how to put a starter on 2000 f150 ? please help asap

Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to put a starter on 2000 f150 ? please help asap

i need help on how to remove and put starter on 2000 ford f150 with 4.6 v8 . i replaced the starter relay twice . once it started and began to smell like burning electrical wires . i cut it off and replaced the starter relay again . still wouldnt start again . checked all fuses seem ok . called a shop . since my truck is broke down at home . they told me to turn the key on and touch pliers to starter bolts to try and start . all it did was spark and not start . the guy at the shop said theres a short in my starter and needs to be replaced . please help asap . i need details instructions . i am a novice . the shop wants a 100 dollars to tow and 300 dollars to put starter on . i can not afford this right now . please help if possible . thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is how I changed my starter on my 5.4.. It should basically be the same...

Jack and support the front of the truck and take the front passenger wheel off.

Disconnect the battery cables. (good time to clean and inspect both of them anyway). Give the posts and cable ends a good scrubbing to ruffen up the surfaces.

Remove the wires going to the starter. Get a good mental image of which ones goes where. It should be obvious, but stranger things have happened...

There are 3 bolts holding the starter in place. 2 you can get from the bottom and the last is on top and you get to it the easiest thru the front wheel well (hence, removing the tire).

You will need a varity of extensions and sockets to get them out. I'm sorry, but I don't recall what size socket they took... It's metric, I'm pretty sure..

The old starter should just come out with a little bit of fudging around.

Take it in to the auto parts store and have them test it first... You will also need to give it to them to avoid paying a 'core' charge when / if you get a new one. If you need a new one, compare the old one to it before leaving the store...

Install in the reverse order of removing. You should only start the lower bolts. Keep them loose and then do the top one. Tighten all the bolts and then attach the wires.

Hook up battery and keep your fingers crossed that you didn't leave something loose or wired wrong and see if you see any smoke or smell burning!

Try to start the truck.

Hopefully, all you have to do is put the tire back on and clean up at this point!

Good luck! I've replace starters ever since I was a kid, so I might have not covered every single step, but I learned by just doing it, so there you go!

Mitch

Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
how to put a starter on a 2000 ford f150 ?

i have found only 2 bolts on starter 1 on bottom with black wire attached (i have removed this bolt) and 1 directly above that i cannot get to . wheres the 3rd . how do i remove the 2nd and the 3rd . the guy at the shop said i need a wobble wrench and the bolts are really hard to get to and remove . all i have is stanley sockets and extentions . any more advice is greatly appreciated . thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 06:36 PM
go buy a wobble wrench... pretty sure they are nowhere near $400.00 anyways.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 PM
how to put a starter on a 2000 ford f150 ?

Like I Ask Earlier Where Is The 3rd Bolt And How Do I Get To It ? Pictures Would Br Gratefully Helpful . Thanks Again

Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
not 100% sure on yours but on all of the starters I have seen the bolts are all at the base of the starter... just feel around it maybe?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The one on top is between the starter the the block.. You can't see it. You just have to get a long enough extension to reach in there. It will be the same size socket as all the rest.

I didn't need any wobble sockets, but I might have used a universal on that top one if I recall. I used a 6" extension with the socket on the end to get to the bolt. Then the U and another extension so that I could get enough leverage to turn the ratchet....

At least that's what I think I did??

here is a link to the post I did on this very thing..

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=starter+bolts

Last edited by MitchF150; 06-20-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add url

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to put a starter on 2000 f150 ? please help asap