Low knocking sound upon cold startup

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low knocking sound upon cold startup

MY F150 has a really odd sound upon startup and for about a minute after when it is cold out in the morning. It is a constant knock that rises and falls accordingly to the RPM of the engine. Does anyone have any clue what this sound could be? It is definitely not a ticking, it sounds close to what a diesel sounds like.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
if its a 5.4 its probably cam phasers. if its just at start up i'd say its a dry start. what brand oil filter are you using?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
if its a 5.4 its probably cam phasers. if its just at start up i'd say its a dry start. what brand oil filter are you using?
and oil grade.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
I agree. If it's the 5.4 it's the cam phasers. There is a TSB on the procedure. If you're still under warranty, take it in and they'll fix it. Mine was doing the same. I only run Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft synthetic blend oil.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Dont the cam phasers usually make a ticking sound? I've got that problem too lol, but im talking about a low knock.

I am using mobil 1 oil 5w20 and the knock does not just go away right after start up, it continues to knock until the engine warms up a bit. It usually knocks for a good minute to two minutes, it knocks until i am at the second light or so out of my neighborhood, so its not like that sound you usually get right after an oil change and start it up for the first time when there is no oil being pumped for a second or so. It only does this in the morning when it is cold out.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by apeiron
Dont the cam phasers usually make a ticking sound? I've got that problem too lol, but im talking about a low knock.

I am using mobil 1 oil 5w20 and the knock does not just go away right after start up, it continues to knock until the engine warms up a bit. It usually knocks for a good minute to two minutes, it knocks until i am at the second light or so out of my neighborhood, so its not like that sound you usually get right after an oil change and start it up for the first time when there is no oil being pumped for a second or so. It only does this in the morning when it is cold out.

You're describing the cam phaser noise exactly. Go to alldatadiy.com and buy a subscription for your truck. It gives you the exact procedure for diagnosing the problem. It definately pays for itself.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by kjohnson1
I agree. If it's the 5.4 it's the cam phasers. There is a TSB on the procedure. If you're still under warranty, take it in and they'll fix it. Mine was doing the same. I only run Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft synthetic blend oil.
What was the fix on your truck and what would it have cost if not under warranty?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
You're describing the cam phaser noise exactly. Go to alldatadiy.com and buy a subscription for your truck. It gives you the exact procedure for diagnosing the problem. It definately pays for itself.
My truck is still under warranty, i guess i'll just take it in then and have them fix it for free. When my warranty runs out i'll think about buying that subscription, looks pretty good, and i've heard other people use it with success as well.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
What was the fix on your truck and what would it have cost if not under warranty?
They replace the cam phasers. I don't know how much it costs out of pocket, but I'd guess $800+. Both valve covers have to come off, and I believe the cams have to be removed.

If you want an idea of what is involved go to http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4
watch episode 17.

Last edited by kjohnson1; 09-29-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added link for camshaft r&r
Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by apeiron
My truck is still under warranty, i guess i'll just take it in then and have them fix it for free. When my warranty runs out i'll think about buying that subscription, looks pretty good, and i've heard other people use it with success as well.

Thanks!
I didn't see where you said what filter. Make sure you have a motorcraft filter in it before you take it in they could deny your warranty claim if it has an off brand filter.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
I didn't see where you said what filter. Make sure you have a motorcraft filter in it before you take it in they could deny your warranty claim if it has an off brand filter.
Good point. If you've ever read the 'Oil Filter Study' you'll know that Motorcraft filters are TOP quality pieces. Essentially they're reboxed Puroilator filters. The best is Mobil1. FRAM is total crap along with all the other store brands.....STP, Bosch...etc....

A couple of months ago I bought a filter cutter tool to verify the 'Oil Filter Study' and the author is correct. I still have the cut up filters to verify my findings.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 AM
I have the 4.2 and it does that and it does sound like a knock. On my truck, it is probably just the lifter sticking a little bit until the oil gets warm and somewhat thinner and loosens it up. I would also next time try a little bit of the Lucas Oil Treatment. It has pretty much cleared up all the noise in my engine, and it also makes it run much smoother.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:08 AM
They replace the cam phasers. I don't know how much it costs out of pocket, but I'd guess $800+. Both valve covers have to come off, and I believe the cams have to be removed.

If you want an idea of what is involved go to http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4
watch episode 17.
Thanks for the excellent reference video....didn't even know what a cam phaser was. They made it look so easy im tempted to go for it... not!

My trucks been quietly ticking at low rpm for quite some time (im over 100,000 miles) and my extended warranty is dead so I guess I don't really need an excuse to have the motor balanced and or blueprinted anymore some time in the near future since the truck is a keeper.

Are there some sort of impending failure signs to look for besides it getting louder? Right now it still tows, hauls and drives strong as new or better.

Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM

I didnt even think of that, i am running a mobil 1, but i will switch it out with a motorcraft when i bring it in for work. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HA HA!! MAN, you guys crack me up sometimes with your (lack of) understanding of warranties and claims!!

That Mobil1 oil filter is the second best oil filter you could be using. Don't remove it for a Motorcraft just for the sake of some guys here scared you into it. The big concern with filters is the anti-drainback valve, which I personally don't know of a modern day filter that doesn't have one anyways...Fram filters excluded. Additionally, the mounting angle of the filter on our trucks is not extreme enough to completely drain the filter anyways, making me highly doubt the claim that the filter would be the culprit anyways...again, Fram excluded. Bottom line, don't swap your current filter for an infierior one. They will not and CAN NOT deny you a claim because you have that or any other non-motorcraft filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low knocking sound upon cold startup