Grease ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grease ball joints

Hey all,

I took my 01 f150 in today and they mechanic says my driver side ball joints are starting to squeak. I recently replaced the upper ball joints but not the lower. He says the upper joints don't have a grease nipple and thinks they may be a little dry. Can i grease the upper joints myself, and how would i do this? Also, the mechanic was unaware if it's the upper or lower joints that were causing the noise, but he said they weren't loose. Anyone know how much longer I may have if they are going bad?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

What type of upper ball joints did you replace with? OEM, or a set of ball joints that have a threaded hole on them for a Zirk fitting(MOOG)? If there is an acceptable amount of play in the joints than you should be fine. It is probably some bushings that are squeaking. Does it happen when you are turning the wheels or any time you hit a bump? It could be a pitman arm, could be lower bushings, many things in the front end can cause a squeak.

Last edited by R1Jester; 03-11-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Suspended
I had a 00 F150 that had to be sprayed with grease to keep it from squeeking. Either that, or replace the front end joints. I wish I could describe what had to be sprayed. Did it about every 3-4 months, otherwise it sounded like the upper ball joints. The lowers were replaced, and had zirk fittings.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
They were ordered from Ford. There's no threaded hole for fittings. The squeak happens when I'm getting in and out of the truck and turning the wheel left. It squeaked this morning when I pulled the tire off too. They aren't loose but the squeak is pissin me off! It isn't the tie rods because they didn't squeak when I turned em.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Suspended
Try spraying it with some lube, then push the front bumper up and down to see if it worked...

Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Skyblaster7
They were ordered from Ford. There's no threaded hole for fittings. The squeak happens when I'm getting in and out of the truck and turning the wheel left. It squeaked this morning when I pulled the tire off too. They aren't loose but the squeak is pissin me off! It isn't the tie rods because they didn't squeak when I turned em.

Sounds just like the same problem I was having, any time I got in the truck, turned the wheel, or hit a bump, it squeaked/creaked. Replaced upper and lower ball joints with Moog's and the squeak was gone. Have someone rock the truck while you listen in closer for the squeak, maybe spray some bushings to see if that helps anything.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Does Moog make lower ball joints? I'm having trouble finding them. Anyone know of a good site? Thanks for the help guys. Also, how hard is it to change the ball joints yourself?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Summit was where I got my upper and lowers...
Lower Ball Joints by Moog

If you have a good set of tools, time, and patience(with a little mechanical aptitude), you could change them out on your own. Lowers are more difficult than uppers. I started a thread on mine recently here

Last edited by R1Jester; 03-11-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately had the same problem. Getting in and out they would sqeak. Another trap by Ford for you to come an dbuy replacement parts, they did not incorporate the zirk fitting. I took a grease gun, attatched a needle, poke holes in the boots and never heard the sqeak again. If your ball joints arent bad, and you dont have cash to replace them because of a sqeak, it works good. I did not seal the holes though. I guess you could put silicone over the tiny hole. . .

Old 03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
Definately had the same problem. Getting in and out they would sqeak. Another trap by Ford for you to come an dbuy replacement parts, they did not incorporate the zirk fitting. I took a grease gun, attatched a needle, poke holes in the boots and never heard the sqeak again. If your ball joints arent bad, and you dont have cash to replace them because of a sqeak, it works good. I did not seal the holes though. I guess you could put silicone over the tiny hole. . .
The grease didn't force it's way back out the holes?

Last edited by Skyblaster7; 03-11-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyblaster7
The grease didn't force it's way back out the holes?

Surprisingly, no. I did it about 10,000 miles ago too. Not a sqeak, moan, or groan from them.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
Surprisingly, no. I did it about 10,000 miles ago too. Not a sqeak, moan, or groan from them.
How much grease did you put in it? Mine appear to be pretty dry. Do I just stick the needle in the boot and start squirting?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 AM
hwo did you attach a needle to your grease gun?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 AM
the only problem i see with this idea is that the grease does not get under the ball socket where the contact actually is. it will only sit on top and fill the boot. fyi it is usually the lowers that creak/squeek as that is the load carying joint.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
the only problem i see with this idea is that the grease does not get under the ball socket where the contact actually is. it will only sit on top and fill the boot. fyi it is usually the lowers that creak/squeek as that is the load carying joint.
So you think I should just try to grease the lowers?

Quick Reply: Grease ball joints