dont buy napa water pumps

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont buy napa water pumps

when i did my motor back in january i replaced the water pump with napa. well wednesday i went over my truck because i'm going off to school sunday. i serviced it and greased everything i could and i noticed that there was antifreese leaking from the bottom bearing breather whole. well i was fine with that, its a lifetime warranty pump. so i replaced it. well today i got smelling antifreese and looked under the hood and the top breather whole is leaking. the pumps only a couple days old. and now napa says i have to settle the warranty labor with my napa store, they only pay for the part. they said because i bought the pump 7 months ago instead of 6 they werent going to pay for the labor. so i replaced it again with the new pump from them because the dealers didnt have any on the shelves. at least the dealers back up most of there parts. so right now i'm just pretty mad at them. i'm going with all ford parts now for my truck or at least as much as i can get from them.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Next time, read your warranty.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
My napa water pump has been fine for 3 years. There are defects, they shouldn't and won't pay for your labor. That's the gamble you play. If you want an warranty buy a new truck.

Last edited by Need4racin; 08-29-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM
i'm sorry let me reword it a little bit. the pump was bought 7 months ago ok. and they did pay the labor for the pump i put on wednesday. but the new one i put on today they wouldnt pay the labor. they started making up all kinds of bs that they didnt mention on wednesday. they said stuff about the 6 month deal and i told them that the pump thats on it is a few days old. they just said that the records show that it was bought in january and we just got arguing. and as far as the warranty book goes they dont say anything about the labor. the book just says its got a lifetime factory defect warranty. but the napa autocare center papers say that they will pay the labor. they dont say up to what date or months later though. we've never had warranty problems here until we became a napa autocare center. i'm just mad thats all. i basically posted this for no reason.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Why the worry about the labour? If you have a clutch fan on your truck still then to change out the water pump is like 30 minutes start to finish. If you have switched to electric fans and got rid of the fan shroud, you can swap out the water pump in 15-20 minutes start to finish.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why are you griping about no warranty on labor? i rarely hear or read warranty for labor if they did not do the labor.

in fact, ive never read or heard of napa warranty on labor.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 AM
They paid for labor one time around and it is ridiculous because they didn't do it again!? I have never heard of any parts store paying for labor to have a part replaced. That seems above and beyond.

at least the dealers back up most of there parts
You got a new pump, did you not? Try asking a dealer for free labor...

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Everyone gets a bad part from the box now and then. You unfortunatly got 2.
I have been buying NAPA Parts for 20+ years and have had very few failures.
My local NAPA is the best parts store in the area. (50 mile radius).
I am the family wrench so I work on a few vehicles. There are times I am all greasy or can't get to the store quick enough so they deliver my parts to my house. Last December I installed new rotors and ceramic brakes on my front.
Last week I had a caliper hanging up because the slide pins were bunged up.
The NAPA owner sold me re-man Ford calipers for $45.00 each and sent over a new set of ceramic pads at no charge. The pads and rotors looked fine but he felt better if I put the new pads on and he would do the arguing with the supplier and get his refund.
My point is, if your not happy with the NAPA you are going to, find a new store. As far as reimbursing you for your labor, I have never heard of that one before.
Lastly, I have never had a problem with a NAPA waterpump. It's not fair of you to say they are junk or no good.

You realize you will be paying 2,3 sometimes 4 times as much for FORD OEM parts. There are a few parts that I will only use Ford but the rest come from NAPA. Trust me, even the dealerships will have a bad part from the box now and then. Ask the Ford service tech's on this forum.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Matts Ford,
Did you replace the waterpump yourself? Because you did mention a NAPA Autocare center. If they did the labor, they will honor the lifetime warranty replacement as well as labor for 12 months or 12000 mi. It is part of their nationwide NAPA Autocare peace of mind warranty program of which all engine cooling work/parts are covered.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
Everyone gets a bad part from the box now and then. You unfortunatly got 2.
I have been buying NAPA Parts for 20+ years and have had very few failures.
My local NAPA is the best parts store in the area. (50 mile radius).
I am the family wrench so I work on a few vehicles. There are times I am all greasy or can't get to the store quick enough so they deliver my parts to my house. Last December I installed new rotors and ceramic brakes on my front.
Last week I had a caliper hanging up because the slide pins were bunged up.
The NAPA owner sold me re-man Ford calipers for $45.00 each and sent over a new set of ceramic pads at no charge. The pads and rotors looked fine but he felt better if I put the new pads on and he would do the arguing with the supplier and get his refund.
My point is, if your not happy with the NAPA you are going to, find a new store. As far as reimbursing you for your labor, I have never heard of that one before.
Lastly, I have never had a problem with a NAPA waterpump. It's not fair of you to say they are junk or no good.

You realize you will be paying 2,3 sometimes 4 times as much for FORD OEM parts. There are a few parts that I will only use Ford but the rest come from NAPA. Trust me, even the dealerships will have a bad part from the box now and then. Ask the Ford service tech's on this forum.
I actually switched over to using NAPA parts this last year, and they are SO much better than anywhere else, i.e- the Kragen waterpump that went out again for the 2nd time and now the NAPA one that has been fine, and they are usually cheaper (or at least with my discount the guys at the store give me ).

Old 08-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im swapping from Napa as first call to a pronto as first call only because around here i cant get anyone from napa to order things without me driving in first... god that drives me nuts.

plus pronto is closer. but i still swear by napa, great quality parts.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 PM
The guys at NAPA will order me whatever I need over the phone, have it there either later in the day or first thing in the morning, and I can pay when I pick it up.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
The guys at NAPA will order me whatever I need over the phone, have it there either later in the day or first thing in the morning, and I can pay when I pick it up.

Ditto for me !!
It helps that I do most of the vehicles in the family. About 3-4 years ago, it seemed everyone in the family was having problems. My local NAPA guy said that I get enough parts that I should open an account. I DID !! I was getting good prices then and since I opened the account, I get "account holder" prices.
What's cool, I get a bill once a month. I can run in or have the parts run to my house and not pay a dime until the bill comes in.
My local NAPA owner Jeff is a pretty awesome guy !!!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live by the napa distribution center in Salt Lake. Went in there to get a rebuild kit for a Holley I have. Parts Monkey there are sure stupid. Used to be they had guys who knew what they were doing. Not anymore.. Maybe the franchise's are still good..

Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, A water pump should seep out the weep holes just a tad. Its normal, its how it lubercates and keeps the seals in the water pump in good condition. Sounds to me like you replaced a good waterpump. If I was napa I wouldnt warrenty a replacement of a good waterpump either.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 08-31-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dont buy napa water pumps