Starting my ford with bad starter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my ford with bad starter???

Is it possible to start my f150 when the starter isnt working?? I basically just want to limp it to a shop without paying a tow bill.. . Is there a way to use a screwdriver on it to turn it over touching contacts??? When I use the key, i just get one click from the solenoid on the firewall..

Thanks
Sean

Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
while holding the key in the start position get a buddy to crawl under the truck and give the stater a good whack with a hammer. works 90% of the time.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you sure the battery isnt dead? same one click deal if the battery is really dead

Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Battery is brand new, I tried cleaning the contacts on the starter and that also didnt work... I posted about the problem a little while ago about this being the 3rd one to go in 5 years!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
have you cleaned the contacts at the battery. that includes the wires and battery terminals. might just need to replace the starter wire.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OneFastGSXR
Battery is brand new, I tried cleaning the contacts on the starter and that also didnt work... I posted about the problem a little while ago about this being the 3rd one to go in 5 years!!!

First of all, change the starter yourself. If you can change your oil, you can change your starter. That way , you can go thru your harness and check the cables out good. Grounds too - Specially the one behind the passenger side tire / top of the frame rail. That one needs to work well. Here's a pic of it -

Also , these trucks are picky as far as starters. Get the factory starter - it's guaranteed for life/ or as long as your trucks breathing. Apic of the factory Bosch Starter -

Last edited by jbrew; 09-25-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: pics
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the pics! Tell me, is it difficult to get to the bolts of the starter??? I have changed out a couple chevys and it wasnt too bad... When I was looking at this starter it seemed like a bit of a pain in the *** to get to it.... How many bolts are there????

Thanks
Sean

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Its not bad if you have some gear wrenches. They make the job a lot easier.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
chevy starter>ford starter....chevy starter you undo 2 bolts and they fall out...ford starter the bottom and middle bolts arent to bad but the top one gets tricky. have a friend tell you where your socket is by looking threw the manifold. i used a long 1/2" socket with 2 3" 3/8's extentions and got to it. my starter is stright from ford 180 bucks... as far as the old one hit it with a hammer get those magnets jumpin in there...also check your wires going to the starter. My stock wires still worked but there was bare coper showing!!! you can arc it at the starter soilnod on the fire wall. or under the truck. make sure the key is foward thoe other wise it will just crank and crank. Good luck

Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just pull your front passenger side tire off and get the top bolt from the top.. You will need a universal and some combo of extensions, but it's a whole lot easier once the tire is off for that top one!

Mitch

Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I am planning on doing it this weekend.. I called the Ford Dealership and and the wiring kit is 150 dolllars!!! The Starter itself is 180... Should I go ahead and replace all the wires??? Or just get a 4G Wire from the battery to the starter???

Thanks

Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
i just got a 4G from autozone 7 bucks. and then my buddy had some smaller speaker wire i think to go to the other postive. id say get the wires from autozone and get the starter from ford..you could always get a reman starter for like 60 bucks but Jbrew said somthing about our trucks being picky about starters so i donno. and make sure when you put the starter back in that NO WIREs are touching the exhuast...it will metal and short turning off your truck...belive me i know! Good luck

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OneFastGSXR
Thanks for the info guys, I am planning on doing it this weekend.. I called the Ford Dealership and and the wiring kit is 150 dolllars!!! The Starter itself is 180... Should I go ahead and replace all the wires??? Or just get a 4G Wire from the battery to the starter???

Thanks
Test the wires once the harness is removed. -

-------------------------------------- #3 is a complete harness. ^^^^

Personally , I would purchase the harness from Ford if I needed one. The factory Bosch starter can be had @ Murray's and Car-quest -AFAIK

The new OEM starter I have was $160 - I also gave them my old for another 10 or 20 bucks off.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-25-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting my ford with bad starter???