Recurring Starter Problems/1998 F150 XLT

Old 10-14-2000, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the only thing left is the ignition switch. Something may be sticking in it & keeping the solenoid energized. Good luck.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 10-14-2000, 02:56 PM
Red face

Thanks for responding so quickly redlariet. You may have something there. I don't know if this would have anything in the world to do with this starter problem, but the day I purchased the truck at a dealership in Jackson, MS, they could not get the second keyless entry remote to program. They tried doing that clicking thing with the ignition several times, but it would not work and since I only needed one, I didn't think anything of it. Perhaps the ignition switch had a problem from the beginning and it's just recently started affecting the starter. I told the dealership that too, because I noticed when I first went berserk and looked on the internet that there were a lot of Fords that have had all kinds of ignition problems. They never listed F150, 1998 Model though and the dealership I've been taking it to said one problem has nothing to do with the other. At any rate, first thing Monday morning the Service Department is going to love seeing my little face again. I'll give it a try and see if this works. I'll post if it does and send you a million thanks. It's horrible being afraid to go to McDonalds for fear of being mortifiably embarrassed, especially when you paid $23,000 for a truck and thought you had a nice one.

[This message has been edited by Juanita (edited 10-14-2000).]

Old 10-14-2000, 05:30 PM
Redlariet probably has it with the ignition switch. Tell the dealership that the switch has been sticking or 'doesn't feel right' so they have something to write on the work order -- it's a fairly inexpensive fix and sounds logical (be sure to look for evidence of a pinched wire insulation).

Next time the thing acts up -- jiggle the heck out of the ignition switch and see if it stops the run-on.

Old 10-14-2000, 06:29 PM
Thanks to you too Y2K77004X4. I've printed both of your comments and will use them as ammunition Monday morning. I have decided to try the stupid southern belle routine first, as that is one I haven't used yet, but this information will give them something to go on. Seems kind of scary that a "Ford" Dealership Service Dept. wouldn't even consider this. When you think about it, it does make a lot of sense. Wish I had asked ya'll the question 3 months ago. Then I wouldn't have been sitting at home on such a beautiful day! Again, thanks.

Old 10-14-2000, 09:44 PM
Cool

Sounds like you have already got some good advice. If the starter has been grinding very much, you may want to have something written down about possible flywheel damage, for future insurance for when your warranty runs out. Flywheel replacement is not a small job, and I've seen alot of ground down flywheel teeth. This may be or may not be a problem, but just something to consider. Good Luck !

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-14-2000, 10:46 PM
Max Mitchell, that is some great additional advice! I had already wondered about the flywheel, but have been so aggravated with the starter problem, that I haven't been thinking about possible future problems. Believe it or not, I do know what a flywheel is and I would be very surprised if there wasn't damage. As I said before, this has been going on at least 6 months and it has been steadily getting worse. Two days ago, I had to drive it from work to my house (appr. 1 mile) and about 1/2 mile into it, as I was driving down the road with my precious, lovely starter screaming its fool head off, suddenly I heard what sounded like the sound a bad flywheel makes and the screaming starter quit. No telling what it did that time. Ten to One the dealership will tell me they'll check it and won't. You're right, I need to get something in writing about possible flywheel damage. Fortunately, I bought the extended warranty, but I need to check it closely to make sure it covers flywheel damage. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate your taking time to answer.

Old 10-15-2000, 12:51 AM
Angry Recurring Starter Problems/1998 F150 XLT

Is there anyone out there who is having problems with their starter staying engaged after the engine starts? I have had this problem off and on for 6 months. The dealership has replaced a solenoid, a starter gear?, a transmission sensor and put 2 new starters on my truck. Once you start the truck, the starter stays engaged, sometimes quitting once you take off, sometimes not until you are a mile down the road, and really freaky is when it continues to be engaged and squealing its heart out after you take the key out. I am so disgusted and don't know what to do. The dealership says it doesn't know what to do either. My truck has 28,000 miles on it and is under warranty, but the warranty doesn't help if no one knows what's wrong. It is extremely embarrassing and I need some suggestions quickly. ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ANY IDEAS????? PLEASE!!!!

[This message has been edited by Juanita (edited 10-23-2000).]

