Tune up on a 2000 F150 5.4L V2 XLT ???

Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up on a 2000 F150 5.4L V2 XLT ???

Ok Gang I am going to try and do a FULL tune up on my truck this weekend.
ok I got the repair book and working on a list of thing that needs to be done.
can someone help me on what I need for the Job?..

My List...
Coils... Tried to get Motorcraft off ebay .. lost out bid at $162.00
is there cheaper ones?..
Plugs .. I got off Ebay Motorcraft Platinums

MOTOR OIL TYPE????...

Trany Oil and Fielter ??

what more do I need and is there anything I need to know ???

Thanks
Morris

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Good thing you lost the bid dude! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ180245557172

*BE SURE* to use plenty of dielectric grease when installing new COP's. If not you will be taking it back apart again.

I use castrol 5w20 for oil. Can't complain about it. But, as usual, there is a sticker under your hood, and, a section in the owners manual, and, the repair manual on what fluids/weight to use. Motorcraft oil is called for our motors, and, is at a lesser cost I think. I am just partial to castrol. Don't forget your motorcraft oil filter. 820 I believe is the number for it.

I use wix tranny filter. If I am not mistaken, the gasket on your tranny pan can be reused. It will say on the pan if you have the reusable one. Use motorcraft ATF. Your manual will point out what to use.

Good Luck, and, Happy wrenching!

Last edited by tech-doc; 06-19-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by tech-doc
Good thing you lost the bid dude! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ180245557172

*BE SURE* to use plenty of dielectric grease when installing new COP's. If not you will be taking it back apart again.

I use castrol 5w20 for oil. Can't complain about it. But, as usual, there is a sticker under your hood, and, a section in the owners manual, and, the repair manual on what fluids/weight to use. Motorcraft oil is called for our motors, and, is at a lesser cost I think. I am just partial to castrol. Don't forget your motorcraft oil filter. 820 I believe is the number for it.

I use wix tranny filter. If I am not mistaken, the gasket on your tranny pan can be reused. It will say on the pan if you have the reusable one. Use motorcraft ATF. Your manual will point out what to use.

Good Luck, and, Happy wrenching!

Hey Thanks for the info and link ... wow .. what do you think of the high miles Oil ??... that ok to use?.

Thanks again
Morris

Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For the COPs (Coil on Plug) try Global Automotive on E-bay. http://stores.ebay.com/GLOBAL-AUTOMOTIVE
I purchased a set for $85.00 + S&H.
Need a Fuel filter, air filter? For the plugs & coils you will need a 7mm socket to remove the hold down bolt on the coil. The spark plugs are 5/8's. I remove the fuel rail on the driver side and push it to the side. An 8mm socket for the two hold down bolts.
For the fuel filter you will need a special fuel line tool.

or

or

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by morris150
Hey Thanks for the info and link ... wow .. what do you think of the high miles Oil ??... that ok to use?.

Thanks again
Morris
I am closing in on the 200K mile mark on my 98. I am a believer in not changing what works. If the regular oil is working, don't change it.

I think the high mileage oils are just another way of the big oil co to gain another dollar from your wallet.

How many miles does your ford have on it now?

One thing I have done. 2X a year I will put in 1 quart of lucas oil treatment. My engine was getting a tad noisy for my liking. When using it, I add 5 quarts of castrol 5w20 and 1 quart lucas oil treatment. I do this on the spring, and, fall oil change. It had always worked good to tone down the noise of my diesel engines, so, I have used it for many times. Some will scorn for the use of it, but, I am happy with it.

*EDIT*- The third tool that JMC posted is the best of the crop. IMHO Fuel filters should be replaced every 15k miles as well.

Last edited by tech-doc; 06-19-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by tech-doc
*EDIT*- The third tool that JMC posted is the best of the crop. IMHO Fuel filters should be replaced every 15k miles as well.
That is the one that is in my tool box. I have an oil leak at the head gaskets so I use the cheapest synthetic I can find that meets current specs. I change oil/filter every 7500km (4650 miles). I add a litre every week or two just to keep up with the leak......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
JMC

I just remembered this; Ford stopped making Mercon ATF so they indicate using Mercon V ATF where simple Mercon was specified.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
For the COPs (Coil on Plug) try Global Automotive on E-bay. http://stores.ebay.com/GLOBAL-AUTOMOTIVE
I purchased a set for $85.00 + S&H.
Need a Fuel filter, air filter? For the plugs & coils you will need a 7mm socket to remove the hold down bolt on the coil. The spark plugs are 5/8's. I remove the fuel rail on the driver side and push it to the side. An 8mm socket for the two hold down bolts.
For the fuel filter you will need a special fuel line tool.

or

or

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Wow.. I did not think of the fuel filter... Thank you for all the info and help..
I am just praying everything works out..

Morris

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I tuned up my 99 5.4 xlt the thing that made the biggest improvement in the way it runs is when I cleaned the throttle body. I replaced the IAC while I was at it $50 part at autozone. Made a big difference in how the truck runs.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
When I tuned up my 99 5.4 xlt the thing that made the biggest improvement in the way it runs is when I cleaned the throttle body. I replaced the IAC while I was at it $50 part at autozone. Made a big difference in how the truck runs.

ok what is the IAC ??...

Thanks
Morris

Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Idle Air Control valve. It controls the idle rpm and is located at the throttle body.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
JMC

While we are at it, spending your $$$..... How many miles on the O2 sensors?
Bosh recommends changing at 100k.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
While we are at it, spending your $$$..... How many miles on the O2 sensors?
Bosh recommends changing at 100k.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

no idea I just got this truck I only paid $1900 for it ..
the truck looks great inside and out just running Ruff :o
that and the tranys waits to hit drive after being parked for a long time I am
praying the change would help this... That and the A/C stopped working too was working great when i got it two weeks ago been parked waiting for me to work on it....

Thanks
Morris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune up on a 2000 F150 5.4L V2 XLT ???