Stock Speaker sizes.../Stock Watts...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Speaker sizes.../Stock Watts...?

This is prolly a really stupid question, but what size speakers are stock in my 97 EB expie?

Another question that is not as dumb- Does anyone know what resistance those speakers are...(4 ohm?), and how many watts that stereo puts to each speaker?

Any insight appreciated

T

------------------
'97 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Old 03-20-2001, 01:34 AM
not sure what the impedance is or how much the stock unit pushes, but until i put my component spoeakers in, i was running my MTX amp (45 watts rated, 62 actual) to the stock door speakers crossed over at 120Hz. they actually did pretty well.

------------------
97 F-150XL 4.2V6, 5 spd, 2wdlb, Kenwood cd, MTX 4ch amp, MTX 12"sub, MTX components in doors

Future 16x8 Daytona wheels, 265/75 tires, rhinoliner, perf stuff

Old 03-20-2001, 07:23 AM
You will find 6x8's in Ford's.

Old 07-06-2001, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What about a 2000 Expy?

I have the "Premium" sound system in my 2000 Expy XLT, complete with cassette deck and 6CD changer (in the center console). Is this the same as the "MACH" system?

What speaker size do I have in front and rear? My guess is 5&1/4" in the front, and 6x8 in the back. I'm looking at starting slowly, just by upgrading the stock speaker to 2-way Polks.

Old 07-06-2001, 10:38 AM
Arrow 6x8's

Pretty sure those are 6x8's as well...I have polks too, and they did not sound good with the stock head unit, I don't know why...

To be honest, a "cheaper" speaker will sound much better than your Polks, say an Infinity 6x8 2-way...

If I were to start all over again, I think I would swap out all 4 speaks with 4 of those.

What I have right now is the Polk 6.5's in front, and I used the stock fronts, and put those in the rears (they are actually a decent speak, with a semi-beefy 4" woof, and believe it or not, a 1" soft done tweat!) and am running a Sony ES unit to them, and then an amp with a stealth sub box in the rear factory sub location.

Old 07-07-2001, 01:49 AM

Pretty sure those are 6x8's as well...I have polks too, and they did not sound good with the stock head unit, I don't know why...
Tommy;
I am not an audiophile, so the following is info I've picked up from this board and audio electronics sites. The component speaker "efficiency" is the major issue in whether an amp is REQUIRED.. Go to Crutchfields site @
http://sony.crutchfield.com/S-JHO63T79BTE/shopindx.html

You'll see min-max RMS power ranges for speakers, e.g. 2-50 watts or 20-150 watts. The premium Ford stereo puts out approx 20 watts per channel while the standard unit has approx 6 watts per channel. The 20-150 watt speaker in the example above is relatively INefficient - - it takes 20 watts to get it moving, while the other speaker only takes 2 watts - - it's more efficient (takes less power to produce sound). In general, the better, more expensive speakers are inefficient and require an amp to operate at their peak. I installed the Fosgate FNP-1614F, 6 1/2 in component system. It's RMS power range is 8-50 watts. The premium oem Ford stereo provides enough power (20watts rms) to power the speakers. If I had installed a set with min power reqm't of 20 watts, I wouldn't have enough power. With that said, I have lot's of unused "potential" in my new speakers.

I'm certain I have crudely over-simplified the issue. There's lots of expertise and info available in the speakers/ amps/ subwoofers boards. BTW, The Polk EX2560 component system appears to be very efficient, 2-50 watts rms. They were my first choice. They run approx $200 at Circuit City/ Crutchfields. Hope this helps.....

Quick Reply: Stock Speaker sizes.../Stock Watts...?