Rear Seat Risers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Seat Risers

I need about 2 more inches under my rear seat in my 1999 X-Cab. I know LMI Welding makes some for my truck, but they want $125 for them. Anyone know where I can get some cheaper? Could I just get like 2"-thick aluminum plates or something and use longer bolts? Any other suggestions?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
you could do that but you would be putting your passengers lives in jeopardy if you got in a wreck

Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
you could do that but you would be putting your passengers lives in jeopardy if you got in a wreck
...But you're saying it IS still possible, right?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
It wouldn't be that easy I don't think. The 60% seat the bolts go in at an angle. It could be done but would be a pain. A guy on here said his dad owned a machine shop and hat it would be cheaper for him to buy them to make them.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your planning on putting subs underneath your rear seat, there is no need for risers. i have an 01 supercab with 2 Kicker 10" under the rear seat. i didnt have to anything to the seat, and the seats still fold down and latch. However, i dont know if the 99's had a shallower floor in the rear, but i dont think they do, correct me if im wrong. the only thing you might have to do is buy some risers for the box, because it might be too shallow for the subs to fit.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
if your planning on putting subs underneath your rear seat, there is no need for risers. i have an 01 supercab with 2 Kicker 10" under the rear seat. i didnt have to anything to the seat, and the seats still fold down and latch. However, i dont know if the 99's had a shallower floor in the rear, but i dont think they do, correct me if im wrong. the only thing you might have to do is buy some risers for the box, because it might be too shallow for the subs to fit.
I think the Scabs have more room (I think there might have also been some changes from '99 to '01, but maybe not). Either way, I have 7.5" (at the deepest point), and I need 1.5" bewteen the sub face and the floor (downfiring subs), then .5" between the magnet and the box, then about 3/8" (I think) for the thickness of the MDF in the back (the MDF in the front of the box is negligable because it is included in the speaker mounting depth, since the face/lip of the speaker sits on the front of the box, if that makes sense). All that random space adds up to 2 3/8" (2.375") of my available 7.5", leaving a total of 5 1/8" (5.125") for my total speaker mounting depth. Which... I'm still looking around for the exact subs I want, but 5.125" is looking pretty shallow for a decent-sized sub.

SOOO... in summary of a long-winded answer, I think I need seat risers. So anyone know of a cheaper riser than the LMI Welding ones??

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by GrifN
I think the Scabs have more room (I think there might have also been some changes from '99 to '01, but maybe not). Either way, I have 7.5" (at the deepest point), and I need 1.5" bewteen the sub face and the floor (downfiring subs), then .5" between the magnet and the box, then about 3/8" (I think) for the thickness of the MDF in the back (the MDF in the front of the box is negligable because it is included in the speaker mounting depth, since the face/lip of the speaker sits on the front of the box, if that makes sense). All that random space adds up to 2 3/8" (2.375") of my available 7.5", leaving a total of 5 1/8" (5.125") for my total speaker mounting depth. Which... I'm still looking around for the exact subs I want, but 5.125" is looking pretty shallow for a decent-sized sub.

SOOO... in summary of a long-winded answer, I think I need seat risers. So anyone know of a cheaper riser than the LMI Welding ones??
I think you might be right. my cousin has a 98, and his rear seats do that fold out thing....do yours do that?

anyways, i think i had a 7.5" under my seat, but i will have to check. however, i dont have a MDF box...i dont think....but i have a picture of the box under the seat in my gallery if you want to check it out.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I think you might be right. my cousin has a 98, and his rear seats do that fold out thing....do yours do that?
Yeah, my seats fold forward and sit on the floor, so the back seat area is a flat surface that is raised 7.5" off the floor. But if I put a box under my seat, they won't fold all the way forward. Not to mention, if I raise my seat, they will no longer lay on the floor, because the seat cushions are as thick as the stock seat height (from the floor to the bottom of the seat). So if I raise my seat and the cushions stay the same thickness, they won't lay flat on the floor. But this isn't really a big concern of mine.

anyways, i think i had a 7.5" under my seat, but i will have to check. however, i dont have a MDF box...i dont think....but i have a picture of the box under the seat in my gallery if you want to check it out.
I think your seats are higher than mine, so you don't need a riser. At least, the box sold on supercrewsound.com for an '01 Xcab doesn't come with one, but one comes with the box I would need if I bought it off of there. And you probably have an MDF box, covered in carpet. Your box looks like this one, and that is MDF wrapped in carpet. The fast majority of prefabbed boxes made now are MDF. It's cheaper (and lighter, I think) than plywood, and a buttload easier than fiberglass (obviously).

Last edited by GrifN; 03-25-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 PM
dirtyd88 where did you get your box at and for how much and how does your subs sound. Thanks man

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by BEAST 150 4X4
dirtyd88 where did you get your box at and for how much and how does your subs sound. Thanks man
i got my box at a local mini-mart close to my home town. it set be back about $75 and 2 risers/shams @ $5 each. the box isnt MDF though, but it still sound pretty dang loud. I am going to record a video of my subs tomorow, and will post the link back on this thread. so check back here about 6-7 p.m.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKXX4R_3I3M

here is the link to my sub video. hope its clear enough.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

dude....make some out of wood. that's what i have in my truck. not sure if yours is much different than my 03 screw up it works for me.

by the way the bolts hold the seat in not the spacers. you could use anything underthere and as long as the bolts are just as strong as the factory bolts you won't be putting anyone in danger.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
by the way the bolts hold the seat in not the spacers. you could use anything underthere and as long as the bolts are just as strong as the factory bolts you won't be putting anyone in danger.
I was just worried that by adding spacers and keeping the stock bolts the same length might add some extra torque on the bolts, giving them the greater possibility of shearing. But I'm not a physics whiz. I was just thinking that the added height may give that little bit of extra leverage in torquing the bolts and shearing them in half. Am I just being paranoid? Can someone with a greater knowledge of physics confirm or deny this claim?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM

i'm no physics expert either but i know that if u hit something hard enough to sheer the bolts holding in the back seat, the bolts breaking will be the least of your concerns.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM

I just saw what u said about keeping the stock bolts. I don't think u will be able to use the stock bolts you would have to buy some longer ones.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Risers