Chipmunk in heater vent system

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipmunk in heater vent system

Here's a new problem...I have a chipmunk (not chip or dale) which has set up shop in the blower motor of my heating system in a 2001 F-150. I had heard a flapping sound from the blower, took it out and found a paper towel. Took if out, re-installed the motor and it worked fine...Truck sat a 3 hours and when started the blower motor was making another racket..Had to work next morning so didn't use the blower because of the noise and then on the way home this little rodent comes out from under the drivers side runs around and climbs back up under the dash on the passenger side. When I get home, take out the blower motor again and it's full of foam, and bits of insulation from the pad under the hood and two dead baby chipmunks also fall out. I cleaned everything, left doors open, blew the vents with compressor air. Not sure if the little &*&** is gone.
Question is how did the little *&^* get into the vent system and any suggestions on how to get it out, scare it out, smoke it out etc... Don't want the thing dying in the vents...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by donboire
Here's a new problem...I have a chipmunk (not chip or dale) which has set up shop in the blower motor of my heating system in a 2001 F-150. I had heard a flapping sound from the blower, took it out and found a paper towel. Took if out, re-installed the motor and it worked fine...Truck sat a 3 hours and when started the blower motor was making another racket..Had to work next morning so didn't use the blower because of the noise and then on the way home this little rodent comes out from under the drivers side runs around and climbs back up under the dash on the passenger side. When I get home, take out the blower motor again and it's full of foam, and bits of insulation from the pad under the hood and two dead baby chipmunks also fall out. I cleaned everything, left doors open, blew the vents with compressor air. Not sure if the little &*&** is gone.
Question is how did the little *&^* get into the vent system and any suggestions on how to get it out, scare it out, smoke it out etc... Don't want the thing dying in the vents...
That's funny I had a Hamster set up shop in my wifes Grand Am. We bought 2 of them to feed to the pet alligator we had at the time. One escaped and camped out in the car somewhere.

Your best bet is to set a Rat trap and bait it with Chipmunk food (which I'm sure is any kind of food, peanut butter, cheese, I think I used a Pretzel Combo). Set the trap on the floor at night. If he's there, he'll eventually get hungry and find his way into the cab again.

I used the sticky trap initially but that didn't hold him. The Combo was gone and the trap had moved about a foot. So the next day, I got a Rat trap, the spring kind that snap their neck and kills them instantly. Done deal. It's worth a shot.

BTW - We have sinced nicknamed the car "The Grand Hamster"...

Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Those are some crazy stories! But seriously, PET alligator???

Down here we dont have chipmunks or alligator food, but we do have barn rats. Ive heard a few stories of farmers/ranchers who leave their truck parked in or near the barn and get rats in them. Most of these stories end in rats ground up by the motor, but I heard a doozie recently. One lady at work was driving away from home and noticed the A/C wasnt working. Didnt have time to take it in that day. Next day she is coming in and now the radio and A/C are not working, plus some interior lights. She calls and makes an appointment with the dealership for service the following day. Next day she is leaving the house and her truck will not turn on at all. She has to get it towed to the dealership. Needless to say they found several wiring harnesses that were chewed up to nothing. They set out rat traps around the truck and caught two overnight. Price of repairs - $3300.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=jrb03]Those are some crazy stories! But seriously, PET alligator??? [QUOTE]

Yeh, it was kind of crazy. He was about 3 and 1/2 feet from head to tail. He wasn't big at all, but big enough to scare the chit out of people when we would bring him out at parties.

I don't doubt it about the rodents though and chewing wiring harnesses. I've heard similar stories. They will tear a car up.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I think the rodent is gone. Haven't seen or heard it since the first posting...

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
squirrel

my friend at work went to start his truck to go home and nothing happened.
he opened the hood and a squirrel was in there and had chewed through all his injector wiring harness's and through anotheer loom also.
cost $3,000 to repair LOL
wasn't a warranty repair either so he's trying to get his insurance to pay it

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I had a rodent crawl in my engine compartment, two weeks after I got the truck brand new. My engine light came on so I took it to the dealership and they found the nest under my intake. $600.00 dollars later. Not covered under warranty. Dealership told me its a common thing. I got out of it cheap. They will short out the computer and then big bucks. I got $500.00 ded on my insurance. I didn't turn it into my insurance not for $100.00.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by 05extcabflare
I had a rodent crawl in my engine compartment, two weeks after I got the truck brand new. My engine light came on so I took it to the dealership and they found the nest under my intake. $600.00 dollars later. Not covered under warranty. Dealership told me its a common thing. I got out of it cheap. They will short out the computer and then big bucks. I got $500.00 ded on my insurance. I didn't turn it into my insurance not for $100.00.

how do you like the pro comps. I am going to get same.
for towing is your suspension stock or did you add a leaf??
I just bought a 25' trailer but havent picked it up yet.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:46 AM
That's pretty cool... another member with a pet gator we had one we brought back from louisiana a few years back. he would eat cat food pellets, they would float in the water. he was definately the favorite at parties and i would take him out and lay him on my chest. i'd let him swim in the bathtub when i cleaned out his 150 gal. aquarium and on ocasion i'd let him run around the living room. we took him back to the bayou and let him go when he got about 3 ft.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by zotman21
how do you like the pro comps. I am going to get same.
for towing is your suspension stock or did you add a leaf??
I just bought a 25' trailer but havent picked it up yet.
I like the procomps. They are a little to wide. My suspension is stock except for the front leveling kit. I got the sway bars,torsion bar. When sway bars are hooked up, the rear of the truck doesn't drop. I put sway bar chains on link 5 or 6 link. My truck sits level with the camper connected.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to recall a story on this site from a few years back about a guy who was moving to a different appartment and had his pet snake with him in his F150 cab. Well, seems the snake escaped and crawled up into his heater system and DIED! Naturally, his truck smelled like dead snake and he was asking how to remove the smell.

Wonder how he ever made out?

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chipmunk in heater vent system