throwing code P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit

Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throwing code P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit

i keep getting code P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit replaced all coils with napa coils. figuring that since the same folks that make the oem coils make napas coils. im still getting the same code. please help

Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What are you driving ? A beamer ?

Fill you info in if you want help. The part you skipped in your profile. Model year engine size. Don't just post either - Filling in your info provides us with the Model year and engine size.

Look at the top right corner in this post, That's what needs to post when you do.

Do that and I or someone else will help .

Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM
sorry about that i wasnt thinking about putting model info in there since i dont drive a ford im working on a friends F-150 4X4 with the 5.4l triton in it. ok a little more info than i posted earlier. since last post i have found that coil c is the 3rd coil from front on the passenger side of engine. i swapped this one with the #1 coil and still get the same code and miss. now this leads me to believe it is in the wiring of the truck. so what i need are the test procedures for this. or a link to a downloadable FSM so i can get the info i seek.
again sorry for the lack of information in the first post and the somewhat ignorant question asking for test procedures for the coils on this truck. I am not farmillar with ford engine management since i own a nissan titan and my software for reading the computer in that truck will not work with the fors since it is for the nissan computer only. thank you for your help and patients.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 PM
while its running you can unplug each coil one by one to see which one doesnt make a difference. whichever one doesnt make a difference is the one with the problem.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:28 PM
i know which one has the problem it is coil c (#3 cyc) third one back on pass side. what i really need is an ecu pin out or a link to a downloadable factory service manual so i can test the wiring form the coil to the ecu since i have changed the coil with a known good one.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
well have you checked the injector(s). i have never heard of anything going wrong with the wiring for the coils.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tlmaniac
i know which one has the problem it is coil c (#3 cyc) third one back on pass side. what i really need is an ecu pin out or a link to a downloadable factory service manual so i can test the wiring form the coil to the ecu since i have changed the coil with a known good one.

That's what I was going to say. Definitely not the Coil or Injector. It's in the harness. Look down by the AC accumulator first. Make sure the harness is not contacting the top of the accumulator - If it is , pull it away and give wires a visual for apparent damage. Then tie the harness away from the accumulator. The MAG field creates havoc on our Ignition systems.

You won't get a SM download anywhere. ALLData might provide one , but you need an account. Hang on , Ill thro in the Ford Service DVD for 02 and see if I can find that particular pin - If not, PM me your email and I'll send you the file on that model.

I should have something by 6pm.

BTW - You should have pulled the plug by now right ? Your PS codes are wrapped with that DTC. So a plug check is warranted. Also post the manufacturer's name on the plug - you can check Secondary w/replacement or good spare connected to the coil/determine Primary Failure (true or false) until I find the pin local. The Plug needs to be inspected anyway.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-16-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 PM

PO353

Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
Open coil driver circuit in harness
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil
Damaged PCM
Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR

Tables

2002 5.4L 8 Cylinder Applications

1 A A 26 P0351
3 C B 52 P0353
7 G C 78 P0357
2 B D 104 P0352
6 F E 1 P0356
5 E F 27 P0355
4 D G 53 P0354
8 H H 79 P0358

Harness is coming - Stand By

Last edited by jbrew; 08-16-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
That's what I was going to say. Definitely not the Coil or Injector. It's in the harness. Look down by the AC accumulator first. Make sure the harness is not contacting the top of the accumulator - If it is , pull it away and give wires a visual for apparent damage. Then tie the harness away from the accumulator. The MAG field creates havoc on our Ignition systems.

You won't get a SM download anywhere. ALLData might provide one , but you need an account. Hang on , Ill thro in the Ford Service DVD for 02 and see if I can find that particular pin - If not, PM me your email and I'll send you the file on that model.

I should have something by 6pm.

BTW - You should have pulled the plug by now right ? Your PS codes are wrapped with that DTC. So a plug check is warranted. Also post the manufacturer's name on the plug - you can check Secondary w/replacement or good spare connected to the coil/determine Primary Failure (true or false) until I find the pin local. The Plug needs to be inspected anyway.
i will check the wiring at the location you mentioned in the morning i quit working on it for the night. got a call from a friend i havent seen in 5 years so i went and had a few cold ones with the boys. the spark plugs are new they are autolite 103 gapped to .053 spec is supposed to be .052-.056. the plugs that were in the truck were the bosch platnum 2 and they were covered in white ash deposits. i am going to pull that coil again and see if it is actually providing spark but i highly doubt it just from the way the truck is missing. ok on the coils the start run pin should have 12v correct? and the other pin is where the computer switches the ground to collapse the field in the coil to provide spark correct? i am used to import coils that have 3 terminals one hot one ground and a computer controlled ignitor signal so trouble shooting the ford is going to be a little difficult without the manual to make myself famillar with the engine control system ford uses. thank you verry much for the help so far if you would please tell me if i am on the right track with the way the coils are wired. thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be the first to say it... should have used Motorcraft plugs.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM

I would install the right plugs first . Honeywell/Autolite DOES NOT make a spec plug for that model/stock. If Bosch plugs were installed - Then I would check the compresion in # 3 . Bosch plugs can and have compromised the motor in the past. They fall apart inside the cylinder and guess where the pieces go ...

This is Ford engineered motor, so the safest bet is to use what's speced for the truck.

Pick up a set of Motorcraft (Honeywell) Plugs. When people use the wrong parts and when things go wrong , they wonder why

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by jethat
I'll be the first to say it... should have used Motorcraft plugs.

Yea , well you only beat me by a few seconds

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
i used what the owner brought me man so im have to use the parts given if the guy had given me the bosch i would have recomended against it and if the owner insisted would have put them in his truck anyway it is his truck after all. now let me see if i am reading this chart right the coil driver wire is the 4th over from the bottom right of connector c correct. well im going out to the shop to see what i can find on this thing.

also where does the start run wire go back to does it go back to the ecu or to the cabin harness or a relay somewhere?

Last edited by tlmaniac; 08-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The "IGN RUN/START" wire supplies all of the coils (and a bunch more stuff) via BJB fuse F18 and the PCM Power relay. If that whole circuit were open, you'd have more than your current code.

Steve

Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
well found the culprit it was the CD circut thanks jbrew it was broken right where you were saying on top of the accumulator. in working on this thing im of the belief most of the ford engineers should be shot in the head twice for some of the boneheaded component placement. just a slight rerout of that harness would prevent this prob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: throwing code P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit