Door Ajar Signal and Interior Light stays on!!!

Old 01-20-2001, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Door Ajar Signal and Interior Light stays on!!!

Hi, I am writing on my husband's behalf.His door ajar signal will not turn off and his interior light will NOT go out?! My husband's truck does't do it when he gets in and it's cold, but after he has driven the truck, turns it off and gets out then gets back into it again when it's warm, the door ajar chime starts when entering from either door and the interior light will NOT go off. He had to unscrew the bulb and has to endure continual ding ding ding while he is driving it will NOT go off. He did replace the door switch on the passenger's side.. and it didn't help. Does anyone know the solution for this problem. hje has to pull the fuse each night so the battery does not go dead. Thanks, Beth

Old 01-20-2001, 11:16 PM
Try spraying wd-40 in the door latch mechanism. It worked for me.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 01-20-2001, 11:25 PM
He tried that already and like I said replaced the passenger door switch.. I told him to go ahead and replace the driver's side.. guess it can't hurt. If that doesn't help then what??! Thanks for the suggestion though

Old 01-20-2001, 11:57 PM
Are you sure he's doing the WD40 thing the right way? You gotta use the snorkle (red tube) and stick it into the latch and spray a lot into it. Then, you operate the latch a few times. If it doesn't work, try the WD40 one more time. If it fails, you gotta change it.

BTW, we ARE talking about a '97 or newer F-150, aren't we?

Old 01-21-2001, 12:19 AM
Yeah this is a 97 F-150.. 2wd.. and yes he did do exactly that. Your gonna have to take my word for it, my husband DOES know what he's doing. He's rebuilding an 87 Ford Ranger,converting the stick an automatic, and to top that off converting it from 2WD to 4WD. He is also putting in a 5 Litre V-8 from a Ford Mustang. He says, he has that problem and his gas pedal also sticks on occasion. To quote him he says Ford should know it's a p*ss poor design.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:51 PM
gersfeld says:.
To quote him he says Ford should know it's a p*ss poor design.

Can't be too much of a design problem or most of us here would have heard of it. Probably just the other switch or some other very minor problem. No need to junk the whole truck.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:30 PM
I would suspect the drivers side switch more because that door is the most used. Thats the one I sprayed the WD in to fix.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:34 AM
Wink

Well, logically I told him to replace that one first, but since it first started with the passenger door opening he figured that was the offending switch.I am a woman though, not much for cars(although I can ID them better than he can<g> )he knows it all and figures anything I suggest could not possibly be right. So he's gonna try the other switch and if that does the trick, Im gonna say I TOLD YOUUUU!!!(he may know cars but I have the common sense<eg> )

Old 01-23-2001, 11:25 AM
I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be the switch in the drivers side door back by the handle. There was something about the switch being faulty and the tech that did mine said he had replaced more than a few and almost every one of them were on the drivers side.

Just my experience.

------------------
KV
-----
'97 F150 SuperCab 4.6L Auto 2WD
Burgandy
Nerf Bars
Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflo dual 3" pipes
and tipsout the back.
SuperChip
K&N Drop-In Filter
Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs
Manufacturer Supplied flaw for Door Crack
1/4 16.747 @81.73 (this will improve)
Track Time Pics

Old 01-23-2001, 10:43 PM
Thanks, that is the most logical as I see it too. I will tell him exactly what you said. I KNEW help was somewhere on the internet. Personally he's taking forever to replace it.. he wants me to run for the part and I have my hands full now...shh don't tell but I think he likes that ding, ding, ding.... Beth

Old 01-24-2001, 07:09 PM
Got the same problem with the door ajar and lights staying on. To solve my problem I told Ford just to replace the switch, after all the dealer sneaked the extended warranty, so might as well take advantage of it.

1997 F-150

Old 01-24-2001, 07:26 PM
Well he thinks he took care of it.. we will see. He says WD-40 did nothing, but he tried something else now called BP Blaster.. and that did the trick for now. The truck he bought used in good condition, and the extended warranty only applies to the power train.. so.. this better work!

Old 01-26-2001, 01:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gersfeld:
Hi, I am writing on my husband's behalf.His door ajar signal will not turn off and his interior light will NOT go out?! My husband's truck does't do it when he gets in and it's cold, but after he has driven the truck, turns it off and gets out then gets back into it again when it's warm, the door ajar chime starts when entering from either door and the interior light will NOT go off. He had to unscrew the bulb and has to endure continual ding ding ding while he is driving it will NOT go off. He did replace the door switch on the passenger's side.. and it didn't help. Does anyone know the solution for this problem. hje has to pull the fuse each night so the battery does not go dead. Thanks, Beth</font>
I'm having the same problem. I called Forsd and they told me to spray brake cleaner in the door switch. They said that's what they have been doing. I"t hasn't done much to help, and the cab stinks. I was told however that it may be a recall. If you do find out how to fix this please drop me a note.

Thanks Joe

Old 01-26-2001, 10:17 AM
Hi, Yeah in an earlier post I wrote that my husband used something called PB Blaster which is apparently a high level lubricant and he says that did the trick! Try that.. and I hope they do recall. When it first happened and wehad to do fast food places at night with the interior light on and the door ajar light dinging, I broke into hysterical laughter at the sight of us.. made him laugh too..but when you drive a long distance daily it's not funny. Thing is it NEVER happened when he started it cold..only after he warmed it up.. go figure. Beth

Old 01-31-2001, 07:30 PM
Angry

i have the same problem everyone on this page does i'm going to try some of these things and see if they work. but my main point for writing in is that it should be seen that this problem is wide spread enough to warrant a recall!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Ajar Signal and Interior Light stays on!!!