Old 10-15-2000, 01:36 PM
Cool

You're more than welcome. I'm glad to see that you have the extended warranty. Any grinding causes damage. The starter has few teeth and is easily replaced. The flywheel has many teeth and requires a substantial tear down. Mechanics may hold off on the flywheel if it functions well, but they get to the point where they will not engage at certain positions where the engine stops. I feel bad that you have to go through so much BS, just to drive your truck...lol !!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-18-2000, 05:48 AM
Redlariet, Y2K77004X4 and Max Mitchell:

I took your comments to the Ford Dealership and at first he handed them back to me, but when I said what are you going to do next, the shop foreman took your advice and changed the ignition switch. They still say it could be a "generic module", not sure how to spell it, so they advised that I keep the radio on at all times and if it hangs up the next time and I put the switch in the off position and it's still hung up and the radio is playing, then it's supposedly the gen switch. We'll see; However, I am happy to report that I started it 3 times with no screaming. It'll take a few more than that for me to be comfortable. I still duck my head and squeeze my eyes shut, when I turn the key. Thanks so much for your help!! If if does it again, I'll post what they do. Perhaps our comments can help someone else. Many, Many, Many Thanks to you guys!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Juanita (edited 10-18-2000).]

Old 10-19-2000, 12:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they never suspected or inspected the switch, the service center is stocked with fools.... if you were able to actually demonstrate the problem on a given occasion, all it would have taken is a 12-volt test light and a 16-year ol auto shop student to tell you that the solenoid was still energized. Then, you could disconnect the "fire" wire to the solenoid, turn the key until it got stuck in the "energize" position, and start tracing it back from there without grinding the starter/flywheel assembly to shreds. Incidentally, if it ever does stick again, pop the hood and pull the starter wire off the solenoid and the starter should disengage. If it doesn't, then it means the starter is sticking. I would NEVER EVER drive with the starter still engaged. The starter is meant to turn at 5-8 hundred RPM... I can just imagine what the pinion/armature must look like after being revved to 3 or 4 times it's operating speed! Even if that fixed it, make them drop the starter and inspect the flywheel and starter both! Ask them to see the old starter if they replace it too... you have a right to see it guaranteed by law! (can't necessarily keep it, but you have a right to inspect it)
Keep us posted...

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)
Deposit on '00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Sunroof, currently missing the fuel filler door, but they're working on that..

Old 10-23-2000, 06:15 AM
Well Guys--I was SO SURE that the new ignition switch was the problem. I started my truck probably 25 times with no problem and then bam, it did it again. You just don't know how upset I was. The dealership told me that I needed to keep the radio on and if it did it and the radio was still playing in the off position, then it could be a generic/gen (not sure if I spelled it right) module. I got sure of myself and was so relieved and turned the radio off and freaked so bad when it did it, because it was at the grocery store with 5 or 6 people out front, that I didn't even think about the radio being off or on. Then it quit and it was too late to check it. I've got to call the Dealership today and tell them it did it again. I know they are so sick of hearing my voice and frankly I am too. Any more ideas out there? Woe is me...

Old 12-25-2000, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What did they end up finding with your problem? Mine started doing that the last couple of really cold days... I don't even have 1100 miles on it yet!?!? Nuts!
-Joe-

Old 12-25-2000, 08:53 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GIJoeCam:
What did they end up finding with your problem? Mine started doing that the last couple of really cold days... I don't even have 1100 miles on it yet!?!? Nuts!
-Joe-
</font>

Old 12-25-2000, 08:59 AM
Well, GIJoeCam, the last thing they supposedly did was change that ignition switch. It actually did it a few more times, and I put it in the shop. They claim that they tried to recreate it and actually succeeded once, but it didn't do it long enough for them to do anything positive. They claim to have traced some wires, but honestly said they did nothing and if it did it again, they would have to keep it for several days
, until they could make it stay engaged. Now, for some strange, unknown reason, it has quit. It has probably been a month, since the starter has hung up and when I called the shop foreman to tell him, he still says they don't know what they did, if anything. Either they got a hint from you guys that worked or they truly just don't know. So, to make a long story short, I am no help at all. I sure feel sorry for you and hope yours quits. If it does it again, I'll post and let ya'll know. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recurring Starter Problems/1998 F150 XLT