3rd brake light wireing?

Old 06-05-2000, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd brake light wireing?

Does anyone know where the 3rd brake light wire is? I got a cap installed and they just hooked it up to the left turn signal. Works great when appling the brakes, but, not so great when appling the brakes and turning left! Any answers? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2000, 10:45 AM
The brake light wire runs from the brake light switch up the sterring column to the turn signal switch where it becomes two wires, one to each rear light. It also runs from the brake light switch to the roof mounted cyclops brake light.

There is no brake light wire outside of the cab. You will need to run a wire from your cap mounted brake light up to the brake light switch itself. I don't have my service manuals here at work, but I can look up the color code of the wire for you at home if you need it.

Old 06-09-2000, 04:58 PM
Thanks Hawkeye... I guess I'll have to run a wire into the cab. I was hopeing to be able to run a wire from the fuse block or somethng on the outside of the truck. Just thought it would be easier than removeing the liner, etc. Hey just a thought, I have a 7 pin wireing harness for my trailer, would I be able to get a solid brake light from that? If so do you know what color the wire is? Thanks Ron

------------------
99 F150 Super Cab Long Box XLT 4X4

[This message has been edited by Hmmm (edited 06-09-2000).]

Old 06-09-2000, 06:22 PM
Cool

I just had a problem with a 2000 3rd brake light and have been all through it. There is a light green wire that runs from your brake position switch on your brake pedal, it goes up to the multifunction switch and to the 3rd brake light and to an optional aftermarket plug. The wire runs from the multi-f'up switch across the main harness under the dash over to the right kick panel where there is a factory connector. From there is runs along the passenger side door sill plate, up the rear pillar and to the light. Hope that helps....

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Lund Lunar Visor, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 06-10-2000, 04:15 AM
Thanks for your input on this Sycoholic.

What I think I'll try first is to see if I can't get a solid Brakeing circuit from my trailer wireing harness first. If not I will certainly give it a gander. Thanks for your response.

------------------
99 F150 Super Cab Long Box XLT 4X4

Old 06-10-2000, 10:20 AM
Cool

No prob.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Lund Lunar Visor, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 06-12-2000, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, sorry I did not get back to this sooner (rough weekend). No, unfortunately the 7 pin connector does not have a single brake light wire going to it.

[This message has been edited by Hawkeye (edited 06-12-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 02:30 PM
Lightbulb

A topper dealer in my area hooked up mine just by running wires to one of the the brake lights in the rear of the truck. He said there was a need for another ground wire-- this was the part that most novices (ME) didn't know. Anyway he had it done in about 15 minutes and did NOT have to run any wires to the cab!! Charged me 10 bucks-- and I did not get my used topper from him -- Great Guy!!

------------------
99 F-150 XLT 4X4 SC SB AT 5.4
3.55LS Tow pkg Rhino Liner
Bright Red/Gold

Old 06-13-2000, 10:13 PM
Hawkeye:
Are you sure? I have electric brakes on my tandom trailer. They seem to work properly with the setup I have. It's a factory installed 7 pin trailer wireing harness. (Not the standard 4 pin...).
Thanks Ron

Old 06-14-2000, 09:38 AM
Hi Ron, I checked the wiring diagram that came in the glove box with the factory 7 pin to 4 pin adapter.

The signal that makes your trailer brakes work comes from your aftermarket trailer brake controller and not directly from your brake light switch. You might be able to use this wire, but doing so might cause your trailer brakes to act up - a dangerous situation. A single brake light bulb draws about 3 amps, which may be more extra load than your brake controller can handle.

I don't have the diagram in front of me right this minute, but as I remember the 7 pins are Left brake light, Right brake light, Tail lights, Backup lights, Trailer brake signal, Ground, +12 volts. If you don't have your diagram anymore I can scan mine and email it to you, or fax it to you.

The easiest thing to do might be to get one of those wiring adapters that come with add on rear window cyclops lights. They have two inputs (left brake, right brake) and one output (brakes). Then you could hook into the trailer connector wiring or the brake light wiring, whichever is easier.

Let me know if you want a copy of the factory diagram. You can email me at
dc.hawkins@mindspring.com

Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd brake light wireing?