THEFT light blinking....FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THEFT light blinking....FIXED

Not sure where to post this correctly...

Problem:
I was adjusting my thermostat switch under my hood. Then while trying to screw it back down the hot wire hit the body. The truck was running while I was doing this...when it sparked the truck shut off. I tried restarting it..it just spun over. The THEFT light on the dash is blinking rapidly!....

I called alot of people, looked at alot of web articles and could only find answers like, try a different key...Disconnect the battery for a few minutes...NONE worked.

What I tried that DIDN'T WORK:A different key.
Disconnecting the battery over night.
Hooking my superchips programmer to it...wouldnt let that..or a OBDII read anything.

What I tried that DID WORK!!!:Disconnect the battery.
Pulled EVERY fuse,relay,etc. the truck had!(something was holding the code in...so I pulled everything that might have had something to do with it)
Let it sit overnight (6pm-10am)

Got in it this morning...reinstalled all the fuses,relays,etc....

Connected the battery..(already had the key in the ignition..not sure if that helped..but thats how I had it)

Turned the key forward...and NO THEFT LIGHT FLASHING!!! Truck fired right up!!

So..if someone else has this problem..try this first before taking it to a dealer to have the comp reset.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
The moral of the story.. never perform work (especially electrical work) when the vehicle is running (unless it's necessary for the operation).

What thermostat switch is located under the hood?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by tcope
The moral of the story.. never perform work (especially electrical work) when the vehicle is running (unless it's necessary for the operation).

What thermostat switch is located under the hood?
aftermarket..for my e.fans.

Truck had to be running..so i could adjust it to the right turn on/off temp.....

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

What kind of electric fans did you install?

Larry

Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Geezzz, I'll never install one of those e-fan kits going around today - specially duals. After 2 years time , they start to go to hell on yuh - the controllers are plagued with problems. adjust this , adjust that - electrolysis issues and all that fricken wiring

No thanks.

I've heard there's still killer Mark VIII kits around - That's an OEM jewel. The rest don't even compare IMO.

Just install it , your done.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-29-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by temp1
What kind of electric fans did you install?

Larry
Got a set from a totaled out 06 chevy. The fans were in great shape. Had to modify a lil...but they look like they came on the truck now!

Used a universal thermostat switch from discount auto. It has worked flawless!....I just wanted the fans to come on a lil sooner...with the 95+ degree days we get...everyday...shoulda just left it be

Quick Reply: THEFT light blinking....FIXED