Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dark side... Rhino Liner?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dark side... Rhino Liner?

Ok, so long story short I can get the hook up on a Rhino Liner for my Super Duty. What are the pros and cons about it? Do they still fade quickly like they used to? I'm not planning on keeping this Super Duty forever, but I don't want something that'll turn chalky in 2 years... I can get my long bed lined for $350, which is a lot cheaper than Line - X in the area. But, if Line - X is *that* much better, than I will coin out the extra money for that...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm not sure about how Rhino holds up these days as far as gettin' chalky (yeah I've seen that plenty), all I can say about what they do currently is this..

Friend of mine at work bought a '08 KR and the dealer gave him a coupon to have Rhino done.

He did it and it looks awful. It's very glossy/shiny, but also very uneven looking with big gloopy runs and streaks on the sides. He's extemely unhappy about it.

I'll try and remember to take my camera to work tomorrow and snap a couple pics.

It's a gorgeous truck with a nasty looking bed..

Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
I'm not sure about how Rhino holds up these days as far as gettin' chalky (yeah I've seen that plenty), all I can say about what they do currently is this..

Friend of mine at work bought a '08 KR and the dealer gave him a coupon to have Rhino done.

He did it and it looks awful. It's very glossy/shiny, but also very uneven looking with big gloopy runs and streaks on the sides. He's extemely unhappy about it.

I'll try and remember to take my camera to work tomorrow and snap a couple pics.

It's a gorgeous truck with a nasty looking bed..
Same with my 98... go with the Line-X.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too would have to recomend the line-x its worth the extra coin, maybe tell line-x what the rhino lining is hooking up with and maybe you can get them to work with you a little bit. I went through my ford dealer and got an extra $100 off the price! Just an idea.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Dealer did my line-x, its been great so far, but I think that its actually fading a little as well. Tough as nails though. I always thought it would be cool to get a line-x done, then put a non-skid plastic linear over it. Way overkill, but awesome protection!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Here's the deal:

1. Looks only: Both regular Rhino and regular LINE-X will fade over time if exposed to the sun. However, it's my opinion that Rhino fades faster than LINE-X. Both companies offer optional UV protection but hands down, LINE-X's is better. (Actually, what Rhino uses now is what LINE-X used to use.) Rhino currently uses a polyurethane topcoat that sits on top of the bedliner and only achieves a chemical bond. The problem is that you MIGHT wear through this topcoat. LINE-X's product, called Xtra which is made by DuPont only for LINE-X, actually migrates into the bedliner achieving a more desirable mechanical bond (along with a chemical bond at the surface). Xtra also contains Dupont Kevlar for superior durability.

2. Function only: I have the technical data sheet of Rhino Tuff Grip and Hardline. LINE-X has a 33.1% higher tear resistance than either of Rhino's products as well as a 50 degree higher temperature tolerance.

This is a picture of a black LINE-X Xtra bedliner that's AT LEAST two years old. The floor is a little dirty but other than that it's black and sparkles in the sun like the day it was applied.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 03-28-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
line-x

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I got both liners so i'll input a little.

My '05 Silverado 2500HD 6'5 bed had a Rhino liner installed by the dealer I got it from in April 2007. I used the hell out of it and threw quite a bit at it, after the 6th month I noticed how it look much more gray than it did when I first got it when it was black. But not a nick or cut in it anywhere.

My F150 has a Line-X liner in it and it appears that its been there for quite some time, and its still black

None the less both liners are great, Line-X is better for those who want a tough & nice looking liner, Rhino is for those that may not mind a little gray ( it'll match the bed rail caps though! ) and possibly have a tonneau. $350 for the Rhino is a great deal though. Just make sure they dont overspray your bed bolts. My Chevys bed is completley covered, so there pretty much no getting that bed off..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The dark side... Rhino Liner?