sound like a tractor trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound like a tractor trailer

Hello. I have a 2003 Supercrew F150 5.4 and last night my engine started to sound like a tractor trailer. I popped the hood and it looks as the fan will not turn off and it goes with the rpms?(not sure if thats normal) the faster i rev the engine the faster that gets. I assume im find to drve car it is forcing air into engine im just going to use little more gas. Anyone have any clues as to whats going on. It sounds like a big gust of wind (it sounds like when you hear tractor trailer shift and it like woooo then they shift and you hear again. what could that be) I try to get a video

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy has been doing something like that for ages. Called a centrifgual clutch. When chevys take off they sound like they are going 100 mph. LMFAO

Check out the cluch, belts, pulleys, etc?

Centrifugal clutches, some cars and mopeds have a centrifugal clutch, using centrifugal effects to engage the clutch above certain rpm, see Saxomat.
A centrifugal clutch works through centrifugal force. The input of the clutch is connected to the engine crankshaft while the output may drive a shaft, chain, or belt. As engine RPM increases, weighted arms in the clutch swing outward and force the clutch to engage. The most common types have friction pads or shoes radially mounted that engage the inside of the rim of a housing.

Last edited by OrdnanceCorps; 03-24-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Does it only do it during a startup or slow speed travel?

Mine only does it when I first start it up in the morning... or if I do around 1600 rpms in a low gear.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
The fan clutch is fluid filled, once a certain temp. is reached the fluid expands into the chambers that cause the clutch to engage. If the ambient temps are very low it can affect the fluid flow, and cause the clutch not to disengage upon crankup.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Does it only do it during a startup or slow speed travel?

Mine only does it when I first start it up in the morning... or if I do around 1600 rpms in a low gear.
Crankup and within the first minute afterward it is normal operation for the clutch to be engaged.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
The clutch is probably gone, if you cannot turn it by hand (engine off of course) then something is wrong. I spent the $150 and built my own Efan kit. You dont really need a mech. fan anyways...waste of energy.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd replace the clutch...

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey guys thanks for the feed back. today i went out and took another look at it and it is really hard to turn the fan. I am thinking that is the clutch and when i do turn it i hear a squel like scrapping metal at some point. i am assuming it is going to fully lock up and just keep spinning one day. My question is i have to drive 1000 miles today and i was wondering if it was ok for me to drive my car like this. I also compared to my sister pathfinder v6 and that fan spins rather easily and my moms volvo s60 and that spins very easily.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It's safe to drive with a locked up fan clutch as long as the hub isn't wobbling. It's just annoying.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Fan Clutch

I hate my fan clutch. I hate it more after I replaced it. When it crapped out originally, the fan would ROAR after I came out of a passing gear. It was soooooooooo loud. I replaced it and that stopped. But now the fan roars on start up or when the outside temp. hits about 85. (I have the plastic fan BTW.)
It's been cold for a few days, but when it's warm, that thing spins right up and roars away. Its so stupidly loud. My logic on replacing the clutch instead of going to electric fans was simple. As long as the motor is turning I am getting air.
I should have gone electric. The damn fan actually drowns the sound of my exhaust out when I am cruising around town! If you have to get on the gas to pass or accelerate, that damn clutch ROARS to life. I can tell it is working, but it seems like I actually lose power when it comes on. I think it is the perception that I making all this damn noise but not really accelerating.......

My wifes electric fans work great on her 1999 Mazda Protege ES. It's super quite............no roar.
WTF Ford.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:01 PM
i dont think ive ever seen a truck with a stock electric fan.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
It shouldn't do this all the time, once in a while maybe and go away after a few hundred feet yes. The clutch has probably gone kaput. It will gobble up gas if it's gone. I like the e-fan kit I installed but even still a new fan clutch isn't that much $$$ and easy to replace. Just because it's hard to turn doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. If it sounds like a 1986 era GMC Astro van or a semi with the fan locked (electrically) then ya, get a new one.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
I hate my fan clutch. I hate it more after I replaced it. When it crapped out originally, the fan would ROAR after I came out of a passing gear. It was soooooooooo loud. I replaced it and that stopped. But now the fan roars on start up or when the outside temp. hits about 85. (I have the plastic fan BTW.)
It's been cold for a few days, but when it's warm, that thing spins right up and roars away. Its so stupidly loud. My logic on replacing the clutch instead of going to electric fans was simple. As long as the motor is turning I am getting air.
I should have gone electric. The damn fan actually drowns the sound of my exhaust out when I am cruising around town! If you have to get on the gas to pass or accelerate, that damn clutch ROARS to life. I can tell it is working, but it seems like I actually lose power when it comes on. I think it is the perception that I making all this damn noise but not really accelerating.......

My wifes electric fans work great on her 1999 Mazda Protege ES. It's super quite............no roar.
WTF Ford.
My 01 is acting the same way so I think it's time to replace the fan clutch. Try hooking a 10,000 pound trailer behind the wife's protege and see how those fans work

Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
i dont think ive ever seen a truck with a stock electric fan.
Our 2005 chevy silverado at work has dual stock electric fans....

Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by NYfordguy
Our 2005 chevy silverado at work has dual stock electric fans....
You'd probably have better luck pulling with the protege. Sorry I had too. If you really use your truck I'd have to say go with the factory fan, If it's transportation You could free up some power and maybee a bit of mileage with an electric.

Quick Reply: sound like a tractor trailer