainly the handling is better when towing with the 10 ply Nittos...no where near as mushy as stock tires.

The Cooper ST's are definetly a stiffer tire, and you will notice it in the ride, but it is not (IMO) unpleasant or like a full M/T tire. If you are pulling a heavier trailer they are awesome. I think they are a bit better for mud and snow as well compared to the Nitto.

If ride quality is a concern, I'd go with the Nitto's.

Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitto TG vs. Cooper Discoverer ST